IGNORED

Ninja Gaiden

Phelan

Yeah, arrows can do the job down them catacombs as well if you find a decent perch to fire from. Incediaries stun them, which is the nicest part about them - you can attack while they're off guard (watching out for the guys at the back), or simply throw more until they die, blocking right after.

I found arrows were too slow, especially if the archers don't all fire at the same time, but maybe I'm just rubbish. In the end I used incendiary shurikens on the first one, then used the essence released to kill the other two with Ultimate Techniques.

Kayin, are there black ninjas on the first level in NGB as well, or just the first Hurricane Pack?

On Saturday night I completed NG on Normal again though I had to use a Talisman of Resurrection on the Devil King. I was trying to use the UF on him with low health and got beaten rather hard. I stayed close to him so that I could jump up and do the Blade of Niirti on him, and took a third of his energy off him but then he did some kind of throw on me for the first time ever. Git

Now I'm trying it on hard and it's somewhat more tricky.

Well, it depends on how you use the arrows. They are definitely too slow if you're in the zombie's direct line of fire since Ryu takes ages to line up his target and loose a shaft. If you snipe them from certain points where they don't have a bead on you you can take them out - but all in all, incendiaries are my definite preference.

Ninja Gaiden Black's enemies all depend on the difficulty you're playing on. On normal it's more or less plain old Ninja Gaiden with a few tweaks here and there. Hard is basically the Hurricane Pack with some other tweaks and no intercept - Black Spider Ninjas start appearing on level 1. Also, Clone Ryu becomes a miniboss at certain points of the game.

Very Hard starts pitting you up against Shadow Ninjas, those buggers with the windmill shuriken. They're not too difficult though, not if you've already finished the game on Hard. Some new enemy placement, tougher versions of fiends you've fought and a few new enemies and bosses. I'm not entirely sure, but you may have every enemy in NGB in Very Hard mode, they just have less of the tougher enemies. Oh, and more versions of Clone Ryu too.

Master Ninja - Inferno Ninjas right off the bat when you've still got no techniques learned, Black Crab Fiends become a normal enemy in the Aquaducts, you don't get squat for your Golden Scarabs, you get the toughest brand of each enemy available in nearly every encounter - it's fairly difficult. Also, your 60 fiend challenges (due to the incremental 20 enemy addition for each difficulty) are now 120 fiend challenges. It's great fun!

Gar: Oh, there's very little that can compare to NG for me. God of War was excellent, but it felt more like an adventure game than an action game - sort of like Rygar on a massive budget and with much more enemies and moves. Beautiful scenery, and some really interesting puzzles... but the action pretty much boiled down to my using one or two combos over and over with little reason to fear their reprisals.

NG's too hard for many people without patience since it can put them off from the sheer difficulty of it, but most people who stick in become hopelessly addicted. You really do improve at the game - on your second runthrough you'll be creaming enemies left right and centre.

If Ninja Gaiden 2 captures the sense of scale that GOW had and retains the masterful gameplay and insane addictiveness it currently possesses... holy God, that'd be something.

Made it down into the catacombs yet? Here's a hint: Save incendiary shurikens for use when 'coming back up'. You'll know what I mean when you get there, and it should save you some frustration.

Zombie Archers yeah? Fucking cunts. I tried just running past them but kept falling off the platforms. I'll incendiary those mofo's this afternoon.

Am I right in saying that NGB checks saved games from NG and thus automatically unlocks Very Hard and Master Ninja for you if you've already completely NG on Normal/Hard? I'm planning on getting NGB, but I suspect that I'll need to complete NG on Hard and Very Hard before attempting it.

Oh, and I managed the Fiend Realm challenge without dying. The tricky part was killing the first Black Claw Fiend without getting caught by his laser beam or by his grab attack first. Then the other hard part comes when the fuckers keep spawning off-camera and then laser-beaming you and jumping on top of your head. I got such an adrenaline rush when I finished it and realised that I hadn't been touched at all. :wacko:

God knows how I'd cope with three of them at a time though, as the five or so (only 3 at a time though) on the 4th level of the Core were tough. I was too chicken to use the UF with low health so used the Dabilahro instead, but I kept getting grabbed when attacking them. Any hints on how to deal with them? If it's one of them and the claw fiends, I usually kill the claw fiends first and then use an Ultimate Technique on the Claw Fiend.

