IGNORED

Ninja Gaiden

Phelan

I've reached Alma having just bought Black (and playing the standard NG to death) and don't have any ki or health potions left.

I'm currently on my 10th go trying to beat her :D

(And with no shops or other redeeming measures in sight, I might have to start all over!)

I needed 6 fireball attacks and tons of luck. :wub:

Always save on a new save slot, folks! That way you can't get 'stuck' :D

Aye.

Something I picked up from gamefaqs last night - if you jump off the side of the suspension bridge instead of waiting for the collapse cutscene, you can use it to get back to the Murasama statue after beating the worm thingy, to restock on potions.

I'm just coming up to the Alma fight now. Not really looking forward to this evening, judging by her reputation. :)

There was an Edge editorial a while back the spelt out why trying to recreate balletic action scenes in games like Enter the Matrix never really compares with the original scene. The player ends up running into walls, falling on his face, punching into thin air.

Well, the best thing about Gaiden is that, when you get good at it, you really do look like a badass ninja slicing through the opposition like a hot knife through butter. The wacky camera angles you sometimes get make it look even better.

Shame about the slowdown on the 360. Let's hope they fix it.

I really wish they'd included the 3 NES titles on the "Black" version. Hell, there are people over at IGN who own the original version and still aren't aware of the existence of any older titles. This is one franchise that should definitely be bandying its heritage about all over the place...

I only just picked this up in the second hand section the other day. I have been playing PoP: Warrior Within and remembered people saying that at times it was similar and that the fighting was good.

Something else was niggling at me but I couldn't remember what the hell it was. Then I took it home, put in in my Xbox and it all came flooding back to me.

How fucking hard did they decide to make this game? Normal mode makes me want to actually hunt and kill the designers, I haven't even attempted to put on hard mode for fear of what I will do to my Xbox and anyone around within a ten metre radius.

It's fucking impossible. Enemies who appear right BEHIND you as you fight two other guys, WHILE some fucker is firing magic bolts at you, WHILE you try to flip, can't move and die ... AGAIN.

Who the hell enjoyed this game? It's not fun. It seems to have sapped all fun out of life. It's grating. It's annoying. It's a fucking travesty of a game. Sure it looks nice but it's combat is unbelievable. Even when you think you have it all figured out it turns out you don't. And you die again.

Don't even get me started on the horsemen.

I want to take it back, but someone might actually buy it and go through what I did. I think I'll do an Atari and bury it in the back garden.

Ah yes, another 'We all hate/love Ninja Gaiden' [delete as appropriate] thread.

Yet... Fuck, Hell YES! I hear you brother.

Let me draw your attention to my previous comments on this over rated game:

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showtopic=86044&st=160

"Fun? Fun?!?! I could've taken £12.95 and converted it to bloody spiny fish and crammed up my arse for more fun than this shite."

It really isn't fun. It's annoying. And that twat Itagaki should be strung up.

Will

I'm going slightly nutty here. I'm still struggling to beat Alma. I've probably had about 50 goes.

No ki, no potions, no save points from before this point!

That's six hours of gameplay I risk losing in order to start again ;)

That's just bad game design.

There is a save point right before you go up the lift from the water to fight her. You have to dive under the water and down a passage to get to it.

Ah yes, another 'We all hate/love Ninja Gaiden' [delete as appropriate] thread.

Yet... Fuck, Hell YES! I hear you brother.

Let me draw your attention to my previous comments on this over rated game:

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showtopic=86044&st=160

It really isn't fun. It's annoying. And that twat Itagaki should be strung up.

Will

So you didnt like it because you wer crap at it? :)

I personally love Ninja Gaiden. All because its about learning patterns, the rules are set and very rigid. And because its really fucking hard! ;)

YESSSS FUCKING YESSS!

Did it ;)

Haha :P And there lies the beauty of the Gaiden. It's frustrating as balls, but when you finally get through that bit that's held you up for the past 5 weeks, it's the greatest feeling ever.

BTW you'll also notice every other game you play from now on is piss easy :)

The section between the Chamber of Everlasting Sleep and Alma is arguably just slightly bad game design, simply because there's a save point after the point of no return and no way to go back and stock up on potions before the boss. And if you've no energy left and you just saved over your only save game... you've got a problem.

One or two nuances (damned if I'll call them flaws) like this doesn't detract from the shining majesty of the entire game however. It's an absolute gem and should be in everyone's collection. Even if they don't have an Xbox.

Anyway, some vids of Master Ninja mode:

Chapter 1.

Chapter 2.

I only just picked this up in the second hand section the other day. I have been playing PoP: Warrior Within and remembered people saying that at times it was similar and that the fighting was good.

Something else was niggling at me but I couldn't remember what the hell it was. Then I took it home, put in in my Xbox and it all came flooding back to me.

How fucking hard did they decide to make this game? Normal mode makes me want to actually hunt and kill the designers, I haven't even attempted to put on hard mode for fear of what I will do to my Xbox and anyone around within a ten metre radius.

It's fucking impossible. Enemies who appear right BEHIND you as you fight two other guys, WHILE some fucker is firing magic bolts at you, WHILE you try to flip, can't move and die ... AGAIN.

Who the hell enjoyed this game? It's not fun. It seems to have sapped all fun out of life. It's grating. It's annoying. It's a fucking travesty of a game. Sure it looks nice but it's combat is unbelievable. Even when you think you have it all figured out it turns out you don't. And you die again.

Don't even get me started on the horsemen.

I want to take it back, but someone might actually buy it and go through what I did. I think I'll do an Atari and bury it in the back garden.

Christ, what a pussy.

Well, it really is a difficult game, but only if you play it with the mentality of other action games. Ninja gaiden does not wait for you to act, you need to act faster than it expects. Enemies do not stay back, waiting for your first move, the come at you... I did not find it very difficult. In fact, i managed to finish it (some bosses too) just using the dash-beheading techinque, jumping and blocking. Talk about breaking Itagaki's battle system... Anyway, if you learn more than 10 moves, it should be less difficult.

And yes, the gameplay has many design faults. But it's such a tremendous action game that at the time i was walking in the street with a Ninja outfit. No, really...

Christ, what a pussy.

Hi,

I'm Phelan and I'm a pussy!

You know I still go back to this game quite often and try to do something with it and every time I end up frustrated and annoyed. It's like seeing someone you hate but you keep going back for more.

Don't know why I do it but I do. I'm still stuck on the game :o

Maybe one day I'll complete it but who knows

Right. I have decided that seeing as this game appears to hate me so much, I am going to hate it right back.

There's a room in the Aquaduct level between a save point and a Murasama statue with 10 respawning sewer zombies. Kept going in and out of said room getting 2,000 or so essence each time until I was full up on potions, the Dragon Sword and the great big fucking sword to full power, etc.

Very cheap and not something I've done since the 16 bit era, probably, but then this is pretty much the hardest game I've played since then so I think it's justified.

Really enjoying it but at the same time I kinda want it to be over so I can play something else.