IGNORED

Ninja Gaiden

Phelan

I got to the worm boss. Yes thats right, a stupid worm that comes out of a hole. It had some fun parts but was just so soul crushingly lame in other places I gave up.

A WORM BOSS IS NOT THE PINNACLE OF GOOD DESIGN.

He seemed he should have been the easiest boss thus far but I'd entirely lost the will to play it by that point.

The worm boss was great. Whats even better is that later on...

Click For Spoiler

<otto from the simpsons>

theres like..

a DOUBLE worm boss!!!

</otto from the simpsons>

The stock generic monsters are so dull compared to the soldiers. Especially the black ninjas. The black ninjas are fantastic. First time you meet them, they cut you to pieces. Then you get the enormous satisfaction of steadily improving against them until you can wipe them out in seconds. BUT! You then get overconfident and the dance starts again. Skeleton zombies are, however, poo. No skill to fighting them at all. Pretty please with cream on top, will videogame developers stop using crappy monster/alien designs when they are so frequently horribly inferior to humans?

I've never gotten past the helicopter, although I've never really gone for it, because I know that after that the game is pretty much monsterville all the way to the end. I can see myself going back to it, though, because when Ninja Gaiden is good, it's very, very good indeed.

Jesus. This game is NOT hard on normal difficulty. It's just that since the playstation generation, games have generally become too easy. A lot of people get used to this easyness or have only started getting into games since the PSX era.

Compare this game to retro games and you will find most are much much harder than this.

This is is not hard, but challenging. While I agree the level 2 boss can be rather annoying (and a few other bits such as the one with those 3 archers on platforms; they are incredibly annoying if you have no shurikens or Art of the Inferno), once you've passed it the game is never too hard nor too easy. It constantly forces you to learn comboes and moves and become a better player. Once you've finished the game and replay the early levels, you'll realise how easy they are. Anyone who keeps dieing all the time should try reading the manual. There's a block button; USE IT! With most of the enemies, you can hold block indefinately and they can't touch you.

This game was one of the few games that I got a great amount of satisfaction from when completed and also persevered with when stuck, because of it's challenging nature.

hobo:

To beat Alma (from my unpublished FAQ):

use The Art of The Inferno at level 2 (hopefully you got the Jewel of The Demon Seal and didn't use it already on some other Ninpo), immediately after the CGI scene ends, run up to Alma and cast The Art of The Inferno on Alma while she's charging her move. The fire surrounding Ryu will knock her down and the fireball will do some damage and knock her down again.

Run up to her and do your most damaging combo, Crimson Slash works fine though. As soon as she gets up and combos don't work on her anymore, simply cast The Art of The Inferno on Alma again. She will get knocked down so use your best combo again. Repeat this but make sure when you do The Art of The Inferno you are standing next to Alma, otherwise she might avoid the fireball Ryu throws at her or by the time you run over to attack her with your sword she will have recovered. You should be able to kill her by repeating this technique 4 to 6 times.

Oh and get the Vigoorian Flails out when fighting the ghost fish.

I was thinking about buying this in the summer but I got something else instead and forgot about it. If I can find it cheap in the January sales I might pick it up. It'd probably suit me quite well. I remember whenever I first started gaming beating a boss used to mean something. It was probably just because I was considerably younger back then, but in a lot of games the bosses seemed rock hard, which is something I miss.

I'll be OK as long as it isn't as hard as that second hangar on the first level of Halo 2 (legendary) :unsure:

The first boss is simple. Whilst infront of him, hold the left trigger, roll backwards, X X, repeat and wash. I find that works pretty much every time.

I blimin' love this game. The perfect antidote to the Wind Wakers of this generation (never died once :unsure:). Once it clicks you can just run through most of it, so seriously, don't give up. I tried playing Prince of Persia afterwards, and the previously quick and nimble Prince felt incredibly slow and awkward in comparison.

For me it's only true weakness was the positioning of save points. Always position save points right before bosses, please. The camera isn't perfect, but I never felt it hindered me (with the exception of the Alma fight as it seemed to occassionally stick behind the pillars).

Especially 2D shooters. Now THEY are hard.

BTW, did anyone manage to get the Unlabored Flawlessness early or mid-game?

I went home last nigt and carried on with my 'consecutive play' game after reading this thread. Thanks to my mad ninja skillz, I've not wasted any dosh on health or ninpo, so I should have the paddle of doom powered up to the max pretty soon. I've not used it before, so I'm looking forward to it!

I'm under the monastary at the moment, which I think is one of the weakest parts of the game. Worth perservering through, so I can get to Tairon Under Alert and Military Base, which are brilliant!

In my humble opinion, Shinobi on the PS2 is much better and harder.

Finished them both on their default setting, traded NG in the next day but still play Shinobi to this day. The subtlety of the combo system is a joy once mastered.

Fear the ninja :unsure:

Agreed.

Figuring out that air-dashing the Boss' minions will leave you powered up enough to take it out with one hit, and the resulting carnage as you zip from one side of the arena to the other without touching the ground and getting a tate on the boss' death.

:P

Lovely game!

