IGNORED

Psp Hardware/opinions

rllmuk

Every single report I have read from people who already have their units have been nothing but absolutely positive.

I think someone might not have been lucky enough to get a PSP on launch, so has decided to start a little rumour :)

I hope you're right, I really do.

Those screenshots don't really impress, first is too compressed, second is too small.

Gamespot breaks silence on battery life:

The PSP's battery life has been the subject of much speculation. After having spent some time with a PSP, a couple of games, and a demo disc that essentially serves as a movie, there's a few things we know.

Sony has rated the battery life to be around the six hour mark when playing games. So far, that seems to be accurate. Games--at least the ones we've seen so far--seem to be pretty good about only spinning the disc when needed. Movies, however, are streaming off the disc at a pretty constant rate, so it seems like you'll get less movie time than game time, but exactly how much less is a little tougher to figure. I would also imagine that the lower power requirements of reading the memory stick means that movies playing off of a stick wouldn't take as much as reading a movie from a UMD. We'll be putting that to the test soon.

The PSP has a pretty detailed battery info screen. Here, it gives you the remaining juice as a percentage, and as an hours/minutes calculation. That number can change pretty wildly depending on what you've been doing, but... well... yeah, it doesn't take much juice for the system to display the battery information screen.

Charging the unit from 0 to 100 percent took us just under two hours, and that includes about 20 minutes of playtime. The system seems to keep charging even if you're using it, though I'd imagine that would slow the charging down at least a little bit.

Extra batteries are running somewhere around the $30 range, I believe. While I wouldn't normally indulge in something like extra rechargable batteries for a handheld system, the flight from Tokyo to San Francisco is around nine or ten hours in length. So yeah, I'll need at least one spare. As for you, the question to ask is... do you really play portable games for over six hours in a stretch? I rarely do... this flight is one of the few exceptions that puts me without a power outlet for an extended period of time.

So far, the PSP is pretty impressive. The games are a lot of fun, the system's design is really solid, and overall, it just fits in your hands properly. It feels right. There's a lot to be said for the way a controller, handheld or otherwise, fits in your hands. The system will officially launch in between 24 and 28 hours, depending on which Japanese retail store you choose to line up at. When that happens, we'll have more to play and more to say.

I didn't realise that Metal Gear Acid has been delayed until next year. That was the reason I purchased a PSP to begin with.

14 hours until the stores open. 9 hours until I line up in the freezing bloody cold. :D

.::: A least you CAN line up. :)

This is a slight tangent off the topic of this thread, (and apologies for mentioning it in this thread, but only just now have I noticed this detail) but Sony are really scraping the bottom of the barrel with the name they have given the wireless mode. I mean --"ad-hoc mode"??? :)

(Post-modern, though --and probably somewhat trendy in language terms in Japan. But still...)

I didn't realise that Metal Gear Acid has been delayed until next year. That was the reason I purchased a PSP to begin with.

14 hours until the stores open. 9 hours until I line up in the freezing bloody cold. :)

I'd consider it myself but I've got vicous flu. My short trip to Daiei earlier nearly did me in for good! :D

-Jools

.::: Crap. Bad news, that indeed does look like a region-defining icon.... Of course, GBA games also have that 'for use and sale only in...' line, but I am wary now.

I dont think that means much, as you point out, GBA games have similar warnings on them. And even if Sony did (bizarelly) follow the DVD region coding model, it should be pointed that the UK and Japan actually share the same region, "Region 2".

-Jools

What's going on with the price?

If you have been following videogame news in the recent month, you will have realized by now that the PSP will be very expensive. There is a huge shortage (supply much shorter than demand) and any shop with PSP systems in Japan can sell their complete stock within 23 milliseconds for a premium price. Most shops don’t even have PSPs.

These very same shops in Japan also know that one quadrillion import gamers want their PSP at launch date (everyone does!), and that they can earn much more by taking a bit of risk and by smuggling their units out, despite the export prohibition in their contract. This coupled with the premium prices that the courier companies and middlemen take for getting the units out of the country, results in what you can see happening on eBay right now: hiked prices. This situation will continue throughout the month and until early 2005.

As with any other console releases, Lik Sang buys as much stock as possible, and forwards available options to customers instantly. Some of you might remember the PlayStation 2 went for US$ 829 with Street Fighter EX 3 and the disappointing Ridge Racer V (and that was even a couple of weeks later than launch).

Lik Sang has three shipments scheduled coming in within the next weeks. Only the first shipment is 100% confirmed and will contain PSP Value Packs (PSP-1000K). The rest will depend on Sony’s shipping schedule in Japan and the prices will not drop before, at best, third shipment, and in worst case scenario, early 2005.

