IGNORED

Ninja Gaiden

Phelan

Probably one of my favourite games ever. Battling against those black ninjas remains one of my favourite gaming experiences. Even if the plot is a load of incomprehensible shit...

Actually, I read a synopsis of the story on GameFaqs after finishing it (the guy who wrote it has expanded on it since I read it, making it way too long), and it's pretty good! I wasn't really following it when I played through, but once I had it explained I thought it was good stuff.

The bosses ruin it IMO. I had so much fun playing through and then I just stopped when I got to a stupid boss further on that was extremely hard to beat. It was that woman. And it was far away from the last save point (the other major niggle)... I can't be fucked trudging yet again just to get smacked down and figure out some obscure way of beating her, having already done that several times with other bosses. And half the bosses were exploited by using the wall-flip-stabdown thingy - didn't anyone notice this during designing the game or testing? The bosses were just crap.

But everything else is great. I want "Ninja Gaiden - minus the bosses!" version.

Actually, I read a synopsis of the story on GameFaqs after finishing it (the guy who wrote it has expanded on it since I read it, making it way too long), and it's pretty good! I wasn't really following it when I played through, but once I had it explained I thought it was good stuff.

Yeah, I read that too.

It just reinforced me thinking that the plot is a load of old shit.

When I open a door into a long, narrow corridor with three rocket-armed commandos at the far end, I find myself wondering if they're thinking, oh shit, that's a fucking NINJA I'm pointing this thing at -- just before I run towards them down the hall, jump to the wall and wall-run around their barrage, launch myself off with my blade flashing, taking one's head off in mid-air, spin and bury my sword in another's back before he can recover, block the third's melee, and counter with a kick that sends him reeling before cleaving him in two, and all, literally, in a scant three seconds.

When I open a door into a long, narrow corridor with three rocket-armed commandos at the far end, I find myself wondering if they're thinking, oh shit, that's a fucking NINJA I'm pointing this thing at -- just before I run towards them down the hall, jump to the wall and wall-run around their barrage, launch myself off with my blade flashing, taking one's head off, spin and bury my sword in another's back before he can recover, block the third's melee, and counter with a kick that sends him reeling before cleaving him in two, and all, literally, in a scant three seconds.

That is exactly why the game is so good. With the fluid combat system, you really are a badass ninja (although that bit with the rocket guys in the little corridor is damn hard!)

That is exactly why the game is so good. With the fluid combat system, you really are a badass ninja (although that bit with the rocket guys in the little corridor is damn hard!)

Just torch 'em. You know, that nippo thing....

I've forgotten the name now. :angry:

Oh and

Click For Spoiler
The Undead Archers...and virtually all the platforming sections

ARGH!

Yep. But it's not hard. Not if you react right away when you see them and dodge the first barrage. I'm serious about my question; so many times in the game I felt pity for the heavily armed elite mothers I was about to assassinate from the shadows. I empathized, man. Okay, not really. I lay in waiting, gleefully asking THE question, the one true question: Are you thinking, "Oh, SHIT. That is a fucking NINJA I'm pointing these big clunky guns at. A FUCKING NINJA."? Because you should be. I am a FUCKING N1NJ4.

Yep. But it's not hard. Not if you react right away when you see them and dodge the first barrage. I'm serious about my question; so many times in the game I felt pity for the heavily armed elite mothers I was about to assassinate from the shadows. I empathized, man. Okay, not really. I lay in waiting, gleefully asking THE question, the one true question: Are you thinking, "Oh, SHIT. That is a fucking NINJA I'm pointing these big clunky guns at. A FUCKING NINJA."? Because you should be. I am a FUCKING N1NJ4.

To often when the player is cast as a Jedi, a ninja, a superhero or whatever, you end up looking like a bumbling oaf, flailing wildly at the baddies before flopping gracelessly off a cliff. In Ninja Gaiden, the controls are so good and simple, you can move about the level and dispatch heavily armed foes with extreme finesse. None of this sticking on scenery or punching the air just to the left of a goon's face.

Your skills improve so much through the course of the game due to each section being increasingly harder than the next. It's been said many times before, but replaying this game after completing it, and destroying enemies who had previously given you much grief is such a joy.

And you unlock a lightsabre after completing it too.

I agree with Edge's view on the camera system, which can be all at once taken as criticism and praise - that it forces you to be psychic. Like a ninja, some might say.

Thing is, because all the attacks and blocking are auto-aim, you don't even need to the camera to be pointing in the right direction to kick ass. In fact, when it ends up in funny positions, you often get some really cool low angles or extreme close-ups, which makes the slicing action look even better. The camera didn't bother me at all in this game (though I realise I'm alone in thinking this).

Is Ninja Gaiden worryingly hard? Sure it is, but at the same time it's very much beatable if your skills are up to it. It never (to me) felt like an unfair game - any time you die it's simply your fault for not being good enough, as opposed to the game cheating.

As I progressed through it, it forced me to become a much better player. I'd say after taking down Church Ho I got "into the zone" and the game felt a lot easier after that.

Not that the difficulty had let up...I was just now a finely tuned killing machine.

Thing is, because all the attacks and blocking are auto-aim, you don't even need to the camera to be pointing in the right direction to kick ass. In fact, when it ends up in funny positions, you often get some really cool low angles or extreme close-ups, which makes the slicing action look even better. The camera didn't bother me at all in this game (though I realise I'm alone in thinking this).