But you can do every boss without being hit, if you're good enough..

Sadly I'm not. It's off to Ebay at this rate. I must have tried it about 25 times.

Nearly did it just now.

Yalv: Hints for the Giant Black Enemy Crabs, eh? To be honest, the best thing you can do is use an upgraded Art of the Inferno on the bastards. The Dabilahro's big XXXXY combo stuns them with the first attack, and the Wind Run > Head stomp is great for delaying them if the swines are going nuts. Generally though, they'll go through a lot of your attacks and it's easier just to annihilate them with magical ninja ass kickery.

Or, as you said, kill off a few minions and then do a landing UT for MASSIVE DAMAGE.

I wouldn't worry too much about completing Ninja Gaiden's harder difficulty modes before getting hold of Black, since the biggest difference that I can recall is that it gives the enemies more health. Black actually throws loads of awesome new stuff at you for each difficulty you try.

If you've finished NG, you unlock Hard in NGB. If you've finished the hurricane packs, you unlock Very Hard... but nothing unlocks Master Ninja Mode, unfortunately. You have to run through at least Very Hard in Black to open it up. One nightmare for me was the fact that I had to run through all the difficulties to get MNM open since I'd been playing a PAL version of NG and I bought a US copy of Black.

D.C: If you're really having problems, skip using the grail and climb back up to the Monastery. There's a shop near the gate in one of the side buildings.

I'll tell you this now since it's your first time through - be absolutely certain to keep two saves after a certain point in Chapter 7. Once you find yourself in a room called the 'Chamber of Everlasting Sleep' - it looks like a pharoh's tomb with a minor floor puzzle inside it - make another save. There's a nasty boss after that point and if you don't have any health potions and the like to help get you through it, you're probably going to put something through the TV. Possibly even your head.

After the flood, you can't go back. Remember that, and save accordingly.

So is it worth trying to get hold of NGB if I'm going to go back and have another crack at NG? This thread has inspired me a bit but I don't know whether it's worth additional outlay on Black seeing as I already have the original. What's the consensus of opinion?

Yalv: Hints for the Giant Black Enemy Crabs, eh? To be honest, the best thing you can do is use an upgraded Art of the Inferno on the bastards. The Dabilahro's big XXXXY combo stuns them with the first attack, and the Wind Run > Head stomp is great for delaying them if the swines are going nuts. Generally though, they'll go through a lot of your attacks and it's easier just to annihilate them with magical ninja ass kickery.

Ah. It's the fucking Shinobier syndrome that's killing me then. I keep on trying to do the entire game without using Ninpo at all and whilst it's gotten me far, around the time I got to the last-but-one boss I got fed up and Inazuma'd that guy into oblivion. That felt satisfying I can tell you! :)

TAKE THAT YOU FUCKING BONEY CUNT! SUCK MY THROBBING NINJA PENIS!!

It just got good again :wub:

Thanks Kayin. Cracked it in the end with no potions.

:wub:

Congratulations! Seriously, that boss also took me untold attempts to beat the first time through and I was about to throw in the towel but I got him in the end, and on my successive play I beat him first time. Don't worry. Your ninja skills will only grow and grow from now on!

So is it worth trying to get hold of NGB if I'm going to go back and have another crack at NG? This thread has inspired me a bit but I don't know whether it's worth additional outlay on Black seeing as I already have the original. What's the consensus of opinion?

This is slightly tricky. If you have Live, you can get the Hurricane Pack which is supremely nails. Best download ever.

Black has everything from the original, DECAPITATIONS, a 50 challenge strong mission mode including the HP3, new costumes, new enemies, Smoke Bombs, shiny new difficulties, enemy clones of Hayabusa... loads of awesome new stuff.

The problem is that if you haven't finished NG on your current Xbox, you have to play normal to unlock hard, play through hard to unlock very hard, play through very hard to unlock Master Ninja Mode, then have everyone kneel at your feet after you finish that. Also, there's bizarrely no intercept in the game which is one of the things that made Ninja Gaiden's HP so incredibly fun.

