IGNORED

Roguelike

alan cummings

Anyone played any of these? I remember playing Mines of Moria on my 286 years ago, but I think thats the only one I played.

Ive just been having a look around the net trying to remember what Mines of Moria was, and it seems that these type of games are still being produced by internet groups. Anyone know if any of them are good? I feel like getting into some geeky statistics sort of game for a while.

I used to play 'Ancalagon' (a Rogue clone) on the Philips P2000T decades ago, and was truly captivated by it (just like the rest of my family). Every time it was different, and it was greatly balanced. My dad even finished it! Definitely great stuff.

But this was more than 20 years ago, so we were easily impressed. I really can't see why anybody would play it these days.

But this was more than 20 years ago, so we were easily impressed. I really can't see why anybody would play it these days.

It's hack and slash goodness, and superbly well balanced due to the continual development and rabid geeky fans!

Certainly not one for graphics whores, but if you are a true gameplay>graphics games fan then you will still get it!

give it a shot it's great :(

Diablo is pretty much a direct rip off with nice graphics (and multiplayer) however Diablo lacks the balance and the HUGE array of things you can pick up and play with.

It's hack and slash goodness, and superbly well balanced due to the continual development and rabid geeky fans!

Certainly not one for graphics whores, but if you are a true gameplay>graphics games fan then you will still get it!

give it a shot it's great :(

Diablo is pretty much a direct rip off with nice graphics (and multiplayer) however Diablo lacks the balance and the HUGE array of things you can pick up and play with.

ragglerock are you talking about Ancalagon? that sounds like the game i wanted.

Moffats world, iirc

except it offered a 3d view, by showing the 4 compass points at the same time, plus a top down map AND fractal generated landscapes between dungeons.

PC magazine coverdisc freebie on 5.25" floppy

years back...

I was not talking about any game inparticular... there are squillions of rougelikes

Angband is the "model" that most run off, but you could try em and see if they are what you are looking for

many people rate http://www.nethack.org/ as the best, but if you fancy some mecha action then http://www.geocities.com/pyrrho12/programming/gearhead/ or steampunk http://angband.oook.cz/steamband/ or perhaps a trip into the real world http://nevereverland.co.uk/realworld.php

there are even multiplayer versions http://www.thangorodrim.net/mangband.html

big list of similar games ... http://thelist.roguelikedevelopment.org/

• 1 year later...

Why start a new thread, when you can resurrect an old thread that didn't get many replies in the first place, eh?

So, I've let ZangbandTK get its claws around me again. Nigel the Skeleton Chaos Warrior is doing very well so far - better than most of my characters used to. He's been running around the first three levels of the dungeon twatting stuff with a big sword and has got up to level six. I'm currently running out of torches, though, so I'm going back up to go to town and sell some stuff and buy some more.

It's a dead good game and everyone should play it. It's free to download and everything.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone's got any roguelike recommendations for OSX or the GBA. I believe there's a Pokemon DS game coming out that's something of a roguelike, but I need to investigate that further.

Kieron Gillen wrote a rather good PC Gamer piece about the game which you can now find here.

Yeah, that's the piece I linked to in my post, just on a different site.

It's the article that got me playing the game in the first place.

Oh, for pity's sake!

I was doing so well. I'd been sensible, I was up to level seven and back in town, selling stuff and buying new supplies. I was doing really well. Then I decided to try my unidentified scrolls in the relative safety of town. One of blessing... good... one of strength.... good... one of summon monster... eek!

It's name is a LIE. A dirty, filthy LIE. It doesn't summon monster, it summons monsters. Lots and lots of horrible monsters. Well, at least three. More than I could handle, at any rate. My health diminishing rapidly, I read a phase door scroll and found myself halfway across town.

I tried to run, but I wasn't fast enough, and so Nigel the Skeleton Chaos Warrior dies, killed by a Culverin in the town.

I used to play Angband (original varient) loads on the Amiga. I think playing a Rogue-like on an Amiga somehow makes it even less socially acceptable...

The first one I remember playing is Catacombs on the ZX81. My mate had it and I remember being very jealous indeed.

I didn't know it was a "roguelike" at the time and thought it was just a one-off. Was very pleased to discover twenty years or so later that there were a whole ton of games like it.

forgive my ignorance, but what's a 'roguelike'?

Basically, RPGs with rubbish or non-existent graphics and randomly-generated dungeon that encourage replaying by making you start over and not reload when you die.

The Wikipedia page isn't bad -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike

Then there are games that most people would say aren't strictly roguelike, but share a lot of the same ideas and obviously grew from the same seed, like Diablo and the Fushigi no Dungeon series in Japan.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone's got any roguelike recommendations for OSX or the GBA.

There are free GBA ports of a couple of the classic roguelikes (Rogue and Hack) here, but you'll need a flash cartridge to play them on the GBA. I haven't really bothered with them, as I find the games use too many keyboard commands to be playable comfortably on the GBA with a tiny on-screen keyboard.

Most of the popular roguelikes have been ported to OS X. I'd recommend NetHack over any of the Angband-derived games (I'm surprised no-one's mentioned it so far), although it's really a matter of taste. There's a fairly nice graphical version of NetHack for OS X.

Adom's supposed to be good too, but I've not played it much. It seems to offer a more traditional RPG experience than the others (with proper towns and dialogue and so on) from what I've seen of it. There's a beta version for OS X out.

