IGNORED

Ninja Gaiden

Phelan

I too went through 'xbox throughthe window' . Really hated having to do rooms over and over though. I distictly rememeber doing the red then blue doors again and again only to be beaing beaten down by the 'blob monster' boss. Finally gave up on the two worms. WIll try to go back to it eventually. I found gamefaqs made the game bearable.

For those who bring up nasty difficulty AND Shinobi - I have an easy counter.

In Shinobi, the level with the 'guy with the box' - the 'cross shaped' room in which he appears and disappears at random - oh and regenerates health at a STAGGERINGLY unfair rate etc. etc. - after 20 mins I think I'd gotten NOWHERE.

Upto that point, I'd REALLY been enjoying Shinobi - but that level was so bad I just gave up and traded it - NOTHING on NG is that annoying - not even close...

Oh - NG also manages to avoid having 'Turok-style endless drops' which you can easily fall into just by using the combat system - another 'evil' which Shinobi (and Tenchu 3 for that matter) excels at...

As for NG's camera, I can honestly say I never, ever had a problem with it - much like the combat, it's a matter of using it to your advantage, battling the enemies NOT the camera...

NG is my GOTY by some margin - nothing actually comes close...

You need to 'be' that Ninja tho - this isn't a spectator sport <_<

JP

Let's just accept that 3D cameras will always be problematic. Such is is the nature of a camera in a 3D game.

However, as someone has pointed out, when the camera occasionally goes wrong, it shoudn't affect the game much since the moves in the game are all auto-targeting. So no more bitching about the camera.

EDIT: But hey at least the camera isn't like the stupid Otogi one; you lean the stick to the left, the camera turns right; you lean the stick to the right, the camera turns left. I usually love games like Otogi, but I didn't play the game past level 4 because of the fucking controls.

to be honest, I think that if Ninja Gaiden wasn't so hard it'd be a pretty boring game, cos the structure and non combat bits are fairly basic. The fact that the enemies don't stand around waiting to be skullfucked like in most 3d beatemups and that every single baddie in the game can kill you without much bother makes it all the more frantic, and much more satisfying to play, and play well.

I love it, and I really don't know what various people expected it to be like.

The worst example is after the zeppellin - the save SHOULD be outside the shop - not the nightclub - would make the whole experience a bit fairer...

This is made even more stupid by the fact there is ANOTHER save point on top of the club, which is literally about 10 seconds away if you jump off the roof. What's the point? No saves for ages from the very start of the level until the end, and then there are 2 literally right next to each other. I think they dropped the ball there, but the only other bits that annoyed me were fighting your way up that tower at the end, and fighting the deman king with the 2 bosses 3 groups of enemies infront of him. Hard but not impossible.

Thing is, though HL2 is my game of the year, no game this year (or ever, for that matter) has ever gave me so much satisfaction from doing it right as Ninja Gaiden. I'll cry with frustration, but after I beat that uber-boss I feel like the happiest fucker alive, and when I replay it and finish it with ease I look back on how hard I thought it was and laugh. Until the Hurricane Packs come along, that is...fuck those, man.

The game isn't easy by any means... but I think it's difficulty HAS been overstated.

I got frustrated at the start too, but I'm a normal dude with a full time job, and who (shamefully) probably spends more time posting here and reading about games than I do playing them... it's not just for 'kids' who have unlimited gaming time.

Just persevere a bit Phelan...

I was also ready to take this game back until something just clicks once you master some techniques and fine eneies weaknesses.

This game make you feel like a ninja like no other when you pull off some amazing moves agains a horde of other badass ninjas. I wish Temco had perhaps given some more hints and tips in the manual or more in-game hints as I pretty much found some moves and techniques talking to others on the internet that work well that I perhaps would not have found out otherwise. I found the reverse wind technique (the rolling move) followed by jumping to be invaluable to avoid being hit as you have to keep moving against most enemies otherwise your arse will get handed.

Yeah, I fought Alma again yesterday, and the roll-jump-roll-jump method of moving is almost essential to avoid taking damage. In fact I tend to move around the levels using this technique even when there are no baddies around. It's quicker I think.