For a tenner second hand though? Well worth it, especially if you don't have a copy with decaps in it already. They're just eye candy, but make the action seem so much more visceral. There's a real punch to a move that removes some dude's face. More than that, the extra difficulties will feel nice and fresh as you ramp it up since enemy placement, item placement and the enemies themselves will all be different.

TAKE THAT YOU FUCKING BONEY CUNT! SUCK MY THROBBING NINJA PENIS!!

It just got good again :)

Well done, man! Keep your memories of that accomplishment in place the next time some boss or section does your nut in - the pain is worthwhile!

That's one of NG's most awesome factors. You get stuck at something, you finally beat it and it feels like the best thing in the world... but it never gets boring in successive playthroughs because it's your UBER SKILLZ and LIGHTNING FAST NINJA REFLEXES that are the only thing preventing your brains from meeting the pavement. And you'll be surprised at just how easy so much of it suddenly feels in your next run.

Ah. It's the fucking Shinobier syndrome that's killing me then. I keep on trying to do the entire game without using Ninpo at all and whilst it's gotten me far, around the time I got to the last-but-one boss I got fed up and Inazuma'd that guy into oblivion. That felt satisfying I can tell you! :wub:

:wub:

Ah, Shinobier syndrome. Ninpo's never been a grey area for me - I don't use it in normal fights, but there are certain enemies I'll happily use it on if I think they're going to give me gib. These are Black Crab Fiends and the first form of the Emperor, usually. I'm assuming you know Iberian's page - while I've not downloaded that many recently, I hear KyoIori's got some impressive vids going for him.

My own video productions are on hold right now since my old capture card broke, and I wany something that can record in Pal 60. I just hope Ninja Gaiden 2 also has a Master Ninja Tournament and additional free content for download.

Right. I'm not using this Ninpo thing and I have loads of these red exilirs. What or how do I use them? I don't even have a red energy bar?

Sorry if its a stupid question.

My 360 sounds like its constantly accessing the disc now. Didn't earlier in the game....

Whats the Anime like then? Worth getting?

Well for a week or so now, NG: B (hard mode) has kept me in a constant state of frustration, as time and again, Alma takes huge chunks out of me.

I've had some of the most spiteful and joyless times of my gaming life with Gaiden, and despite the pay off when you finally break through, the hours of frustration are simply to high a price. The combat is lovely of course, and I've thoroughly enjoyed ploughing my way through the many ninjas and fiends in my path, but - yet again - boss encounters simply up the bar past my natural ability, and strip my love of the game away.

I'll doubtless return to it from time to time, but I think I'm going to take a break and return to something like Fahrenheit, where what time I have for gaming isn't blighted by consistent failure and fury, as for the hundredth time I swim my way to Alma's barrier to gaming goodness.

Naturally I blame the camera ever time :lol:

Yep, the tanks come before the helicopter. Once you nail the heli, no more tanks.

Unless, that is, you're talking about the one in the courtyard to the Military Base, which I doubt - all you have to do is block against that thing until it gets bored and leaves.

Yeah the one in the courtyard.... but it fires rockets sat me.. ROCKETS!!!!!1111oneone!!

Right. I'm not using this Ninpo thing and I have loads of these red exilirs. What or how do I use them? I don't even have a red energy bar?

Sorry if its a stupid question.

Whats the Anime like then? Worth getting?

Ninpo, eh? Well, you automatically pick up a single shot of it as soon as you get your hands on the Art of the Firewheel in Chapter 2 - you need to pick it up, so don't worry about having passed it by. The others can be found in chests and as rewards for finishing off 60 fiend challenges - the exact location differs depending on the difficulty level.

Just equip it from your menu (I'd recommend the Art of the Inferno most of the time, you can buy it from Muramasa) and press Y and B at the same time to activate. Toasted enemies guaranteed!

The anime... well, it's not based on the current series and has hilarious 80's animation. Fairly good hilarious 80's animation, but the style's a dead giveaway. I watched it a while back and it's kind of fun, though certainly not something I'd really recommend over Gankutsuou or something.

