IGNORED

Silent Hill 2

therearerules

I might have been. I had to beat the monkey ceiling things off with a pipe in the end. I'm in the evil hospital now, but so far it's too hard. I've got a few shotgun shells and ten handgun bullets, but there are three zombie nurses in the second floor hallway and another two that come at you from opposite directions in one of the rooms. Sob.

I might have been. I had to beat the monkey ceiling things off with a pipe in the end. I'm in the evil hospital now, but so far it's too hard. I've got a few shotgun shells and ten handgun bullets, but there are three zombie nurses in the second floor hallway and another two that come at you from opposite directions in one of the rooms. Sob.

Let the three nurses get as close as possible and then use a couple of shotgun shells. Then switch to the iron bar for everything else.

In fact I tended to use the iron bar even when I had a shedload of ammo as it was good enough to take most things out.

Doesn't this highlight the difference between the Resident Evil series and the Silent Hill one.In Resi,everything is literal (bad company,marauding zombies,get the fuck out of there!!)

Whereas the Silent Hill games have been far more abstract and though provoking.The fact that we are still discussing a game's meaning years from when it was released is a testament to its greatness.

Yeah. Resident Evil is about the "situation" - a mansion/town/island overrun by zombies. Silent Hill, on the other hand, is about the people and how things affect them (or at least, it was until SH4, which incidentally I love more than SH1 and SH3).

I just hope more than anything this is what the essence of the movie will capture. If it's just another monster flick they'll have totally missed the point and I'll wail like a spanked baby.

Why do the zombie nurses keep coming back to life? I spent ages killing three of them only to find two of them attacking me again once I left the hall and re-entered it. There's also some move I can only do by chance; James seems to stomp on its head, or kick it in the head or something. How do I make him do this more often?

Why do the zombie nurses keep coming back to life? I spent ages killing three of them only to find two of them attacking me again once I left the hall and re-entered it. There's also some move I can only do by chance; James seems to stomp on its head, or kick it in the head or something. How do I make him do this more often?

Walk over to an enemy when they are lying on the floor and push X (or whatever the confirm / action button is) to stamp on them.

Going back to theories about SH2, I thought that James was alive and that the town of Silent Hill acts as a conduit for emotions, making them real.

Click For Spoiler
The little girl throughout the game says she can't see monsters, and what some people see others don't. I think that this is because Silent Hill acts as a personal hell, and only James can see the monsters (Or at least some of them) whilst the others see their own demons.

Maria is what James wanted his wife to be, and she's not real. She exists to tourture James in a way. He grows to like her and is forced to watch her die again and again, just like his wife. Even if you get the ending in which Maria goes with James to live "happily ever after" you're shown that Maria has some sort of illness that will kill her soon. James is doomed to suffer the same tragedy again, yet maybe this time he will be able to deal with it.

Cunty McTriangle is James' guilt personified, his own personal executioner who is acting out of James' wish to be punished for killing his wife.

I think that the monsters are slaves to people's emotions, and hence the spirits of the once-real executioners are now being forced to act out James' sub-conscious wishes. The same applies to all the other creatures, they are people's spirits acting as puppets for the living's traumas.

Well, that's what I think anyway.

Yeah, that seems like the best explanation, it took me hours after finishing the game to work out what it meant; had to read the plot analysis on Gamefaqs. When I first read the explanation my initial reaction was "No way! It's just a videogame, it can't be that deep", but the more I read into it, the more it made sense.

I got the water ending, which totally fitted my take on events, it's an amazingly subtle and thoughtful ending for a videogame.

The bit with the dead guy on the sofa really freaked me out, never thought of looking at him properly, just wanted to get the hell out of there.

One of the scariest bits in the whole game for me was the long winding trip down that path into the town. I got the impression I was being stalked and by the time I reached the town I was totally on edge. The developers really know how to take advantage of you in this way, letting your imagination take over. At times I was actually glad when I encountered an enemy, because the pervading sense of dread is really horrible.

For me, the biggest shock/terror I've felt in any video game would be meeting 'Cunty' on the hospital roof... you walk into a dead-end and hear the screech of his blade, you can't see anything and panic, you go to run and suddenly he's right in front of you...horrible.

If anyone has seen Ringu, the screech Cunty's blade makes is incredibly similar to the noise Sadako makes over the phone, I thought at least.

The original Silent Hill still stands out as one of the most freaky fucking things I've ever played

It was the babies with knives.

I got a demo of the thing with some game, and it played through the initial 'nightmare' - curious angle shots, deafening siren blaring. Bloodly body wired up to the gate. FUCKING KILLER BABIES WITH KNIVES.

And for once, the dodgy controls really helped heighten the tension, as I tried in vain to retreat.

It the only time I can honestly say I had to pause a game because I needed to chill out a bit. It was quite amazing.

I'm a firm fan of the series - intensely flawed, and some really dodgy voice-over work, but still superb.

Just finished it today. Not sure about the ending, found it a little disappointing, I hope the others are better. ;)

Well, what ending did you get? Do you mean you hope the other endings are better, or the other games are, because a ) there's more than one ending, and b ) SH2 is easily the best of the series.

The original is probably the better game from what I've seen so far. The plot of Silent Hill 2 is occasionally so cryptic that I've just lost interest, and far too much of it is 'explained' in notes you find along the way. It's more atmospheric and disarming than the original - there's a real sense of being completely lost (I can believe James would just leap into black holes in the middle of a ghost town by this point because he's got nothing left to hold on to) - but at the same time I don't think it's as engrossing. I really had to find out what was behind the goings on in the town in the original game, even though it was a disappointing ramble about occultism and drug trafficking, whereas this time I don't even know if I'm IN the town.

