IGNORED

Your Favorite Gaming Moment Ever?

Rayn

You encountered the New Age Retro Hippy!

-----

Ness attacks!

28 HP of damage to the New Age Retro Hippy!

-----

The New Age Retro Hippy grumbled about today's youth.

Ness's guts went down by 3!

-----

Ness attacks!

25 HP of damage to the New Age Retro Hippy!

-----

The New Age Retro Hippy used toothpaste and brushed his teeth until they were really white!

The brightness of the New Age Retro Hippy's teeth scared his enemies!

Ness is petrified!

-----

The New Age Retro Hippy called for help!

But no one came.

-----

Ness tried PSI Healing alpha!

Ness regained movement!

-----

The New Age Retro Hippy used the ruler!

Now, he can figure out the length of things easily.

-----

Ness attacks!

SMAAAASH!!!!

92 HP of damage to the New Age Retro Hippy!

The New Age Retro Hippy became normal!

-----

YOU WON!!!

Ness gained 87 experience.

Ness is now level 13!

Offense went up by 2.

Defense went up by 3.

Oh yeah!  Speed went up by 6!

Guts went up by 1.

Vitality went up by 1.

Luck went up by 2.

Sweet!  Maximum HP went up by 14!

Maximum PP went up by 1.

SPOILERIFIC:

Rather than say Earthbound in general, I'll repeat what I said in another thread recently to describe THE moment. You know the one. The final battle. The game invokes YOU. I went into some kind of shock, as I realized all at once how much I fucking cared about these little kids, even though they almost never say a damned word. I loved them after being with them on their crazy adventures and watching them grow -- Poo with his training in which he had the strength to relinquish every part of his body piece by piece until only his mind remained, Ness with his deeply creepy journey into his mind where he encounters his memories and defeats the evil within himself, levelling up like fifteen times -- and I never even realized it until that desperate fight with Giygas, after the kids have given up their bodies and become walking tin cans in order to enter his realm and save the world. You try and try to beat him, but you just can't win, and ultimately Jeff and Poo will be paralyzed or worse, and Ness will be left beating off Giygas in an attempt to defend Paula, who desperately prays for anyone who can hear to help them. Different groups of people are shown suddenly thinking of them and praying for their safety, and each time Giygas is dealt more damage. Finally, after you can't think of anyone else to pray to, Paula prays to YOU, the PLAYER, with the very NAME you've given the game!! I cried, I got chills and I fucking cried, because the game told me that I was praying for their safety, and I realized jesus christ I am, I really am, and I cried.

That was the most remarkable thing a game has ever done to me.

Finally beating Wizpig over the line by half a cars length after hours of trying, only for him to jump onto a rocket and challenge me to a second race in space. A race which would see him beat me over and over again for another stressful few hours. Hugely satisfying in the end though.

Finally beating Wizpig over the line by half a cars length after hours of trying, only for him to jump onto a rocket and challenge me to a second race in space. A race which would see him beat me over and over again for another stressful few hours. Hugely satisfying in the end though.

And then there was the mirror mode. ;):lol:

Polito: You're almost at my quarters, hurry!

Get there, Janice Polito lies dead on the floor. Room expands into cyberspace.

"I AM SHODAN."

How the hell could I forget that bit? I'd been playing the game on Co-op (maximum awesomeness) when that bit kicked in.

How the hell could I forget that bit? I'd been playing the game on Co-op (maximum awesomeness) when that bit kicked in.

Co-op totally failed for me on XP, even with the patches up-to-date. Might have to try again soon, cause co-op SS2 would be UNTOUCHABLE.

I know where you're coming from, but that doesn't even come close to the feeling I got when I stepped into Gregorio's cathedral dor the first time and the power metal started to kick in. I get goosebumps every time. Then U-1's all like : 'WTF!', Puma's all like: "Believe in yourself!" and then all of a sudden that Mozart on crack appears.

