Ninja Gaiden

Phelan

I was enjoying this until I got up to the fire worm. I can't seem to dodge his fucking rings (fnar) so I havent played it since.

Must try harder.

Equip the bracelet that lets you charge up your Ultimate Techniques in less time. Dodge his first attak (which is his body slam most of the time) and charge up your UT immediately. If you time it right you will slice through his fireball when he shoots those (you have to jump to escape the second one though). Most often he'll do his body slam and hitting him with an UT during those makes him bleed bigtime. It took me about 30 seconds with this technique.

This strategy works great on the dragon boss as well. The only thing you'll have to watch out for is his mouth snap.

Nope, not one of mine. I just got a recorder again, so I'll resume making vids once it comes out. And I can get a loan of a PS3, of course.

As for the Mission Mode, you should be able to select the next difficulty up after completing each challenge. I think. Been a while since I unlocked the difficulties, so I'm not as clear on it as I used to be.

Yup. This seems to be the case, but you can only choose skill levels that have are available in the main game ie you have to unlock Master Ninja mode to be able to select it for a mission. This is not a bad thing as I failed the Military missions on Normal!

Taking on the three worms was amazing though. Well, amazing until the point where two of them (fire worm and one of the electric worms) decided to fire at me at the same time - it's practically impossible to dodge both attacks!

• 2 months later...
The one early on that most people complain about is the one on horseback.

I got the impression that the complaints are usually aimed at the nunchuks guy - and then most of the bosses thereafter too of course ^_^

The problem - as many people see it - is that you can make your way upto the nunchuks guy by buttonbashing/blind luck - but any such attempt with him will get you killed in short-order.

He's there to teach you how to use your environment/abilities of course - and he's easily beaten once you realise this - but there aren't many clues in-game.

This repeats with most bosses - in that there's a specific way to beat them, but finding it is often 'blind luck'.

It's much like Alma - once you know what to do, it's not really that hard - but you learn the hard way with lots of repetition and - often - the chance you've saved at the wrong time and lack health so need to repeat a lot of play or whatever.

I'm almost through this i think,

i'm on a part where you have to fight consecutive bosses starting with the tentacle thing which lubed up rachel then the big ice yeti thing.

From my experiences the emulation (i have NGB) on 360 was only OK, there were some moments (moving up a long street with lights in tairon) where it seemed to turn to treacle. This might have been fixed now though.

The problem - as many people see it - is that you can make your way upto the nunchuks guy by buttonbashing/blind luck - but any such attempt with him will get you killed in short-order.

I dunno. I loved Ninja Gaiden, but I wouldn't say you'll get very far just button bashing - even on the first level you have to be aware of blocking, dodging, positioning and whether or not to use powerful or safe moves. The boss takes everything you've learnt, throws it away, then forces you to use one or two specific moves over and over until you've chipped him down. You can't even block his stuff, lest you get sucked into his unavoidable throw. It's bits like that that dragged the game down for me - at its best, Gaiden makes you feel like you're using skill to beat your enemies, at its worst it drags you out of that mindest and makes you find and use the 'cheap' ways to defeat them.

Why does everyone complain about the first boss? And when they do, are they talking about the guy with the nunchuks you fight 10 minutes into the game?

Because he's hard compared to the rest of the level, which makes me think that the rest of the game will have similarly difficult bosses. Yes.

• 1 month later...

Right, this guy on horseback is pissing me off. I've got up to him with half health, and a full elixir, but I just can't kill him. I'm trying to

kill his entourage then use their souls for more powerful attacks on him. It works per se - but the camera is often facing the wrong way and I have difficult keeping track of all three enemies at once. This makes it infuriating, and if the rest of the bosses are like this, I'm perfectly willing to put this game on my "THIS IS NOT FUN" shelf and never play it again. Is it just a case of "start again, you need more health"? Because if so, that's piss-poor games design.

Right, this guy on horseback is pissing me off. I've got up to him with half health, and a full elixir, but I just can't kill him. I'm trying to

kill his entourage then use their souls for more powerful attacks on him. It works per se - but the camera is often facing the wrong way and I have difficult keeping track of all three enemies at once. This makes it infuriating, and if the rest of the bosses are like this, I'm perfectly willing to put this game on my "THIS IS NOT FUN" shelf and never play it again. Is it just a case of "start again, you need more health"? Because if so, that's piss-poor games design.

Do you know how to do the quick aura collect?

Roll into a jump (holding the defense button on jump), and just before landing, hold triangle for the charge attack. The orbs will collect quicker.

Ho ho ho. Killing that guy without taking a hit is certainly possible. If you need any help at all with anything, give me a yell. I'll assume you've gotten past this guy and his teleporting ninjas, though if you want a soul crushingly detailed explanation on how to rip him in half I'll be happy to post one.

Quick version: Block a lot when you can't see the boss, retaliate after you block any swipes or roll away if he charges into you headfirst. Kill ninjas that teleport into you with XYX. Collect blue orbs if you need them, or use them to power up your UT's in the way Liquid mentioned. If you've time (that is, Maskado's miles away), the bow will kill ninja mages in one shot.

I baet him accidentally. I was concentrating on the drones he was sending and, as a bi-product, he kept getting involved and getting hurt.

The first couple of times I played the game, I killed the mages first and then had to kill the horseback dude with conventional attacks (and no, I didn't think to use the bow because I was being stupid) and it took an age. On subsequent games I used the blue essence of the Mages to UT that boy straight back to Hell and it took less than than half the time.

I guess this makes NGB on Hard and above more interesting, because whilst you have to dodge the additional enemies during boss fights, it means that you can now use their essence to UT the boss (or you could always just charge one up but I doubt that any boss will leave you alone long enough for that to work).

Roll on NG2.

Maskado actually gives you enough time to charge a level one UT so long as you do it the second he rides away. Just, y'know, watch for teleporting mages.

NG 2 footage in a month.

:(

Yah, well, I've still got a way to go. I'm still struggling through Mission Mode on Normal, the military ones in particular - I have enough trouble with the 'fixed' tanks as it is but with soldiers shooting at me I'm failing miserably. Don't even talk to me about the boss run from the Master Ninja competition.

NG2 footage in a month? Woo! :(

This is fun:

Also, www.ninjagaiden.jp is a new site for Sigma.

Hehe, it's a good vid, but saying it's 'for dummies' is a little harsh, considering you're expected to basically learn when/where to use moves/enemies spawn. :o

I love Ninja Gaiden. I want the proper sequel - soon! :(

ok i kind of like it now. I got up to the fifth or so level. some digimon kept attacking me but then i killed htem but then i got attacked by a pile of haemmoroids. I'm a little stuck but I'm sure I can get over it. yeah it's pretty good. I'm in no desperate rush to get black or sigma or 2 or what is the difference anyway .

Sigma is basically a reworking of Black. With nicer graphics and slight tweaks in terms of enemies (The Archives are toned down, apparently) and you get Rachel as a playable character.

She's a tank, though. An imobile, jelly-titted tank.