Yeah, I fought Alma again yesterday, and the roll-jump-roll-jump method of moving is almost essential to avoid taking damage. In fact I tend to move around the levels using this technique even when there are no baddies around. It's quicker I think.

Exactly, you are just able to cover much more ground in a short space of time with that technique. There are other techniques that work well but I will have to dig ninja gaiden out to remember them as I beat the game 2 months ago. :( Go me.

• 11 months later...

Time to resurrect this.

I got Ninja Gaiden the day I got my Xbox, just over a year ago. A combination of disk errors and the wonderful OutRun2 meant I hardly got anywhere in it. Just before the first worm boss, I think, and I kept getting DREs after five minutes of play.

Anyway, having got the Xbox modded a few months back, I thought I'd stick it on the HD and give it another shot. Which took me most of Saturday, as the drive was struggling to read it. Finally got it done though and sat down with it at dawn yesterday morning after the cat denied me another lie-in.

So, you know. Wow.

I really struggled with it when I first played it. I don't know if it was familiarity with the levels I remembered doing or whatnot but I breezed through the first few chapters with no problems at all.

The black ninjas used to absolutely destroy me but I'm ripping through them. I'm yet to fail to kill a boss first time. I'm using essence moves a lot more now which is helping tremendously. Kill one, knock the next away with a counter, charge up the essence move then let fly when he gets back up again. Sweet. :(

To be honest I think the difference is that in between first playing this and restarting it yesterday I've put a good 50 hours into Dead or Alive Ultimate. The timing of button presses for counters is near-identical so I'm pulling them off with ease, and now I'm thinking of it like a 3d fighter with a massive play area I'm having far less problems. Less button-bashing, more thought.

Only complaints so far are save point placements, platforming sections (I'm under the monastery at the moment so just did the horrible bit with the three archers), and the occasional camera problem - but as has been pointed out upthread, the autotargeting is so sound that you don't always need the camera in a sensible place.

It is punishing if you get complacent, and my only deaths so far have been up against groups of enemies with a less than half-full energy bar where I've not bothered to use a potion on the assumption that I'll kill these guys off and get some health.

Did the fossil dragon boss yesterday then fucked up a platform jump immediately afterwards and killed myself. :blink: Anyway, roll on hometime. :(

The timing of button presses for counters is near-identical so I'm pulling them off with ease, and now I'm thinking of it like a 3d fighter with a massive play area I'm having far less problems. Less button-bashing, more thought.

This is why I fail to do it, I can't get my head around 3D fighters at all. And NG IS a 3D fighter. The Xbox pad doesn't help but I tried it with some proper pads and it still didn't help.

Never mind ;)

Yesterday, I utterly despised this game ("Crap camera! Crap controls! Totally unfair! What a load of shit!" etc etc), but today I beat the zombie skeleton guy first time, so I'm well into it. It's weird; I think that this game destroys my capacity to be objective--I only like it when I'm doing well.

I'm into it being difficult though--I would have played ikaruga once through if it had a 'normal' difficulty level, but I went back and back for months trying to get really good at it (and never succeeded! What a bastard!).

The occassional rock-hard game is good, but I would literally stop playing videogames if they were all this hard!

I think the fact that there is such a tangible learning curve indicates that Ninja Gaiden has a lot to offer anyone willing to put the time in and stick at it through the beginning stages, even when it seems stupidly hard. However if you persisit, you WILL notice your ninja skills rapidly increasing!

I beat it on normal and NO desire to try the harder settings, as I felt I had accomplished quite enough, thank you very much.

The brilliant thing about Ninja Gaiden though is that it isnt all that hard (relatively speaking) once you get the hang of it and it becomes such an amazing experience, to be able to flow perfectly along...I cant describe it, its an almost perfect game.

In fact the way it works, kind of reminds me of Super Monkey Ball, two of my favourite games ever made and the best games available for their respective systems.

My only real grumble is the bosses. The normal enemies are hard enough.

I checked gamefaqs for both the bosses I was new to yesterday - worm guy and fossilosaur guy - simply because I noticed there wasn't a save point right before the boss and didn't want to get frustrated by dying.

Bosses can fuck off, imo.