Now that fills me with adrenaline.

The guy's a fucking fruit too. All those young boy choirs, scary stuff!

I agree with those who mentioned scaling the Yellow Head building in Shenmue 2. Such a brilliant rush. And the finale on the roof is the stuff of legend. How I long for number III.

My god when I saw Lan Di

I was screaming at the telly come on let me at him

My mum was not impressed :lol:

The top of the Yellow Head building in Shenmue II is just the most incredible thing I've ever experienced in a game. Getting to the top was magic, but once you're there, and you see Lan Di... Oh Suzuki-san, you do tease me so. :lol:

Also, as someone else has already mentioned, Christmas in Shenmue I, with Father Christmas walking through Dobuita. I can't remember if he was drunk or not (might be confusing him with all the drunken businessmen who walk home at night) but either way, it was just so beautiful. Hearing the snow crunch under your feet, a hard day's work forklifting crates around the harbour behind you. It's perhaps the only game that makes me sad when I find other people don't enjoy it.

Any of my limited time online with PSO (beating Falz). All of it was magical.

Coming home wasted and in an emotional crisis and getting the perfect ending on Rez.

Playing Sensible Soccer for the 1st time and it playing EXACTLY as you'd hoped from the screenshots and hype.

The very first time I solo ran to Jeuno (when I was just a level 12 squib) in FFXI or maybe being one of two survivors of an alliance of 10 who took on a Lizard in Yhoatar Jungle again in FFXI - getting to the zone barely alive but then wandering back into the jungle and seeing the jungle trail littered with the bodies of our erstwhile team (final scene of Platoon-like) - fantasic.

The very first time I solo ran to Jeuno (when I was just a level 12 squib) in FFXI or maybe being one of two survivors of an alliance of 10 who took on a Lizard in Yhoatar Jungle again in FFXI - getting to the zone barely alive but then wandering back into the jungle and seeing the jungle trail littered with the bodies of our erstwhile team (final scene of Platoon-like) - fantasic.

Geek.

:(

The top of the Yellow Head building in Shenmue II is just the most incredible thing I've ever experienced in a game. Getting to the top was magic, but once you're there, and you see Lan Di... Oh Suzuki-san, you do tease me so. :(

Also, as someone else has already mentioned, Christmas in Shenmue I, with Father Christmas walking through Dobuita. I can't remember if he was drunk or not (might be confusing him with all the drunken businessmen who walk home at night) but either way, it was just so beautiful. Hearing the snow crunch under your feet, a hard day's work forklifting crates around the harbour behind you. It's perhaps the only game that makes me sad when I find other people don't enjoy it.

So do you think I should try and get to the top of the building then? I've been stalled halfway up for a few months now. The QTE's crossing the beams really annoy me. I'm missing gaming gold arent I.

Geek.

:(

;)

The thing is any on-line game, in a persistant world with 3000 or more players in game at any time and where you create your own adventures, is bound to have gaming moments that are incredible.

In the same vein I could also put FFXI down for one or two of my worst gaming experiences too but the highs have definitely out weighed the lows.

The one which currently sticks in my memory is the much foreshadowed arrival of Meta Ridley in Metroid Prime.

You think your task's dealt with... suddenly, an explosion. The music kicks in. You crack your knuckles.

"Okay, let's dance."

Many more classic moments, but the recentness of that one makes it stand out.

Bums. The first time I went against Ridley (Super Metroid) and finally did it, my body was totally shaking (all those years ago). I'd used just about everything I had on the thing, and was down to using charge shots. When he finally keeled over, I was all "FUCKIN' DIE!".

Then I got in the next room, and thought something was very wrong. Where was my power up?

Being told by friends that "this geezer is really good at Tekken 2, better than you"

Going round his house with some mates, he played a few, I played a few, we sized each other up.

Then we played each other. I won :-)

PSO - Just great, the first time going online on the DC, the noise it made when you teleported to the planet..Falz - It was late, I was tired, I thought it was a dream..