You know, that you arnt really supposed to be fighting all of these monsters? just ignore them and run past them, save the ammo for the bosses who require LOADSA bullets/

Well, what ending did you get? Do you mean you hope the other endings are better, or the other games are, because a ) there's more than one ending, and b ) SH2 is easily the best of the series.

I know there are four different endings in the game (it tells you that at the ending screen. I got the "Leave" ending, so I am not sure if thats the best one or not but I felt it was a bit of a let down in the end.

Doesn't that make it better, though? If you could sum up SH2 in one word it would be "ambiguous".

Exactly. You're never in the town in any Silent Hill game, so to speak. Both Foggy Silent Hill and Alternate (or Hellish) Silent Hill are entirely different dimensions, created by the dark god Samael, compared to the true/normal Silent Hill that we aren't privy to.

I know there are four different endings in the game (it tells you that at the ending screen. I got the "Leave" ending, so I am not sure if thats the best one or not but I felt it was a bit of a let down in the end.

I think 'leave' is the one everyone gets first time through. It's the only one I've seen cos I was too chicken to play it throught again. ;)

FUCKING KILLER BABIES WITH KNIVES.

I hope you mean the little kids in the school. Man, it's such a fuck up to be in a place that, despite appearances, you know to be a school, and to have little kids attack you with knives, giggling while you have to shoot them. And then in the hospital, again with hunch-back nurses, and they let out tired sighs when you kill them in self defense. What a fucking fuck up. And the whole time there's the ambiguity of is this happening in my head or has the world really changed like this -- and each possibility has its own implications, and they're both fucking wrong.

Doesn't that make it better, though?  If you could sum up SH2 in one word it would be "ambiguous".

Not really. It makes it more mysterious and disorienting, but there's no real driving desire to find out what happens next, because I'm just in a constant state of confusion. That can work if there's a lot of human interest, like in David Lynch's best movies, but aside from a few big character setpieces, the entire plot is being rationed out in poorly written letters and bits of adolescent goth poetry.

That said, it's completely terrifying. There was nothing in the first game to compare with jumping down a dark hole and finding yourself in a rotting underground prison. And what the fuck is that noise in the cellblocks? Shudder.

And the whole time there's the ambiguity of is this happening in my head or has the world really changed like this -- and each possibility has its own implications, and they're both fucking wrong.

I've often wondered if all the game's enemies are actually just innocent people that your avatar is massacring in a state of delusion.

I found the guide books for SH and SH2 whilst sorting through my mags yesterday.Going to have a good read of the second one but will have to hide the first one away.Play the game from scratch.Its been so long I will have forgotten ever playing it.

Actually, to avoid the more cumbersome aspects of SH, you may want to be a bit lenient with your use of guide books. Some puzzles and key fetch quests are really annoying and they can turn you off to what is, excepting the act of combat, otherwise a great game.

To Crispin and others who have trouble with combat and ammunition conservation, I highly recommend doing a lot more running in SH games than you might be. I think you're really meant to, as well. Also, in both SH1 and SH2, there are melee weapons you should use as a default before resorting to guns. In the first, the best is the emergency hammer, that huge big long heavy metal hammer. In the second, it's the plank with the nail in the end (it's a fucking plank with a nail in the end, damnit. naturally, it's the best weapon in the game.). Between running and melee you should be fine.

Just remember that combat and puzzles are not the point to playing SH. I think of them as rather inbred features that had been born from the success of Resident Evil games. I'm still looking for SH to fix this stuff, although admittedly the presence of monsters and the possibility of combatting them and of dying is needed for fear and atmosphere (and the excellent use of sound).

But high on my personal wishlist is an entirely first person Silent Hill game that fixes the annoyances of character control (that awful tomb raider / resi movement), puzzles, and combat. I think some first-person combat would be alright, maybe even necessary like I said above, but whatever combat there is should be done much less clumsily. Maybe more like a fps like System Shock 2 or something.

I've often wondered if all the game's enemies are actually just innocent people that your avatar is massacring in a state of delusion.

Yep! The first time I played SH, that was one of the multuiple theories I entertained as I played, and it really freaked me good. It's one of the better interpretations to have. That Samael plot really seems crap to me. I prefer to think that my character is either losing his mind and killing innocent people as the "world", that is, his mind, looses itself from his will and closes in around him, or that the town acts is willfully acting against me (it really feels like it sometimes, like when suddenly all of the ground outside is fucking GONE except for a narrow walkway). Both are supportable by the transformations.

Come on guys, let's talk about the best moments!

First SH:

Click For Spoiler
Did anyone else nearly lose it after talking to Cheryl on the phone in the school when you saw that scrawled message in the bathroom: "THE MONSTER LURKS"? It's effective to me because I'm scared out of my mind, can feel the situation and atmosphere escalating, have read the library books about manifested monsters and lizards or whatever it was (I forgot), and because it's not hand-fed to me. It's subtle, kind of like that first time early in Resi 2's police station when you enter that room with the two windows and the dim figure of a Licker quickly crawls over the window near the door, and its movement is so reptilian. Anyway, it just really got to me, and I wanted to stay in the bathroom or some locked closet, shaking and murmuring the monster lurks, the monster lurks. It definitely made me want to NOT continue moving through the school.

That's much more shallow than some other favorites I have. I'll get to them later.

I always find it quite funny how James (or Harry) will find something comparatively normal like a corpse, and he's, like, SHOCKED. What a mentalist!

"Who could have done this? Certainly not the legions of undead mass murderers stalking me everywhere I move!"

I agree with you up to a point. Although it could be said that the the protagonists have difficulty in accepting the reality of weird monsters everywhere. A real corpse is harder to deny. Or maybe they think that only they can see the monsters, as if they are coming for them and them alone.