I didnt have any problems with the camera either, seemed fine to me.

The platforming is just like everything else in the game; if you stop to think, you're gonna mess it up. You have to be a ninja, be decisive with every action, never hesitate. It all flows very well. I should know! I'm a ninja!!!!!1

No, the camera is just too low and the controls too twitchy for the platforming sections IMO. Perfect for the combat though, thankfully.

This is a game for real gamers, it doesn't take crap from you, infact it gives you a hell of alot of it, we sit here sweating "is it too hard!?", no it fucking isn't. Ninja Gaiden is a godsend.

I'll tell you something that DOES frustrate me, it's all these pansy games with pathetic difficulty levels that feel like a nice summer breeze, Ninja Gaiden is a burning mountain, a thunderous storm and a swarm of killer bees, and it's what the gaming world should be.

It's not even very hard, it's just some people seem to think "if I bash the buttons, I must surely win!" and get their asses handed to them on a plate because the game actually requires thought. THINK! THINK!

/rant

We all found this game difficult at first, me more than most I would say. I spent 2 hours on that horseman boss on level 2, fighting him, dieing, fighting, dieing. After 1 hour i finally beat him, but his horse fell ontop of me and killed me! But I didn't cry and make a whinging post on the forum, I got back up and fought him again! and after another hour, I won, and felt great because of it! That my friends, is what gaming is all about!

Buy this game.

I loved Ninja Gaiden from start to finish :P

True at some times it seemed silly hard, but once you learned how to fight, it became a real joy to play.

A couple of times I had to switch the xbox off as I was getting so pissed off with it, but then I'd go back the next day, and walk through the same sections.

The feeling of satisfaction when it does all 'click' is amazing :D

We all found this game difficult at first, me more than most I would say. I spent 2 hours on that horseman boss on level 2, fighting him, dieing, fighting, dieing. After 1 hour i finally beat him, but his horse fell ontop of me and killed me! But I didn't cry and make a whinging post on the forum, I got back up and fought him again! and after another hour, I won, and felt great because of it! That my friends, is what gaming is all about!

No. Gaming is about having fun.

But fun is subjective...so....yes.

IMO I'd proberly hate this game.

You can have muchos fun on a game without it being hard.

Saying that.

I love shumps but I hate frustration and games shouldn't make you frustrated.

I want a game to give me a buzz and playing a hard game just doesn't give me the same buzz as, say flying across a jump in some racing game or rushing through some tunnel. I love speed.

I'm still playing through this godshite of a game. It's ridiculously unfair, has atrocious design, fortunately it has the saving grace of some cool fighting. The placement of the save points in particular keeps me foaming at the mouth. And oh look, I can't use my health potion whilst being grabbed by a boss, even though I could for every other grab attack, and now I'm forced to watch a long animation of me dying - fun. An absolute travesty in places and the worst level and game design I've had to endure for ages, but somehow it calls me back now and again to try a little more.

Currently up to a labryrinth where little fish things attack you and send you into a horrifically annoying animation of shaking them off, unless you stand and attack to deflect their attacks for about 30 seconds. That's not fun, that's just lame.

I'm still playing through this godshite of a game. It's ridiculously unfair, has atrocious design, fortunately it has the saving grace of some cool fighting. The placement of the save points in particular keeps me foaming at the mouth. And oh look, I can't use my health potion whilst being grabbed by a boss, even though I could for every other grab attack, and now I'm forced to watch a long animation of me dying - fun. An absolute travesty in places and the worst level and game design I've had to endure for ages, but somehow it calls me back now and again to try a little more.

Currently up to a labryrinth where little fish things attack you and send you into a horrifically annoying animation of shaking them off, unless you stand and attack to deflect their attacks for about 30 seconds. That's not fun, that's just lame.

Nah, YOU'RE the lame one!!!!!!111

Fire wheels ninpo = lots of dead ghost fish

Another post giving much love to Ninja Gaiden. Definitely the game of the year imo. When you get killed, you know exactly why, and what you should have done instead. If you've got all your combos down pat then you wade back in with enough variation and flair to kill an army, and hopefully a new idea to get past the bit you died at last.

2 of my favourite things:

Learning how to beat the Black Ninjas while it still being fairly fresh in my mind just how much they used to scare me. Even though you learn how to beat them, you can never get to the stage where you can take your eyes off of them.

Undead Warriors and Archers. Just total combo cleaving fun. Again, you can't afford to take your eyes off of them in fear of those awesome sweeping swings, or the arrow being released into your face. This means that your timing has to be spot on. Now make that 8 of them at once trying their damndest to kill you .

Favourite weapon had to be the nun-chuks, just for the pure speed of them once they were going.

Does anyone remember going back up the chambers on the way to the bone dragon fight? Every time I leapt to the next platform I got knocked back down by a skeletal archer. Just one of the annoying points of the game I found, but other than that I found it to be one of the most engrossing games I have played this year.

I got to the worm boss. Yes thats right, a stupid worm that comes out of a hole. It had some fun parts but was just so soul crushingly lame in other places I gave up.

A WORM BOSS IS NOT THE PINNACLE OF GOOD DESIGN.

He seemed he should have been the easiest boss thus far but I'd entirely lost the will to play it by that point.