Well for a week or so now, NG: B (hard mode) has kept me in a constant state of frustration, as time and again, Alma takes huge chunks out of me.

I've had some of the most spiteful and joyless times of my gaming life with Gaiden, and despite the pay off when you finally break through, the hours of frustration are simply to high a price. The combat is lovely of course, and I've thoroughly enjoyed ploughing my way through the many ninjas and fiends in my path, but - yet again - boss encounters simply up the bar past my natural ability, and strip my love of the game away.

I'll doubtless return to it from time to time, but I think I'm going to take a break and return to something like Fahrenheit, where what time I have for gaming isn't blighted by consistent failure and fury, as for the hundredth time I swim my way to Alma's barrier to gaming goodness.

Naturally I blame the camera ever time :lol:

On Alma, you can actually get away with blaming the camera. There's only a few sections in the game where the camera will occasionally STAB ME IN THE EYES, and Alma's one of them. The problem is compounded through additional fiends stealing the focus away from her, as well as jumping too close to one of the walls.

It's okay most of the time, but get too close to a wall and BAM. A fine shot of Ryu's arse.

It's interesting that you found some of it joyless and spiteful, since I've always been having major fun with it even when I wanted to stick my head in a vice and squeeze until my brains popped out. If something's giving you shit, maybe the faq I wrote(which doesn't link, so check the post below) will help you out in some of the situations. It's for the original, and some of it never did get finished, but the boss techniques still work for the most part even with the additional minions. Only Alma 2 needs some real adjustment.

Damn, I need to play this again.

Yes. Yes you do.

Yeah the one in the courtyard.... but it fires rockets sat me.. ROCKETS!!!!!1111oneone!!

It's done that to me once as well. The trick is to stay in the middle of the courtyard and block - if you go zooming off around the edges in a bid to avoid the gunfire, you'll start getting missiles chucked at you as well. If you block the bullets there's a nice little tune it makes as they deflect off your sword, and Ryu looks like he's dancing.

Kinda.

It's interesting that you found some of it joyless and spiteful, since I've always been having major fun with it even when I wanted to stick my head in a vice and squeeze until my brains popped out. If something's giving you shit, maybe the faq I wrote will help you out in some of the situations. It's for the original, and some of it never did get finished, but the boss techniques still work for the most part even with the additional minions. Only Alma 2 needs some real adjustment.

Your FAQ isn't there anymore. :lol:

I spent an hour doing the first level on Hard just so I could practice my skills against the 12 ninjas in the revolving-wall room and get some essence in preparation for the UF. I can kill them all easily but I'm still finding it difficult to get the timing right for charging Ultimate Techniques. I always seem to get hit with shuriken (usually from the white ninja) when I do this, a problem that gets removed later on since the enemies in Chapter 2 onwards don't have ranged weapons (other than the Black Ninjas of course). Is there some kind of knack to this?

Your FAQ isn't there anymore. :lol:

Ah, it's there. You just can't link to the faqs straight from another site which I suspected might be the case.

As such, I uploaded it here as well. When my old PC broke, I also lost the updated faq and never went back to it. Augh.

About the best way to do UT's is simply to jump out of the way / stomp their heads with the wind run and tap Y as you land. It's not perfectly safe due to their shuriken, but it's the fastest way of doing a UT you have, coupled hopefully with a jump to safety and a stunned opponent. XY > more X's if need be > Landing UT is also handy. Just don't perform the Blade of Nirrti finisher to the air combo if you want the landing UT, and on chapter 1 you'll only have a single additional X attack in the air with a level 1 Dragon Sword anyway.

you got off the menu screen?

I love this post.

• 3 weeks later...

Last year I beat this (on Normal) and remains one of my greatest gaming achievements next to Halo on Legendary. I since got rid of it but bought Ninja Gaiden Black recently because I never got a chance to try those Hurricane packs. Anyway I've been playing this again today on Normal and absolutely love thus game. It's tough, sure, but it's challenging rather than stupidly difficult. I love the graphics, (most of) the levels, the sheer speed of the fighting, and yes, even the bosses (and I normally HATE boss fights). The game is nigh on perfect and right up there with RE4 as the best games I've ever played.