Mario Kart 64 with mates. Many beers, Much smoke and stitching EVERYONE ELSE UP with a lightning bolt just before the jump on Wario stadium.

The T-Rex in Tomb Raider.

Rez - Your mates going "what the hell is this crap" and then picking up the joypad and getting IN TO IT.

Beating my sister at Lock n Chase on the Intellivision.

Watching football on telly and then trying the moves out in Pro Evo and scoring :-)

8 (hardware)

Getting your xbox modded and realising that it *is* as great as everyone says.

Thats it :-)

--

rmg.

The QTE's crossing the beams really annoy me. I'm missing gaming gold arent I.

Yes. Yes, you are. In particular if you're playing the DC version.

The QTE's are always the same. You could write them down or look them up on Gamefaqs. After which it is time to kick ass. A whole lot of it. :(

I've had shenmue 2 for months now and I havn't played past the carrying the books bit, its just pointless and annoying.

Really havn't enjoyed it at all compared to the first which I loved to bits.

Does it get better after that fucking library, I mean I've put in 10 hours and had about 2 ten second fights, beating up those thugs hassling the old lady and the boyos in the park.

One of my all-time fave gaming moments has to be 'Border Patrol' from Manhunt. I'm not exaggerating when I say I think it's one of the best levels ever designed for a videogame- it's up there with The Silent Cartographer or Train.

The setup is this- you're James Earl Cash, reborn nutcase, and you're halfway through turning the tables on your erstwhile captors. You start off locked in a garage at the outskirts of a vast country estate, and you've got to make your way through the grounds of the house. Standing in your way are several dozen heavily armed Cerberus troopers, all of whom are twitchy, pissed off, and looking to gun you down at the first opportunity.

The genius about this level is that it empowers you without making the game too easy. Most stealth games cast you as a weedy sapling klutz, unable to defeat even the weakest of enemies toe-to-toe, unable to walk down a corridor without making a colossal racket. Manhunt changes this, firstly by making your character a monolithic badass, but also by making the enemies so staggeringly brutal and tenacious that you've got to use every angstrom of badass you possess to even stay alive.

'Border Patrol' is the culmination of this in the game. Doing the level - even on the default difficulty - takes forever. You've got to split troops off from the pack, lure them into a hedge maze, and brutally slaughter them. You've got to endure blazing crossfires of lead, sneaking from cover to cover, and eventually work your way round the back of your assailants. And, most terrifyingly of all, you've got to walk across huge expanses of courtyard, knowing that at any second a guard could loom out of the fog and spot you.

It's ace, frankly. The feeling when you finally realise there aren't many guards left is an adrenaline rush like no other- it's like being the Predator, or Riddick. Knowing that you've gone up against an entire SWAT team, in a fair fight, and beaten them with skill, instinct and extreme pragmatism is a gaming thrill like no other. Manhunt- best stealth game ever.

Well done K. A post like that makes me want to check out this game asap.

This is my favourite gaming moment from recently (cut and pasted from a thread ages ago):

Call of Duty - PC

The mission: My British platoon are to capture and defend a German bridge until reinforcements arrive.

Capturing the bridge at night was relatively straightforward. The next day, German soldiers are spotted approaching from the West. From the west end of the bridge, we take up defensive positions. The machine gun I've been lugging around starts proving its worth as German soldiers clamber over fences only to be cut to ribbons.

But we're defending against soldiers coming from two directions. I jog back and forth between two firing spots, helping my squad hold off the ever mounting tide of Germans. What started as a turkey shoot is becoming a lot more serious. My machine gun has almost run dry and the the Germans are starting to overwhelm us. Suddenly I'm down to my manual loading rifle - it's simply not enough to hold them off.

The captain orders us to pull back to the bridge itself, where I find a smaller sub-machine gun and some much needed health. From behind minimal cover we try our best to avoid being overrun. I'm taking more hits now. We're rapidly losing the upper hand.

