Which Rpgs' From This Generation Will Go Down As

jayboy

Huge Star Wars fan, but I'm nearly at the end of KOTOR and it's been nothing but a slog. It's my first Bioware RPG and I really haven't enjoyed it.

All this talk of twists - am I missing something? I found out what I assume was the 'twist' (previous identity) and I don't get how people didn't see it coming a mile away, it was telegraphed fairly heavy-handedly at several points in the first half of the game.

I still can't believe the love and respect it gets from everywhere. I must be missing something. It's clunky, buggy as hell, user-unfriendly (the inventory management is just a nightmare to get through) and pretty much badly executed. And I haven't found it fun at all. Quite a StarWarsy atmosphere, mind you. :P

GBA Fire Emblem (and fingers crossed for the GC one as well, but I'm not keen on those 3D combat animations... :P ). I know loads of people hated it because of the characters dieing off and replayed missions over and over but I liked the tension of it. Really simple idea but one that adds a lot to the game.

I come from a non-RPG background but I got a chance to play Tales of Symphonia earlier this year and must say I was mighty impressed with almost every element of the game. However, because of said background I can't really say whether it warrants being deemed a classic, at least not by the genre's criterion, whatever that might be. Suffice to say it was one of the better games I played this year.

I really enjoyed Fire Emblem on the GBA as well, it kept me occupied for a whole summer away from my other gaming hardware. It's more like a fantasy Advance Wars than a full blown RPG as it's all about the combat but the game has a fantastic sense of balance and while the plot is ultimately pretty cliched and hokey it's livened up immesurably by the humerous and well written banter between the characters. Highly reccomended, one of my top five games of the year.

Surely Planescape Torment and Deus Ex are pevious generation titles? No? I know, I know it's not a big thing. Anyway of what I've played of recent RPG's I have found Tales of Symphonia the most enjoyable. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne is also coming across as very good, due to the well realised battle system.

Can honestly say that I haven't played any RPGs of late that I would deem worthy as being a classic.

Last fantastic RPG I played was Star Ocean : Second Story... and that was quite a while ago.

If there had to be 3 RPGs to go down as classics I'd say the following :

Shadow Hearts 2 : Convanent

Nightmare of Druaga

Shining Tears

Agreed, in fact I'm shocked by just how much better RPGs were in the SNES/Playstation era compared to the boring old toss out now.

Square haven't made a good game since... well before FF X anyway and lord knows I thought KotOR was a snooze-fest.

Disgaea showed real promise, but I didn't get to play it all that much. Think I might get that and Tales of Symphonia some time in the near future, they were critcally well recevied and I've heard nary a bad word against them.

Ho hum.... more modern games are rubbish talk. Nonsence I say. This generation has produced just as many classics imho.

Personal votes for classic status:

Tales of Symphonia - this gens Secret of Mana I reckon; beautiful, classic stylings and wonderfully playable.

Xenosaga episode 1 - epic stiring space opera that demands to be continued, excellent battle system too

La Pucelle Tatics - I maintain this is better then Disgaea, sufficent twists on SRPG formula but better characterisation and plot. Probably my most enjoyable gaming of the year.

I will never, ever forget Baldurs Gate 2: Shadows of Amn. My favorite PC RPG ever. Morrowind, Planescape and Gothic close behind.

The add-on pack was good; the different endings, and the little bits at the end which told you what happened to the characters in your party was inspired.

And Minsc remains the greatest RPG character EVER.

I'd like to say Unlimited Saga, just for the box art which is totally ace.  Hope the game is half decent.

Uh oh!

(There's secretly a lot that's great about Unlimited SaGa, but it's very easy to sit through the stunningly-animated intro, be dropped into the rather cheap-looking, flickscreen game proper, die within five minutes of play and instantly despise everything about it. Stick with it, make sure you read the manual at least twenty-seven times and digest one or two GameFAQs files on it for good measure, then sit back and enjoy an entirely different kind of RPG. Then die within five minutes of play, etc.)

deus ex and 2 were the last RPG's i plaid. First one was very immersive the second one not so much but helped by the fact i plaid the first.

What do you guys recommend i get?

Tales of Symphonia / Paper Mario / KOTOR? I'm not a huge starwars fan but i do like Sci-Fi shit.

I really don't understand the respect that KoTOR gets, it quite overrated. Fine as an initial franchise builder, but it's flawed. I think this gen has been one of slow evolution for RPG's, nothing has really come out that changes the way we look at them or made a giant step forward (with the possible exception of Morrowind, but then that a game that is flawed as well).

agree 100%, and i hope fable's ideas will be combined with other things so we can get to my dream game already.

Definitely then. KotOR is set a very long time before Star Wars, while the mysticism of it is certainly in place (and handled better than anything since ep4) they've taken the basic ideas of the series and created their own utterly facinating world from it.

Or utterly hum-drum, depending on whom you ask.

Once you get over the initial coolness of upgrading your star wars -ey equipment (dark jedi robe +3 ?!!!), you realize that everything about the game is totally drab, from the characters' awful and cliched stories to the vomitous puzzles you need to solve to the sleeper combat. The ONLY thing I like about KOTOR is that it's the first bit of Star Wars that I have ever come across (and I used to be a huge fan) that made me feel like "Hey, I can understand where these Sith guys are coming from.. They're just Nietzscheans, and that's cool, man. Now, if only this computer game would give me some options for interacting with the world that weren't Newborn Baby Naive +7"

Here's what I think about RPGs right now. I'm fucking bummed out, man. Where the Hell (with a capital H) is my totally wonderful, epic, deep, twisting, sprite-based beauty of an RPG that takes the best out of action RPGs like Secret of Mana and Zelda and even Castlevania: SOTN and Deus Ex, out of Strategy RPGs like Disgaea and Fire Emblem, and out of JRPGs like FF6 and Earthbound and mixes the elements together with L337 care, combining the genres in a way that actually works, and then gives it to me with the kind of world-interacting possibility and logical experience system of Fable? And then comes out with an MMO version the next year?

IS IT SO HARD PEOPLE??! There are so many totally different games waiting to be made; bust up these retarded genres. They're boring me to death. I woke up yesterday wanting to play a Zelda game with an FF6-level plot and a less puzzly/item based system of equipment/experience. What is a guy like me supposed to do?

Semi-serious : The best RPG this year was GTA by a country mile. Thats the direction RPG's should begin to head in IMO. Hide all the stats, all the +3 Blood Axe with fire jewel upgrade, a modern non cliched fantasy or scifi setting, they need to attempt to bring in the masses rather than a targeted hardcore. (IMO)

Semi-serious : The best RPG this year was GTA by a country mile. Thats the direction RPG's should begin to head in IMO. Hide all the stats, all the +3 Blood Axe with fire jewel upgrade, a modern non cliched fantasy or scifi setting, they need to attempt to bring in the masses rather than a targeted hardcore. (IMO)

that sounds close to what i wanted from fable.

deus ex and 2 were the last RPG's i plaid. First one was very immersive the second one not so much but helped by the fact i plaid the first.

What do you guys recommend i get?

Fable and KotOR.

Another vote for Disgaea. It has brilliant gameplay, tons of humour and charm, and a story that - while fairly standard fare - is both immersive and enjoyable.

The add-on pack was good; the different endings, and the little bits at the end which told you what happened to the characters in your party was inspired.

And Minsc remains the greatest RPG character EVER.

Could someone give this bloke a price. He is in the know.