For most mortal gamers, with limited patience, limited free-time, and plenty of other more accessible games to get their teeth stuck into - Ninja Gaiden is simply too hard to be fun. It isn't worth the effort.

Yes, you can persevere past the stupid difficulty spikes and feel some sense of accomplishment if hardcore difficulty challenges turn you on. It's not for everyone though.

Personally I rented the game - I didn't buy it, because of the censorship in the PAL version. I don't feel I missed much to be honest. Nice controls, nice combat system, awful game. In my humble opinion. Too many other, better games to play. I really think Tecmo misjudged the difficulty of the game.

If you dig through the archives, you will find I made a similar (if not quite as damning) post about NG when I first got it.

Thing is - when you actually start to use the controls PROPERLY - when you actually start to think "I AM BADASS NINJA" - this is probably one of the best games EVER made - it's certainly my game of 2004 by a LONG LONG way.

Oh it's not 'noobie friendly' by any means - but the fact remains that the first boss is actually the hardest thing in the game once you've mastered it.

The girl in the church IS beatable - even with minimal health - IF you work out her attack patterns and you make proper use of the space available (there are NO shortcuts to beating her tho - you have to be patient).

Honestly tho - think of it more as a 3d fighter which takes place in a BIG BIG arena and you have a SUBLIME experience awaiting you.

Once I'd completed it, my only real complaint was that a couple of the levels could use more/closer together savepoints. The worst example is after the zeppellin - the save SHOULD be outside the shop - not the nightclub - would make the whole experience a bit fairer...

Need inspiration?? Try to find the torrent download of the guy beating the bosses and other enemies on the hardest difficulty - it worked for me, he's utterly and totally amazing - makes it look easy-peasy.

Whatever you do tho - don't pass the opportunity to play one of the best games EVER made - seriously, for once it's not the game which is faulty - it's you...

JP

p.s. http://www.master-ninja.com/ng/ - r0x0rs...

If you dig through the archives, you will find I made a similar (if not quite as damning) post about NG when I first got it.

Thing is - when you actually start to use the controls PROPERLY - when you actually start to think "I AM BADASS NINJA" - this is probably one of the best games EVER made - it's certainly my game of 2004 by a LONG LONG way.

Was it you who kept saying the game is 'broken'? I'm pleased you saw the error of your ways and can admit to changing your mind! ;)

Yup, that was me - I kept using the term "broken" cos I had died for about the 200th time trying to get as far as the nightclub - so I still maintain that savepoint is in the wrong place ;)

Thing is - I went back to that a few times just for the HELL of it and it's a great playground for mass killing - but until you know EXACTLY what you're doing, it's a bit of a death-spigot...

Given that I didn't have the same problem ever-again upto the end I think the designers or testers may agree...

I have to thank the RLLM forum for making me stick at it tho - there is simply NO other game which rewards the way NG does when you get it right - none - but without a few hints and encouragements I'd probably have chucked-the-hat-in too...

JP

Yup, that was me - I kept using the term "broken" cos I had died for about the 200th time trying to get as far as the nightclub - so I still maintain that savepoint is in the wrong place ;)

Thing is - I went back to that a few times just for the HELL of it and it's a great playground for mass killing - but until you know EXACTLY what you're doing, it's a bit of a death-spigot...

Given that I didn't have the same problem ever-again upto the end I think the designers or testers may agree...

that save point is ridiculously far from the start of the level. In fact, it's right at the end of the level IIRC!

However, as you say, it's a great level with lots of opportunities to train against the black ninjas in nice big arenas. By the time you get to the save, you should have got through it without blowing all your health potions.

After that, though, it eases up a bit (until Alma...)

Gaiden is so fantastic I can barely articulate it. I completed my second run through on Very Hard a few days ago and I'm sure I'll go back for more. I'm really not an expert gamer, there's just different ways of doing different bits. The enemies are often quite individual and you can't use the same tactic for all of them.

Special praise goes to the incredible Alma. She is the best boss character I've ever seen. I've never fought a character so intelligent and who gave the impression of having a real tactical mind. And she's pretty cool in and of herself anyway. I'm sure there's AI flaws in there somewhere to be exploited which mean she's dead easy, but I've never found them and I'm not sure I want to.

Game of the year, easily.

Picked this up on the way home after reading this thread. Only played about 45mins (Firefly beckons), but it all seems a bit "meh" so far. And where are the decent graphics I've heard about?

Still, I'm sure you lot know what you're talking about. I'll play again tommorow.

I thought it was worthless. Shit camera, boring graphics, no soul. Oh, and ridiculously cruel. The camera, it's just dire beyond belief, even with the hurricane pack, which made a shit game even shitter.

Well done, Tecmo.

Well, when you compare it to it's closest competiton, which is probably Shinobi, it's a fucking masterpiece. And I thought the graphics were amazing, not only because they were pretty, but unlike all the other console games with 'amazing' graphics this one also managed a steady 60fps framerate - which is vital. The game doesn't really take off until chapter 3 though, when you learn countering and get the 'Flying Swallow' move (at least I think it's called that).