I'm ordered back across the bridge to a machine-gun nest. I gladly leave the front-line to take up my positon, bullets zinging past my ears as a weave left and right over the bridge. Just as I'm about to go up the steps into the pillbox, I see soldiers approaching from the East. For a split second I freeze. Not only are we being overwhelmed from the West, they are starting to pour in from the East.

I fire off a few innaccurate shots at the distant troops before running up to the machine gun to cover my pinned-down squad. When I look back out over the water, I see that the Nazis are pouring over the bridge and my squad have retreated to around my machine gun nest.

I start to lay down covering fire, mowing down the closest Germans. I can't tell how may I'm hitting because the muzzle flare from my machine gun is blinding. I start to take hits as they train their rifles on me, so I duck down to consider my next move.

Then comes the cry. "Tank, approaching from the North West! Get a Panzerfaust and take it out!" I realise by looking at the 'objective' display that the order was directed at me. The Panzerfaust rocket launchers are lying in a small trench at the entrance to my pillbox, so I have to poke my head outside to grab one. I see more Germans crossing the field from the East towards the entrance to my little safe-house, so I try to take out as many as I can with what little ammo I have left.

For the next few minutes I shuttle between the stash of Panzerfausts and the machine gun lookout point, firing rockets at tanks as they appear on my radar. In between, I make a few feeble efforts to help my pinned-down fellow soldiers to stave off the never-ending stream of storm-troopers coming from all directions. I can't leave my pill-box as the enemy fire is too intense and my health is too low, so I'm unable to go outside to pickup the medkits and ammo I can see nearby. I feel as though the walls are closing in. I know my fellow soldiers must be dropping like flies outside, but I'd rathar cower than die trying to save them.

Now, whenever I run out to the trench to grab another rocket, I come almost nose to nose with enemy soldiers. My other weapons empty, I'm down to my sidearm. I lean out from behind some boxes, fire off rounds at point blank range, pop back in, reload, and repeat. I few metres away a fellow Brit is helping me to keep this stream of Nazis from getting into the pillbox. I'm forced back into the pillbox again when I see stielhand grenades sailing into my trench from the next wave of enemies across the field.

Back up the steps to the machine gun lookout point, I take aim at the next tank. The tank's fires a shell that explodes right next to me. I fall down, and everything goes silent. The gunfire suddenly sounds miles away and my vision is blurred. I crawl back down the steps to recover in the safety of the trench, and I hear music similar to Addagio for Strings from 'Platoon' playing in the background.

Another boom and my hearing returns. Amazingly, I find a full-auto weapon from a dead German who had made it almost to the pill-box steps. I've never fired one of these guns before, but I get used to it quickly and mop up the immediate threat from across the field.

I'm almost dead. I need to run round to the front of my pillbox and get some more health, no matter what the risk. With my new sub-machine gun, I run out from my safe haven, firing at any incoming soldiers I see. I notice than some of my men are still alive.

I get to the health crates - and all the health is gone! I'm standing in the open a hair's breadth from death. This must be the end. I forget which button reloads my gun, and instead look around uselessly. But what's this? The soldiers are facing away from me. What's happening? I listen - the deafening gunfire has all but stopped.

It dawns on me that reinforcements have arrived. All around there are fresh British troops taking up defensive positions. I'm saved.

That little episode was the closest a game has come to recreating a Zulu-style siege. The feeling of claustrophobia was amazing. Being forced to use my puny .45 when my rifles were dry reminded me of films like Black Hawk Down. I was grateful to my friendly AI troops for helping me to survive the onslaught. What a truly excellent experience.

This is my favourite gaming moment from recently (cut and pasted from a thread ages ago):

Call of Duty - PC

The mission: My British platoon are to capture and defend a German bridge until reinforcements arrive.

That particular level is pure class, the best one in the game by far.