Psp Hardware/opinions

rllmuk

My PSP Value Pack and Ridge Racers was dispatched from Play Asia at around 11:00am.

I cannot fucking wait.

Basically, me, Ed, and anyone else getting one are cool and the rest of you going "OMG THE PRICE" are just jealous.

Early adopters, man. You pay more to have it sooner.

To be honest mate, you really aren't doing any of us any favours.

The sooner the stores can turn around and say "Fuck off, we don't want your £280 PSP's", the sooner the price will come down and the sooner everyone can get one.

The current PSP shortage is non-existent as far as the Hong Kong suppliers are concerned. They've got units on tap, but it's the "gotta have it at all costs" crowd that are forcing the prices up.

By buying now, you screw yourself first and foremost as I'm looking forward to receiving my RRP PSP in the next couple of weeks once the market is saturated and demand for overpriced units dies down.

RE: Early adopting.

I'm not so sure. I mean importing a DS from America may work out cheaper than getting one over here.

Unless you went with the "Weinberg" option ;)

The Poole's take on early adopting - very applicable here!

Not really man.

In the case of Poole, he talks about buying early from official channels to allow prices to come down.

In the case of the current PSP situation, you're buying early to allow the unofficial channels to keep the prices artificially high.

The more machines people buy at this price, the longer the suppliers can hold this price.

The sooner the stores can turn around and say "Fuck off, we don't want your £280 PSP's", the sooner the price will come down and the sooner everyone can get one.

The current PSP shortage is non-existent as far as the Hong Kong suppliers are concerned. They've got units on tap, but it's the "gotta have it at all costs" crowd that are forcing the prices up.

By buying now, you screw yourself first and foremost as I'm looking forward to receiving my RRP PSP in the next couple of weeks once the market is saturated and demand for overpriced units dies down.

I'm afraid demand & supply doesn't work like that

Not really man.

In the case of Poole, he talks about buying early from official channels to allow prices to come down.

In the case of the current PSP situation, you're buying early to allow the unofficial channels to keep the prices artificially high.

The more machines people buy at this price, the longer the suppliers can hold this price.

From the article:

"That's the postmodern age: the commodification of desire, the invention of a free-floating desire that attaches to no objects in particular but just feeds on new desires. Luckily for the tech companies, there are some people who jump at the chance to buy into new gadgets before they are fully ready and cheap enough for the mass-market. They are called early adopters, and their fate is a terrible one. I should know, since I am one myself."

"Thus early adopters are doomed to a treadmill of anxious consumption. Essentially your first action is to pay a large instalment on a subscription to a future that does not yet exist. You are betting on other people eventually feeling the same desires."

Pretty much what is happening with rllmukers buying the PSP, no?

I'm afraid demand & supply doesn't work like that

I'm afraid it does.

The sooner people stop buying, the faster the price comes down. NCS have given it a couple of weeks before the idiots dry up, even more units are released by Sony and the prices start to fall.

I'm afraid it does.

The sooner people stop buying, the faster the price comes down. NCS have given it a couple of weeks before the idiots dry up, even more units are released by Sony and the prices start to fall.

Don't forget there's to be a massive second PSP shipment on 23/12, so you're probably right.

I don't feel I paid too much over-the-odds for mine - £40-£50 is a price I'm willing to pay to be one of the gineau pigs. But then I didn't order from an HK store, so...

I'm afraid it does.

No, I mean, you can't just say to people who want/are prepared to pay more, "stop it"

And the limited supply also affects the price. Suppliers are only prepared to sell at a higher price cos they know there's not much. Hence diamonds.

From the article:

"That's the postmodern age: the commodification of desire, the invention of a free-floating desire that attaches to no objects in particular but just feeds on new desires. Luckily for the tech companies, there are some people who jump at the chance to buy into new gadgets before they are fully ready and cheap enough for the mass-market. They are called early adopters, and their fate is a terrible one. I should know, since I am one myself."

"Thus early adopters are doomed to a treadmill of anxious consumption. Essentially your first action is to pay a large instalment on a subscription to a future that does not yet exist. You are betting on other people eventually feeling the same desires."

Pretty much what is happening with rllmukers buying the PSP, no?

Not really no.

