IGNORED

The Getaway: Black Monday

Spunky Monkey

You know what, its not that bad. Had a quick go of this round a mates so heres my first impressions. The frame rate is very poor but you get used to it. It seems the artists put all the detail into the people and the cars and then ran out of polygons to use on anything else.

The building around london are all made out of squares and the textures are strange, some are pretty sharp others are a huge blur, really takes away from the look of the game. London also doesnt really look like london because of this, even MSR looked more like london thanks to its colours, more detailed textures and buildings. Really disappointed in that aspect.

The traffic seems to have a mind of its own, your in the police car with sirens blaring and either people ram into you or pull in front of you or they move into your direction. Still lucky your car is pretty much indestructable.

Still the cut scenes are nicely done with some good voice acting and camera angles. The shooting part is great fun and gory shooting someone in the face and i actually enjoyed it, especially as you can regain your health by not moving. The camera is a bit of a pain but its okay in the open areas and sticks directly behind you most of the time.

But i did like the way it started and panned out with shooting and then driving sections all mixed up.

Its no way near a brilliant game, the ps2 really lets it down in the graphical area, i was really disappointed as games like msr and pgr looked so much like london while this could have been any fictionless city to be honest. Still it plays an alright game, not perfect but not so bad, deserves a rent id say but i doubt id buy it as while i did enjoy it the niggles ruined it some what.

Spunky....Its fucking shite for so many reasons.

FPS mode it poor, the graphics are dull, gun control in FP is bad, the mini games are crap, the framerate is pants, the car models are pants, its glitchy, uses sexual swearwords to be cool, the crashes are lame, London looks drab, and uses the same textures all the time, and the controls?! No such thing.

I mean, I would rather play a PS2 PLATFORM game then this utter titwank.

Please do not rent this, or if you do, scratch it, and take it back so that no mortal makes the same mistake. Ever. Again.

.::: This is a joke-post right? I find it hard to see how anyone could like it as it's broken and boring on so any levels, that even customers tend to scoff at it. It hasn't sold a single copy as well over here.

People trying the game are usually disgusted.

Playing and enjoying GoldenPokeInTheEye: Rouge Agent seems far more logical and understandable at this point.

To be honest i never did play the original, of course the getaway 2 doesnt live up to any hype and while it does have a lot of problems i wouldnt say its broken, unlike say driver 3 which is broken, least this one i can shoot people and drive around without things popping up two foot in front of me.

As i said its not really worth a purchase but as a rent its alright, you lot need to open your minds a little, just because it isnt the next mario 64 doesnt make it shit, its not great its barely good and would get a 5 in my books for having some nice ideas and being okay at what it does.

I enjoyed the first one, but the universal slamming Black Monday had has put me off even bothering with a rent. If you're enjoying it Spunky, then bollocks to the nay-sayers. No offence to anyone else like, but I don't see why people should have any problem with people enjoying games which aren't critically approved. I'll probably gamble a tenner on it in the future, just because I did enjoy the first one, and I'm curious to see if it really is as bad as people say, or if it's a case of a lot of people who've never or barely played the game, picking up on the negative wave and just publicly slamming it for kudos.

Really
EVERYTHING ELSE

Ah so you do think it's rubbish then? :unsure:

Its not great, it has its fair share of problems but within it there is a little bit of enjoyment to gain. But how anyone can say driver 3 pwns it i fail to understand, i can stand in front of a box with a bag guy on the other side and hit nothing but this tiny box even if i aim at the sky, or hit a lamp post which means mission over.

While the getaway black monday is never gona win any awards the things it does do right it does pretty okay, if the niggles wernt there such as the frame rate, werid london graphics and a camera that hates tight spaces then it would be easily a 7. As it is its mearly average but still enjoyable for a rent.

Because Driv3r is a lot more fun to play with. It has some really cool missions and is a blast - esp. if bought at a budget price.

Getaway has none of these.

Sure Driv3r isnt perfect either, but IMO its a far better game.

The physics alone do it justice.

(the physics alone make the game really).

Plus theres the director mode, which itself is good fun to use.

What confuses me is almost all of the problems people have cited with Black Monday were also in the original. While it didn't receive top marks, it did a lot better than 3/10.

Are we to believe that the development of this genre is the only reason Black Monday's scores fall well below those of the original's?

Well, the genre has moved on, and the orignals faults were not rectified were they?

In fact, thes hardly any difference full stop, save an 'expansion' of the city.

Rockstar addressed nearly every issue - pop up and fogging, size, amount of vehicles, interactivity, etc. And then expanded on them more so.

So it deserves all it gets.

Both Driv3r and True Crime ate this for breakfast - they were both bigger and both had far better basic gameplay (sure Driv3r had some bugs, but at least you could play with it).

As soon as i stormed the council estate i though, this is going to be pants but no, i played on to the next level, and drove to the boxing club, and do you know something...

I spotted the same shop 44 times.

Hired it yesterday.

