Psp Hardware/opinions

rllmuk

Yes. Sony are still insisting that a game must go through approvals processes in whatever territory you want to target - for example approval in Europe is meaningless for the US. So the fact that a game gets approved in Europe, even though the disc it's on will play in any machine, will not give the publisher the right to market it in America. Sony US would go ballistic.

It's possible for the US to completely approve a European release (For all intents and purposes, with perhaps the formality of sending the title to xbox Europe). But it's true that lately I've seen more and more "World signed" releases (Titles which work on NTSC-M, NTSC-J and PAL). Good thing really.

Oh, that only applies to Microsoft actualy, so it's nothing to do with the PSP... shouldn't have bothered really :lol:

two sites to hit for some interesting psp news:

the first is lik-sang's for on-the-street coverage of the launch (complete with humorous play-by-play commentary and video footage

lik-sang's "fear and loathing in tokyo"

next, is the not so good news for anyone who's pre-ordered a psp through play-asia, lik-sang or ncsx (and you want it this week)

ncs's update for monday, december 13th

next, is the not so good news for anyone who's pre-ordered a psp through play-asia, lik-sang or ncsx (and you want it this week)

ncs's update for monday, december 13th

ncsx are excellent and have always been honest with their customers. glad they've stood up to the greedy wholesalers and told them to wait. i can't see many with lik-sang or play-asia going for the high price either.

Had a 15 min go on a stand-alone psp unit today, and blimey was it awesome.

If you turn off the unit, it will power back on with the game where you left it - "resume mode" - amazing!

Screen was superb. Analogue stick initially felt awkward but I quickly got used to it. The d-pad and fascia buttons are perfectly aligned.

Sound through headphones was brilliant.

Damn am I pissed I didn't respond to Inquisitor's PSP offer in time!

Go into Google. Type in "ad-hoc wireless network".

^_^

Indeed, also if you look at xlinks website about tunneling and the PSP you'll find that sony's implementation of the 'ad-hoc' wireless networking is far better than Nintendos proprietory system that they have less than flattering things to say about!

Sorry to drag this up but I hate miss information getting banded about as fact or even worse as negative points against the system.

As for the screen I've never seen the E3 version in the flech but the dev kist I haveplayed on have the best LCD screen I've seen on a portable device by quite a long margin!

Cheers

Quexex

I wouldn't be surprised if sony came up with a itunes style ripper that can rip and catalogue your existing DVD collection for use on your PSP via a memerystick. Lets face it no one is going to buy a film for the PSP if they allready own it on DVD... why would they unless the price is very cheap. They may get away with TV series but still I think ripping your existing DVD's has far more potential than the UMD alternative and I guess the moive industry must feel the same. Although Sony isn't having the best of tiem with the movie industry at the mo with everyone dumping Blue Ray except for there studios I guess they may well be taking the 'screw you' attitude!

Cheers

Quxexex

Indeed, also if you look at xlinks website about tunneling and the PSP you'll find that Sony's implementation of the 'ad-hoc' wireless networking is far better than Nintendo's proprietary system that they have less than flattering things to say about! Sorry to drag this up but I hate miss information getting banded about as fact or even worse as negative points against the system.

^_^ You were right, Alex W.: my initial post about this issue is going to dog me for the rest of this thread. My fault, really, for having worded my initial post in a vague manner, so perhaps I should clarify my position on this. I did not mean to say or imply that Sony's decision to use the phrase "ad-hoc mode" for the wireless capabilities in games like Ridge Racers was in any way a criticism or an insult about Sony or the PSP. What I did mean to criticize was the decision made by the marketing staff at Sony to use the phrase "ad-hoc mode," which I think is too specialized and part of technical jargon for general use. I don't mean to say that the mainstream, general use language is holy or sanctified: but it's not quite correct --in my opinion-- for Sony's marketing team that, in order to differentiate the wireless modes of the two new handheld consoles this generation, have decided to continue using the phrase "ad-hoc mode" for its wireless capabilities. The phrase is obviously useful for technical purposes and people-in-the-know, of course (that's why it has persisted as a part of the technical jargon); but it's not friendly enough in terms of marketing. Marketing is supposed to try to ingratiate the product with consumers by making the processes and capabilities of the product as transparent as can be. (This is an ideal, of course.) But by using "ad-hoc mode" instead of the generally more user-friendly and more easily understood "wireless mode," I think Sony is doing a disservice to consumers.

Ah, forget it: I'll just follow Alex W.'s advice and try to divert attention from the matter by this completely non-clichéd method:

launcher.gif

d_spin_2.gif

delorean.jpg

dmc_12.gif

launcher.gif

d_spin_2.gif

delorean.jpg

dmc_12.gif

^_^

Seriously, though, I'm starting to agree with you. Something like "Link-up mode" and "Internet Mode" would be more user-friendly than "Ad-hoc Mode" and "Infrastructure Mode".

Edit- vaguely related, IGN have tested its connection to a wireless router, and as well as automatically detecting local network connections, it lets you store several of them and swap between them, configure manually, and they can already tell it to bother the Sony site for a firmware upgrade (not that there's one available, mind).

Woots.

You know, I dug out my SP last night, and I'm determined I'm going to finish Superstar Saga (it, Mario DX, and FF:TA are the only games I've not completed for it) before I get a PSP. It's just such a lovely handheld. I reckon that portable console design peaked with that thing.

Which makes me wonder what the "real" GBA 2 is going to be like. Bit larger than a GBA SP, touch-sensitive analogue circle instead of d-pad or stick, proper backlit screen? The DS "thumbstrap" might be a proof-of-concept for Nintendo in order to see if it's a useful analogue input for later handhelds.

In fact, fuck the PSP and the DS, I'm saving up for that.

Edit- in fact, if it was affortable on technology a decade ago, why couldn't it be pulled off with proper analogue now?

TriaxTurboTouch360.jpg

Note the raised bits to mark out the centre, and compass points.

You know, I dug out my SP last night, and I'm determined I'm going to finish Superstar Saga (it, Mario DX, and FF:TA are the only games I've not completed for it) before I get a PSP. It's just such a lovely handheld. I reckon that portable console design peaked with that thing.

Which makes me wonder what the "real" GBA 2 is going to be like. Bit larger than a GBA SP, touch-sensitive analogue circle instead of d-pad or stick, proper backlit screen? The DS "thumbstrap" might be a proof-of-concept for Nintendo in order to see if it's a useful analogue input for later handhelds.

In fact, fuck the PSP and the DS, I'm saving up for that.

I am a bit tempted to get a PSP but to be honest I am not going to bother now and just get a DS, at least with the DS I can play all my GBA games for it so even if I dont want any games at the moment I can still play what I have already. As for the GBA 2, I guess we will hae to see how well the DS does, Nintendo are not going to release that yet until the PSP is really overtaking the DS in sales.