Vagrant Story

Jairus

I'm re-buying this tommorow, and it's going to be the only game I play over christmas.

Why? Becuase it's awesome. So awesome infact, it shames nearly all squares ps1 titles (and even ps2 titles) in terms of plot and even graphics. I thought the combat system was nigh on perfect too - real time, with chaining. What a great idea.

Everything seemed so epic, so deep - the voice acting was fantastic, the character design sublime (reminded me of what a real final fantasy game should have looked like at the time), the setting with all those beautiful stained glass windows and green rolling vistas, and some of the monsters were truly huge.

There was one scene which really hit home the emotional affect of this game though (spoiler warning)

Flashback sequence. You're sitting having a picnic with your wife and young son, everything seems perfect, the sky is a perfect blue, your wife smiles at you, stands up and takes a walk. You don't notice as you're pacifying your little boy, but you hear a painful scream turn around in shock to see two men driving a sword through your wifes stomach. Everything paces in a monotone slow motion now, your mind is spinning.

I watched that scene and sat in absolute terror. That's the kind of storytelling that grips and immerses you into giving a shit about what you're doing.

If i'm correct in thinking this is one of the highest rated games in Famitsu? They hit the nail on the head there but in the west I think it's generally overlooked, or worse - forgotten. I'd love to see some kind of remake, or even a story in the vs universe on the ps2/psp.

Great, but too hard, and the weapon making section was confusing. It needed a better manual.

Still, fantastic game up to about 50%.

The piggyback guide helped me no end with the understanding of weaponary modification. It also had a really helpful stat guide for all the monsters, and provided a good read on all the character histories.

I think it's wonderful and unique. I love the style of the cutscenes. Very Metal Gear Solid. Look, though... I spent many, many hours on the game, and even used gamefaqs for help, but despite this, I seemed somehow to do about, say, 0 HP damage to EVERYBODY. I had three weapons, each dedicated to two monster types, but fuck me I couldn't get the materials system right and I probably messed up my careful alignment system as well. It seems neat, but... Oh, and the Risk meter pisses me off. I understand why it's there, but it can be so annoying. And usually is. So annoying.

If i'm correct in thinking this is one of the highest rated games in Famitsu? They hit the nail on the head there but in the west I think it's generally overlooked, or worse - forgotten.

iirc it is one of the handful of games to score the full 40 points.

Everything seemed so epic, so deep - the voice acting was fantastic

I dont seem to recall Vagrant Story having any voice acting.

Fantastic game tho, one of my faves of all time. It's a shame so many people give up because they havent understood the weapons systems (it took me 2 goes) and end up doing 2 points to damage and taking half an hour to kill the bosses. If you choose the correct weapons you can wipe the floor with most of the enemies.

I hope for a sequel some day.

I dont seem to recall Vagrant Story having any voice acting.

Fantastic game tho, one of my faves of all time. It's a shame so many people give up because they havent understood the weapons systems (it took me 2 goes) and end up doing 2 points to damage and taking half an hour to kill the bosses. If you choose the correct weapons you can wipe the floor with most of the enemies.

I hope for a sequel some day.

May not have been, it was about 5 years ago - and my memory's terrible. What matters though is the dialogue really shone! ;)

The piggyback guide helped me no end with the understanding of weaponary modification. It also had a really helpful stat guide for all the monsters, and provided a good read on all the character histories.

Me too!

I adored this game.

My local game shop has it for sale, and its one of those games i can't help but pick up and look at. i was so close to buying it again.

Not ANOTHER Vagrant Story thread....I guess I have to add my 2 cents to the party ;)

Fantastic game...absolutely amazing atmosphere, particularly the way it made you feel so alone despite all the background noises and stuff

It is even *shock* making me look forward to Final Fantasy despite the dreadful FFX

In my all-time top 5, and unlikely to ever fall out of it.

The weapon system, much begrudged but actually fantastically deep and yet easy (yes) to get to grips with once you know the basics and apply them. Guides are only necessary if you want to build up the most devastating weapons in the game and the finest armour.

Everything aesthetics-wise in the game is top-notch, really pushing the PS to it's visual limits. I still think it looks great - it has a certain charm and style that never ages in my eyes, like MGS or Super Mario World.

It's the console RPG that pisses on the standard cute stuff and the boy-meets-girl cliches. It just gets down and dirty with one of the most badass heroes ever conceived, and delivers a fascinating twisting story with a great gothic, epic sensation.

The ending is fucking ace though. When i was playing it, i though IGN had lied to me. The plot was completely different to what i was told. Only by the end did i realise, that this was just the beginning (and sadly the end) of the vagrants story :P

Makes even sadder and more poiniant. The ending credits are ace, with sketches of ash going about his business with the epic score playing in the background.

I think ill load up the MP3 and remind my self ;)

I'm not sure why, but I really love the olde english speak. I wish I could speak like that, although it might annoy people.

The soundtrack is fantastic, and the use of sound in general is superb. Armour clinking together as people move, the groans of the undead, the sound of wind, and birds. The atmosphere is top notch.

btw, I prefer the textures unsmoothed. The pixelation helps to break up the edges and give the environments a dirty look. The low-poly nature of the game leaps out at me with the textures smoothed, and any detail is annihilated.

May not have been, it was about 5 years ago - and my memory's terrible. What matters though is the dialogue really shone!  :(

;) ...You doubt me, Hardin?

;) You doubt my power!?

:D ah, classic. But the ending! Good God, Iwantasequel. loved the way the game slowly shifts perspective so by the end, the guys you thought were the baddies at the start are the good guys, and vica versa

I got into this for a bit, but whenever I get to a boss I get killed in about 2 hits and have no weapons that can do any significant damage. Even classic Square tactics of levelling up don't work. I'm stuck on a dragon now, with a stupid maze of fog, where you have to go through the annoying maze and fight baddies to even get to the boss, and then you die in about 2 attacks. For me the combat is so lengthy (at least for me even though I've followed the weapon creation etc), that it breaks up the story so much I can't even remember the plot by the time I get to the next cutscene! Style wise it's superb, especially the intro cutscene.

I just wish I could find an easier way to progress, and not cause about 2 damage to most stuff, even having manufactured some hafl decent weapons. Also the amount of time it takes to do actions and spells really annoys me.