Psp Hardware/opinions

rllmuk

Well, if you're going to be buying Japanese and UK games and movies, then you could risk getting one on the basis that, if it's the DVD region scheme, we'll be in the same region as Japan. If you're going to be after US games and movies, then you'd definately be better waiting.

just watched the vid of all the games for the PSP launch... the Ape Academy looks like a riot and probably the one that appeals to me the most. All the others, with the exception RR, look like PS1/PS2 ports and don't particularly rattle my cage...

Can't resist buying it tho! :)

Ridge Racers with region logo on box.

Suggests that region encoding may be on games after all.

From the DS thread. Natch.

Not necessarily. The packaging is required to state the terms of purchase, i.e. this was made to be sold in such and such a market and *only* there. By making it region free they are definitely not encouraging grey importing, it's just simpler to manufacture them that way. MS have done exactly the same thing of late with encouraging developers to bundle NTSC and PAL versions of games on the same disk. However, try and sell one in the other region and they'd be over you like a rash.

Well, if you're going to be buying Japanese and UK games and movies, then you could risk getting one on the basis that, if it's the DVD region scheme, we'll be in the same region as Japan. If you're going to be after US games and movies, then you'd definately be better waiting.

Oh nono, I didn't mean that... I'm going to be spending a year in Japan soon so having it region-locked to Japanese isn't going to be a huge problem... it's whether I get it for £200 (not value pack, so I've gotta get a Memory Stick Duo on top), then add the game, then add the shipping, then possible tax... it'll be nigh on £300 all in.

Not necessarily. The packaging is required to state the terms of purchase, i.e. this was made to be sold in such and such a market and *only* there. By making it region free they are definitely not encouraging grey importing, it's just simpler to manufacture them that way. MS have done exactly the same thing of late with encouraging developers to bundle NTSC and PAL versions of games on the same disk. However, try and sell one in the other region and they'd be over you like a rash.

If it was just "Japan Only", I'd tend to agree with you, but the region logo really wouldn't be there if there wasn't a region lock, would it?

Edit- oh, wait, actually, region-free XBox games have region-lock logos on the box, don't they? It's a possibility then.

If it was just "Japan Only", I'd tend to agree with you, but the region logo really wouldn't be there if there wasn't a region lock, would it?

Edit- oh, wait, actually, region-free XBox games have region-lock logos on the box, don't they? It's a possibility then.

Yes. Sony are still insisting that a game must go through approvals processes in whatever territory you want to target - for example approval in Europe is meaningless for the US. So the fact that a game gets approved in Europe, even though the disc it's on will play in any machine, will not give the publisher the right to market it in America. Sony US would go ballistic.

Yes. Sony are still insisting that a game must go through approvals processes in whatever territory you want to target - for example approval in Europe is meaningless for the US. So the fact that a game gets approved in Europe, even though the disc it's on will play in any machine, will not give the publisher the right to market it in America. Sony US would go ballistic.

I :) that theory.

Interesting.

.::: So basically THIS is what Microsoft promised when they said the Xbox would be regionfree? They meant the developers would be allowed to do regionfree games to ease the production process opposed to Sony's (and Nintendo's I guess) practises?

Well I got the piss taken out of me by a few people off here for pay £250 for a value pack and game from ebay.

Doesn't seam a bad price since I will be getting it next week :)

I would go for a deal like that.

What am I saying? I CAN go for a deal like that.

Oh... THE DECISIONS!

YAAAAAAY MAGICSOONGBALL KEKEKEKEKE

*hoists Soong upside-down and begins shaking him violently*

IS THIS FORUM RETARDED?

*turns Soong right way up*

No, I don't know why either, folks, the idea just occurred to me and took over. That's not meant to be a piss-take of Soong's advice, just saw the eightball-like phrasage and the idea appeared.

No, I don't know why either, folks, the idea just occurred to me and took over. That's not meant to be a piss-take of Soong's advice, just saw the eightball-like phrasage and the idea appeared.

.::: Is this a sneaky way of upping your post-count mister? :lol:

.::: So basically THIS is what Microsoft promised when they said the Xbox would be regionfree? They meant the developers would be allowed to do regionfree games to ease the production process opposed to Sony's (and Nintendo's I guess) practises?

MS have gone a step further than the other two by getting their infrastructure sorted out. If you have a game approved by either territory, then you can arrange for it to be published both here and in the states. Nintendo and Sony are still so fractured that you have to go through the whole thing twice, meeting criteria that can differ wildly. It's a highly irritating process.

MS have gone a step further than the other two by getting their infrastructure sorted out. If you have a game approved by either territory, then you can arrange for it to be published both here and in the states. Nintendo and Sony are still so fractured that you have to go through the whole thing twice, meeting criteria that can differ wildly. It's a highly irritating process.

.::: Why didn't we hear about this during the Xbox-bashing period just after launch? It sounds effin brilliant!

What was the shiny toy last year, a bum vibrator?

Can you even get bum vibrators?

I'm blatently gonna get a PSP but at this price, with initial stock and lack of games... not worth it just yet.

What Jack said, but in addition, there are specially shaped versions.

That is all.