Early impressions: Lovely splash screen and intro music. In game: comedically bad voice acting/casting aside, it took me about 15 minutes to stop laughing at the size of the lead characters head, which makes him look like an 8 year old in riot armour. As with the last getaway, the sound design for the characters is hilariously bad with them repeating the same phrases over and over.

" I can't take much more of this!", "Ammo!" and the legendary "Tosser!". Yesterday someone called me a "cock smoking army squadboy" or words to that effect.

The same suspension of disbelief applies as before; the well-tooled up police shooting anything that moves, or cuffing everyone, then knocking them out (why?). The on foot sections seems to play a little better than before, with more spacious levels, but identical design to the Getaway - oh look, here's a crackhouse, oh, and theres a hole in the wall leading to *gosh* another adjoining crackhouse. Lord above.

The Getaway should have been so much more, considering the enormous budget and the possibilities of playing in Laaahdan. Getaway:Black Monday should have at least been competent, or fixed. At the least, they should have hired someone who can write a decent storyline or screenplay, because it is cringingly poorly written. If it were at all self-aware, it might at least be ironic, but none of it is. A badly polished turd.

I mean at least the getaway was actually worth completing for the ending sequence.

wasn't it?

I liked the original Getaway, but a lot of my love was born from that fact that it was so bugged it was funny. I also loved the fact that it was slow and monotonous.

Driving around London in The Getaway was almost as slow as annoying as, well.. driving around London.

I can’t quantify the number of times I took police men hostage while posing as the telephone repair man. Wandering around with a copper under your arm without alerting anyone was truly magic.

Maybe all this was just me.

I'm still tempted to get Black Monday purely for the hope that its as bugged as the original.

I have a problem, however. My PlayStation2 is now just as bugged as the ‘mockney’ title. It doesn't work.

• 3 weeks later...

scrub what I said before- I have an admission to make:

I am enjoying playing the Getaway:Black Monday.

Not in the way that it resembles the Ealing comedy of free roaming gangster adventures, only without the laughs, but in its own right. It's much more compelling than the original getaway ever was, the level design is pretty competent, the on-foot sections are genuinely engaging, and the plot...

well, there is a bit of a plot this time.

Still, GTA San Andreas knocks it into a cocked hat, but it is rather good fun all in all.

scrub what I said before- I have an admission to make:

I am enjoying playing the Getaway:Black Monday.

Not in the way that it resembles the Ealing comedy of free roaming gangster adventures, only without the laughs, but in its own right. It's much more compelling than the original getaway ever was, the level design is pretty competent, the on-foot sections are genuinely engaging, and the plot...

well, there is a bit of a plot this time.

Still, GTA San Andreas knocks it into a cocked hat, but it is rather good fun all in all.

I loved the original and am waiting till somebody wants to sell this game dirt cheap.I will pick it up then and give it a go.Something about running around inner city London with guns just does it for me.

I'd rather do it for real, but naked. And instead of guns, using bananas, whilst screaming I AM THE SOONG, FEAR ME, in a C-reg 1.0l Mini, than play this game.

That I would love to see ;)

Is it worse than the first one though?That my was gamings guilty secret when it got released.None of my friends knew I played it to completion till they found the save file on my card and wiped it :)

I'm with hash on this one, actually. Having cussed the original Getaway as being "a bit like that Eastenders Christmas special with the Ronin-like car chase between Ugly Mitchell and the bloke out of Spandau Ballet, only less realistic and with more swearing", I was pleasantly surprised to play Black Monday at the weekend, and found it to be fairly agreeable all round.

Forget what anyone else says on here- it's been significantly improved over the last game. For one thing, the graphics are excellent- the character animation and frame rate have been colossally improved. Combined with the beefed-up lighting and more expansive level design, it makes for a much more enjoyable game, at least from an aesthetic point of view.

Gameplay-wise, it's not been improved as much as the graphics have, but it's still a noticeable difference. The gunfights seem far more intense and involving than they did in the last game, with brutal gunshot sound effects and gruesome ragdoll physics. The car chases seem largely similar, although the handling has been improved slightly.

And there's the element in which Black Monday really excels- that of Unintentional Comedy Gold. The addition of motorbikes and Havok-esque physics mean that a brief session with the bike turns the game into a Buster Keaton-esque orgy of physical comedy, with some added Jackie Chan outtake stylings for extra buckle points- you'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll wince in agony as the main character does the splits at 110mph after coming off his ridiculously overpowered motorbike. Plus, the writers blatant lack of any kind of experience of the seedy side of life makes for some hilariously poor lines of dialogue, along with some brilliantly terrible characters- I especially like the way that Shoreditch in Black Monday is a hotbed of east end criminal geezers, rather than the hotbed of stupid haircuts and mad tossers it is in real life.

What can I say, then? I liked Black Monday and The Getaway- they blatantly don't deserve the role of forum game pariah they seem to have been awarded. They're both definitely better than clag like True Crime. Black Monday's pretty much the same as the last game, only better- a solid shooting/driving hybrid with excellent graphics and a comically shite storyline.