Psp Hardware/opinions

rllmuk

It's tempting. My credit card is sitting there with all that unused credit. Must. Resist.

Christ don't be mental. I can afford it cash & I'm certainly not getting it at that price. The idea of getting into debt you'll still be paying off after the UK launch is madness.

kei028-1.jpg

Crap screen? Are you sure?

Clearly the screens aren't as good as the pre-production models if the stories of tearing are true. That would point to the screens having a lower refresh than original spec and certainly something that no amount of "Well this looks fine to me" photos would be able to disprove.

Thing is, I don't see how blurring would magically dissapear when you take a photo of an LCD screen. Surely at any given moment of viewing the screen, there's a blurring- which is where the overall "blurry" effect comes from? Otherwise if you took a video recording of the screen (a series of photographs) all the blurring would dissapear, which doesn't make any sense to me. At all.

As for "crap", all I've heard is "crap compared to the E3 one". Which honestly I could deal with.

to get a still that looks sharp if the screen usually blurs, it would have to be paused

Yeah, but none of the "Holy fuck, that looks good" photographs I've seen have been paused.

Edit- well, okay, some of them are stills, but going by the lack of pause menus and the presence of some slight motion blur, the rest of them are snaps of the thing in motion, and pretty impressive too.

Tearing. IGN reported screen tearing on Ridge Racers which suggests that the 60FPS it runs at is faster than the screen can refresh.

They noticed vertical tearing being pronounced on RallyX on Ridge Racers, to be exact, and on higher-speed UMD videos. Some red bleeding too. They also say that the screen's every bit as good as the E3 version.

well I have one and the screen gives me wood. I've seen no tearing. RR runs like glass. I prefer it on the PSP than the playstation. And because you can hold the screen so close to your face it feels every bit as satisfying as a TV, but clearer, if that makes sense... some anti-aliasing and it would be perfect.

Its a pity .jpg's don't look as good, they're kind of blurry.

They certainly seem to have the racing games covered - Formula 1 game, Rally game, Wipeout, Ridge Racer.

A bit of a shame none of them interest me, although Ridge Racer does look really good.

The football game looks shockingly shit, I hope this is just because its an early version but I prefer games to run at more than about 2fps.