There are free GBA ports of a couple of the classic roguelikes (Rogue and Hack) here, but you'll need a flash cartridge to play them on the GBA. I haven't really bothered with them, as I find the games use too many keyboard commands to be playable comfortably on the GBA with a tiny on-screen keyboard.

Cheers for that. I was thinking more of "random dungeons and death being heavily penalised" than actual ports for the GBA stuff, but if I get a flash cart I'll have a look.

The Giles clan were Vampire Mindcrafters. The first seven didn't make it past level one, often perishing at the hands of the first enemy they came across.

Then came Giles VIII. He didn't seem to be any stronger or wiser than the rest, but somehow he won a few fights and found himself progressing to level two. That small step seemed to make things easier and he grew in strength and confidence, gaining new powers.

He could send psychic attacks across thin air, wiping out the fragile minds of lesser beasts.

He could stop and sense the enemies around him.

He could open his mouth, bare his fangs and launch himself at the monsters in the dungeon, clamp on to their necks and drink their blood.

He could even teleport himself across thin air. He couldn't choose where to go, but the power saved him on a number of occasions.

That was until he met the novice warriors. He was a level four character on level two of the dungeon. He was being careful, because he knew there were dangers. Entering a room, bruised and bleeding after a fight with a monster, he saw a sleeping priest. He crept up, ready to pounce, ready to feed. Which was when the novice fighters entered from his left. Knowing he couldn't take them on, he teleported himself away. It wasn't far, just behind them in the room they'd obviously just left. He started to run... and slammed straight into a dead end. The two novice warriors approached...

Giles VIII tried teleporting again. He didn't have enough SP left for the task, but he tried anyway. It was a desperate final act and it failed. He fell to the floor, paralysed, his mind damaged beyond repair. One novice warrior got within striking distance and showed no mercy to his fallen foe. The other warrior was now also close enough to attack. Their weapons flashed in the half-light of the tunnel as they came down and cut through the flesh of the vampire's neck.

It was over.

Giles VIII the Vampire Mindcrafter, Level 4

Killed by a Novice warrior on Dungeon Level 2

(User 0, Date 07/06/06, Gold 421, Turn 142830).

(There's not many games that make me write such utter rubbish. It certainly fits with the subtitle of this thread. Let's see if, say, Chrome Hounds leads me to write such painful prose about painful deaths.)

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

I still really miss ZangbandTk ...

It's so far behind the main Angband branch and a pain to get running I don't touch it anymore; it's such a shame it got abandoned and no longer developed. I'd had a go myself at updating it - but there is masses & masses of Tcl code and it's all just nasty.

I've tried in the past to get some discussion going with the Angband devs about getting a decent GUI and graphics put in. Put it's seen like selling out or something, everyone is an ASCII purist.

Still it's good to see new life being breathed into Angband again - http://angband.oook.cz/download.php

I started playing Roguelikes a couple of years ago and I've found them to be among the most rewarding and enjoyable games I've ever played. Infinitely replayable, and I never get frustrated about dying. I've delved into all the major ones and a few of the more promising ones on the sidelines (Incursion and Legerdemain have great potential). My favourite is probably Crawl. Seriously, if it came down to it I could live without all other games and just play Roguelikes.

I did start with ZangbandTK, but funnily enough over time I've come to prefer the ASCII versions. To me it does have a kind of beauty.

Edit: People seem to fall into a Nethack or Angband camp, and I have to admit I've never really clicked with Nethack. Something about the interface maybe, or the extremely unpredictable nature of it (I've never managed to make much progress before dying in some completely unexpected fashion).

I hover around the rec.games.roguelike lists and keep up to date on a lot of the projects. I've had a lot of fun with things like the Metroid and Castlevania RLs. There was a decent Aliens one a while back, too.

Yeah I've never really "got" Nethack either. It's all a bit weird and tries to be humorous & zany but fails.

So I'm in the Angband camp, I've never got a character past level 20 let alone tackled the deeper stuff - but it doesn't stop me playing it. I find it easy to dip in and out of...

I've dabbled with the Metroid and Castlevania ones, they seem fun if a bit light.

I've been playing roguelikes (Angband mostly) on and off for about 8 years, and I'm still learning, still finding out new things, still surprised at the combinations of things they throw up, still enjoying it. There aren't many games you can say that about...

Honestly, you guys! NetHack is obviously superior to Angband. It's a deeper game, and more intense - individual decisions carry greater weight, and death is swift and just. If you want a shallow 'Sunday Roguelike' to play with tileset graphics like a BIG GIRL, then you might favor Angband, I guess.

I only started playing Rogueslikes just recently with DF adventure mode, bad decision! I have tried many a Roguelike now and nothing comes close to the sheer gore and intense fights to be had in DF adventure mode. Alas DF adventure mode is severly lacking in depth and I only play for a little while as there isnt enough stuff to do.

Are there any rogueslikes similar to DF adventure mode?

Honestly, you guys! NetHack is obviously superior to Angband. It's a deeper game, and more intense - individual decisions carry greater weight, and death is swift and just. If you want a shallow 'Sunday Roguelike' to play with tileset graphics like a BIG GIRL, then you might favor Angband, I guess.

o/\o

Ahhh Roguelike games, the king of game genres. I remember my first encounter with them in a midnight visit to the Computer lab at university to play Nethack and Moria on an ancient Sequent machine.

With regards to the pros and cons between the Angband variants and the Nethacks of the world, they are two very different games which have to be played in completely different ways. I enjoy them both and celebrate their different strengths.

Now excuse me I think I'll give this Dwarf Fortress a whirl.