The RRP is £105. If lots of people buy through the official channels, then yes, the prices will come down eventually. This is what Poole is saying.

However, the RLLMUKers buying from the unofficial channels at double the RRP only serve to keep these prices high because there's no incentive to bring them down as these men are only after making money from mugs, not managing the perception of their own product.

No, I mean, you can't just say to people who want/are prepared to pay more, "stop it"

And the limited supply also affects the price. Suppliers are only prepared to sell at a higher price cos they know there's not much. Hence diamonds.

I think you think what I think except I think you think I don't think what you think.

Indeed, they can't just say stop it. But the sooner people stop buying at the current price, the sooner the likes of PlayAsia can stop buying at the inflated prices and the sooner they can send the distributers into a panic as they try and shift their stock.

The fact of the matter is that there isn't a real shortage in Hong Kong at all. NCS were offered 1,500 units if they wanted them to ship last Saturday, but only if they were willing to pay ~$500 a unit. They weren't They want them at $250 so they can sell more and make more profit as they don't make any more from a $500 unit than they do a $250 one.

The fact is that there is a massive amount of PSP hardware in Hong Kong right now and all it takes is for Sony to release more units or for the mugs to stop buying and prices will go into freefall.

Well indeed. It won't take that long.

That's why I'm calling people "mugs", simply because it's a very different situation to what usually forces prices up in the import market.

People will happily say "Well, I paid £400 for a Jap launch Dreamcast so it's not that bad." Difference is that the market has changed so much since then. You bought an import DC from CEX/Skill/Video Game Centre/whoever who in turn had to pay import tax on top of shipping on top of an inflated price due to wanky suppliers and of course, overheads for running an actual highstreet retail store.

There are so many middle men cut out now and so many different options for getting around such channels, that paying such prices now is completely unthinkable in my eyes.

The influence of the Internet should be able to get the prices down pretty fast. It's just that people are a little bit silly for accepting them in the first place. It ain't 1999 any more! :(

RE: Early adopting.

I'm not so sure. I mean importing a DS from America may work out cheaper than getting one over here.

Unless you went with the "Weinberg" option :(

People have forgotten the DS already. Sure you didn't have to pay over the top prices, sure you could get 3 DS consoles for the price of one PSP at the current rip off import prices. Just shhhh.

People have forgotten the DS already. Sure you didn't have to pay over the top prices, sure you could get 3 DS consoles for the price of one PSP at the current rip off import prices. Just shhhh.

That was the thing about the DS. The American launch was woefully understocked. Not soon after, prices started creeping up ala PSP.

However, the Japanese launch was overstocked, thusly getting more machines onto the market and forcing the prices back down again.

All we need is the 23rd Dec 300,000 unit PSP shipment from Sony to hit Japan and the prices will inevitably come down.

Sorry mate, if I'd have known that my PSP early at an inflated price would have stopped you getting yours early I would have ordered two.

I don't know what you're doing chriistmas day but I'll be playing my PSP. Enjoy the Turkey, Turkey.

Contender for worst post ever.

Sorry mate, if I'd have known that my PSP early at an inflated price would have stopped you getting yours early I would have ordered two.

I don't know what you're doing chriistmas day but I'll be playing my PSP. Enjoy the Turkey, Turkey.

Contender for worst post ever.

Contender for 2nd worst post ever now you've dropped that one, surely?

Can we leave the bitching & just keep to the subject.

I wouldn't say mugs so much as idiots. I can afford it but just because i can doesn't mean i should, especially with all the build quality problems mentioned in the Eurogamer article.

Also i don't think idiots is harsh at all. Paying £275 for something that costs £105 is nuts.

I don't understand how perceived value over rides commons sense though. I mean sure if the console was still going to be £275 for 6 months or longer than yes that would work but it's not.

I really don't see the problem. I'm paying £50 more than it should cost so that I can ensure I get it by Christmas, as it's a gift. That's hardly shocking, is it?

Nope there's no problem in that if that's all you're paying.

It's the people who are paying £275 for a £105 product that i think are the idiots.

Oh, so there's an acceptable amount extra to be paying? What's the cutoff? At what point would I become an idiot?

I understand what you're saying but I also totally understand Stooker paying extra to get it. He can, and he's decided that having it early means that much to him. You can't put a price on desire.