BUT, apart from occasional difficulties with the camera, there is one blemish in this game that keeps reducing the gameplay to a hair pulling, teeth gnashing experience.....the fucking stupid checkpoint system. I've just reached Alma in the church, died, and to fight her again I have to:

1. swim slowly down a passage

2. go up an elevator

3. fight three ninjas

4. unlock a safe

5. upgrade my health

6. get to the alter

7. Cutscene

It's a lesson in patience to have to endure all this again and again. OK, sure, if I was fantastically good at the game and managed to remember what Alma's moves were when I played it a year ago then I'd kill her first time but, jeez Team Ninja, throw me a frickin' bone here! A game should not make me have to turn it off for a while to calm down.

1. swim slowly down a passage

2. go up an elevator

3. fight three ninjas

4. unlock a safe

5. upgrade my health

6. get to the alter

7. Cutscene

Can't you just do the first two, then jump down to the altar? Still a reet pain tho, I agree...

Edit: Sorry, the layout of that section has suddenly returned to me...i'm pretty sure I went back down to save again after the ninjas/safe.

Can't you just do the first two, then jump down to the altar? Still a reet pain tho, I agree...

Edit: Sorry, the layout of that section has suddenly returned to me...i'm pretty sure I went back down to save again after the ninjas/safe.

I hadn't thought to fight the ninjas, unlock the safe, go back and save, return to the room and run past the respawned ninjas. That would have saved me a but of frustration I agree. Anyway, just finished her so onto the next section. I really enjoy the fights, it's just getting to them each time. The worst offender if I recall is when you fight Doku in his spirit form. You have to go through a large maze, fighting baddies and collecting stuff, before you finally arrive at the centre for the big battle......and there isn't a single save point anywhere from the point you enter the maze.

Top game though.

Well, Ninja Gaiden Black has a save statue right outside Doku's Spirit Form inside the labyrinth, so there's no problem there now. The Alma bit isn't that bad for me to be honest, the problem's more that you can't stock up on elixers and the like.

The section in the crypt involving the grail is the only annoyingly long break between save points for me. And Fazz, it's a shame you'll never see the intercept - that was so much fun it was unbelievable. It's arguable that they took it out of black because it could make some opponents too easy, but it's still a hell of a mistake as far as I'm concerned.

I wonder if it's the best game I've ever played because it's a nasty little game or despite it? There's enemies I've dropped the pad at and thought 'oh, you're bloody kidding me' and then had the time of my life ripping into shreds later on. It's all skill, save for the odd camera hiccup. Amd more than that, it's just so damn satisfying.

Now that the Xbox's all but dead I've been frequently tempted to track this down - still not sure about the difficulty but I've heard talk that "it's not hard; rather, you're not playing it right" and that it's more beat 'em uppy and combo-y. Whatever, I'm sure I'll get it sometime. :)

Well, Ninja Gaiden Black has a save statue right outside Doku's Spirit Form inside the labyrinth, so there's no problem there now.

Excellent news! That's the only bit I've been really dreading.

The Alma bit isn't that bad for me to be honest, the problem's more that you can't stock up on elixers and the like.

Oh but you can. After destroying the Boney Boss you go into a large room and walk along a rope bridge. A cutscene follows of a zombie cutting the rope and you and the bridge fall to the bottom. Well, if you don't cross the bridge but instead just jump off then the cutscene never happens and you can return along the bridge (once you've killed the tenticle boss) and stock up on weapons add potions.

The section in the crypt involving the grail is the only annoyingly long break between save points for me. And Fazz, it's a shame you'll never see the intercept - that was so much fun it was unbelievable. It's arguable that they took it out of black because it could make some opponents too easy, but it's still a hell of a mistake as far as I'm concerned.

What is the 'Intercept'?

What is the 'Intercept'?

This.

Alas, that whole bridge thing is an urban legend. You can't go back once you've been swept away by the flood, and even if you step on the bridge and the Zombies smash it down, a wall will appear directly opposite the one you use to climb up to the throne. This means you can get back up regardless, but the point of no return remains.

Also, there's a savepoint right before Dynamo if you know where to look in Chapter 3. Did you spot it?