Because of the huge shortage, it is impossible to know for anyone (including Lik Sang and retailers in Japan) when and how many units Sony will make available in the following weeks. Not all import gamers worldwide will be able to get their unit from the first batch, and those few lucky ones who must and can receive theirs at launch need to get used to launch prices - which is by now US$ 450 to US$ 600.

Again, if you have a pre-order with Lik-Sang.com, you will soon receive an email outlining the details how to get your parcel shipped as soon as possible, including price information. Please note that today’s units received are NOT a mass shipment, it's only a hand full of units (including standard and value packs).

This is a slight tangent off the topic of this thread, (and apologies for mentioning it in this thread, but only just now have I noticed this detail) but Sony are really scraping the bottom of the barrel with the name they have given the wireless mode. I mean --"ad-hoc mode"??? ;)

(Post-modern, though --and probably somewhat trendy in language terms in Japan. But still...)

I don't see the connection.

Lik-sang just sent out their pre-order "info" emails, with another to follow shortly which you need to reply to , extract:

"You need to confirm your order by email:

----------------------------------------

When the first mass shipment reaches Lik Sang, you will receive an email containing the price of the first stock. If you decide to be part of the PSP Launch and the price is acceptable to you, please reply to the email immediately confirming that we should ship your order.

If you do not have a credit card for payment, this will be the moment when you have to send payment via Telegraphic Transfer (bank payment). See later in this email.

Please keep your confirmation email as short as possible and confirm without asking questions that are already answered in this email or in the PSP Update on our web site. This helps Lik Sang a great deal in providing fast servicing of answers and rush processing or the orders.

If you choose to wait for cheaper stock to arrive, there is no need to reply to the email, as ignoring the first launch offer still lets you keep your spot in the reservation list. If you decide to ask questions, we will reply to them once the initial mass shipment has left our warehouse and all first-release orders have been dealt with.

Please understand that this is the only way to get thousands of PSP systems shipped in time.

Please note:

------------

There are tight deadlines and online the fastest ones can make it to the first shipments.

If you decide to wait until another shipment arrives with possibly a better price, you will not lose your position in the pre-order queue. You will automatically be contacted again during the next couple of weeks. There is no guarantee when this will happen and if the price will drop, as this goes beyond our scope of control.

Please note that Lik Sang will NOT charge your credit card before your order is being processed and shipping out."

Suggests to me:

a) "Launch" price will be very high

B) little chance of getting normal price ones this year (especially with me being near end of queue!)

Apologies if this has been covered before but I'm on page 16 playing catch up.

People keep saying about how long it will take to make PSP game but from what I've heard ports should be pretty easy. I recently was at a PSP presentation by the Lead Programmer from SCEE Cambridge. They're working on a new Medievil game and said how easy it was to program for the PSP. It understands Matrices out of the box and can do various things like curves and patches easily. So it's really good for programmers to make games, and he also said that the same code can be run on ps2 and vice versa with not a huge amount of aterations needed, so whilenot great news, ports should be pretty easy as well.

Apologies if this has been covered before but I'm on page 16 playing catch up.

People keep saying about how long it will take to make PSP game but from what I've heard ports should be pretty easy. I recently was at a PSP presentation by the Lead Programmer from SCEE Cambridge. They're working on a new Medievil game and said how easy it was to program for the PSP. It understands Matrices out of the box and can do various things like curves and patches easily. So it's really good for programmers to make games, and he also said that the same code can be run on ps2 and vice versa with not a huge amount of aterations needed, so whilenot great news, ports should be pretty easy as well.

.::: That might be because MediEvil is a port of the PSone original (I thought it was a part 3, well I was wrong). Hardly a game to showcase quick development times with.

.::: That might be because MediEvil is a port of the PSone original (I thought it was a part 3, well I was wrong). Hardly a game to showcase quick development times with.

It's not a port. There was something in a mag about it a short while back, saying they are basically re-developing the game, all code, art, etc is being done from scratch.

It's not a port. There was something in a mag about it a short while back, saying they are basically re-developing the game, all code, art, etc is being done from scratch.

.::: Why not redo the entire game then including the story? The press-release they send out IS MediEvil 1.

And with the ease of development he was talking in general terms. Apparently it does lots of things for the programmer that they're actually having to get used to as they've previously had to work around it the long way. In a day they had a work experience guy running a nice looking trampoline going complete with necessary graphical effects. Said it was nothing like the PS2, very nice to program for.