A Few Tracks From My New Record

Jairus

Produced using flstudio 4.15 (only really using the slicer and wasp), Ableton Live 4, Cooledit 2, a gameboy pocket, gameboy camera (dj function) and a Yamaha PSS-450. Thanks to Yonlu also for the inspiration that came about with the Deskjet remix.

I've been working pretty hard on getting the beats precise, but i've also been experimenting with different synth sounds which are similar to the 3 channels on the gameboy. My favourite is 'she phases', but I also think raid error is a good opener for the cd.

I've got another 5 tracks i'm fiddling about with at the moment. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated, enjoy!

Sabrepulse - Raid Error

Sabrepulse - Hell Division

Sabrepulse - She Phases

Sabrepulse - Deskjet (Remix)

(Also, i'll be playing live at the end of January with Tajfel Nipple and Pigs In Blankets - unconfirmed venue but i'm sure i'll post it up on here nearer the time)

Brace yourself...

Raid Error's got too much of an abruptive difference between the intro and the meat of the piece - they sound like completely different tracks.

Hell Division's beats (during the last couple of bars, when the melody changes) aren't looped properly. It sounds to me like there might be a slight blank gap at the beginning or the end of the sample that wants deleting.

I'd ditch the mellow melody very near to the end of She Phases - it's not out of time as such, but just sounds a bit clumsy with the beats and a bit jarring.

Got no criticisms of Deskjet.

It all sounds a bit samey and a bit wannabe-(old)Squarepusher. I'd rein-in the use of the Gameboy samples, especially the boot-up sample(!) (one track of GB-style stuff might be alright, but not as an album or act theme) and try and diversify the overall sound. You're obviously competent (both technically and musically), so you've got it in you.

Shit man, this comes across as really harsh, but I'm a hard man to please, so don't take it too much to heart. I make music too and like to think I can tell when someone can really do it, or whether they're just kidding themselves - you're deffo the former. I just think you need to stretch out a bit and get some more variety in there.

Brace yourself...

Raid Error's got too much of an abruptive difference between the intro and the meat of the piece - they sound like completely different tracks.

Hell Division's beats (during the last couple of bars, when the melody changes) aren't looped properly. It sounds to me like there might be a slight blank gap at the beginning or the end of the sample that wants deleting.

I'd ditch the mellow melody very near to the end of She Phases - it's not out of time as such, but just sounds a bit clumsy with the beats and a bit jarring.

Got no criticisms of Deskjet.

It all sounds a bit samey and a bit wannabe-(old)Squarepusher. I'd reign-in the use of the Gameboy samples, especially the boot-up sample(!) (one track of GB-style stuff might be alright, but not as an album or act theme) and try and diversify the overall sound. You're obviously competent (both technically and musically), so you've got it in you.

Shit man, this comes across as really harsh, but I'm a hard man to please, so don't take it too much to heart. I make music too and like to think I can tell when someone can really do it, or whether they're just kidding themselves - you're deffo the former. I just think you need to stretch out a bit and get some more variety in there.

That's the kind of criticism I was looking for, thanks.

With regards to hell division, i've actually put a demo version up there - the last 30-40 seconds or so of that track was rushed, and I realise the beats are slightly mid-judged. The timing for the bootup screen 'coin noise' is also wrong, i'm going to rework the ending when i've got some more time.

The ending to she phases was supposed to continue into the theme of the next track (deskjet) with regards to it's seemingly random music box medly - You're probably right though as i'm starting to think it maybe sounds too random, like i've just stuck it in there as a filler.

Funnily enough, you've picked out the weak points that I too identified with all the tracks - so it's good to know that i'm in tune with what i'm not doing very well.

Thanks for the comments anyway.

No worries man - I didn't want to come across as some kind of know-it-all, but it was worth responding to you originally when you asked for feedback because you've got some skills.

To be honest, there's been times when some other posters have stuck some music up for consumption and I haven't bothered with any kind of feedback, as it wouldn't have been worth it.

Raid error was in my opinion the best track, altough the difference between the first and the second part is too big. Maybe you can build up to a climax in the first 30 seconds or something. Leave the 'sabrepulse' thingy in it, it sounds cool. To be honest, it's pretty useable in a hardcore/gabber set. I like my beats a bit harder and faster (180 bpm or something) but it's definetly better than the generic home blend hardcore/drum and bass pap you find on the net.

Good job overall, would like to hear more from you. :o

I dunno about the EQ. The base sounds in fruity loops are not that hot in the first place - they're only basic synths (althought the drums are quite addictive to mess with).

I would recommend that if you must use Fruitly Loops, get the VSTi wrapper, of if you have it, get some decent VSTi instruements and learn those.

And i'd suspect you need a new soundcard too as the Signal to noise raito is very poor, unless its the samples.

Nevertheless, you've sussed the basic songwriting elements from this gerne, which is a good thing but you might want to look to see if a market exists for your work, and if not, move forward into newer genres.

The idea of using game samples is not new, but has hardly been abused either (unlike your current genre which is basically post rave party music).

I'd suggest trying to mature your sound (and move into a new genre) if your really serious.

Thanks for your comments afterbirth but trying to mature my sound is not what i'm aiming for.

With this collection of songs (and other tracks i'm working on currently) i've purposely gone for the happy medleys and erratic jungle-style drill beats. I thought the almost too tongue-in-cheek 'sabrepulse' sample which kicks off the gabba style section in raid error would be enough to signify this.

Also, when you say 'base sounds' i'm unsure as you what you mean. The only thing I actually used fruityloops for was as a basic tracker, to slice the beats (which I created and imported myself using cooledit) and the wasp plugin - which beefed up and accompanied the sine and saw sounds of the gameboy channels.

At the end of the day it's not going to be for everyone, I just thought I might as well show some people how I was progressing on it - and also to maybe get some feedback from people who make similar music.

Excuse the pun, by i think i'm on a different Wavelength to you and your approach to writing music.

By base sounds i mean those you've used to create the tracks in the first place.

By maturing your music, i mean listening and learning other genres (if you want to take music seriously its importent you do this).

The point is your views on music will change. Todays music changes quickly and if the gabba scene changed into something else, you may not like where it goes (when the US/Germany/UK too Techno beats and made them faster it spawned Rave, which i liked at first, but grew bored off - so went back to techno and its emotional content).

Anyway....primarily the samples - the sound quality is quite poor and hissy - surely this needs to be cleaned up? and those waveforms used from the wasp (which uses a very basic sound generation/emulation algorithm - use another sine wave on a VSTi synth (Check out the KVR website).

What i try to do is aim for the kinda quality of tracks in the genre i'm writing for, but of course, thats assuming you can afford such equipment, which you may not.

Even so, theres many free VST'i's that could be used instead of your wasp. Again check the KVR site as these have some good links. You might also try recreating the samples on your synth using a pad/string instrument.

the sound quality is quite poor and hissy - surely this needs to be cleaned up?

It's lo-fi, I don't want it to sound clean and crisp.

I also couldn't give two shits about the gabba/techno scene to be perfectly honest. I'm just after creating something blippy and happy. I think i've captured that feeling well.

I'd love to hear some of your stuff if possible afterbirth?

Your on WARP Records?

As who?

the label I own has a sales deal with warp, and a forthcoming deal with bleep.com .. they haven't signed me... yet

I listed my aliases in that post...

and yes, disco undead is the third LP on my label, Device Electronic Entertainment, and there's 2 tracks on it by me.