IGNORED

Loading Screens

Holburn

It's my first posting on here so be gentle, but Halo 2 made me wonder if the lack of loading screens between levels makes the game seem shorter...

The "...and relax..." loading screen in Halo made you stretch, make a cuppa or look at the clock and realise it was four in the morning... Halo 2 wants you to keep playing and not notice the time.

Or am I just weird? ;)

Never really noticed that they were not there.

Just wanted to get on with the game.

The thing I love about Halo is you can bits at a time.Saving after a checkpoint which are frequent.

Unlike Metroid Prime which forces me to play it for hours at a time until I can save.Thats ok when I have the day off but not when I just want a quick half hour before work.

Unlike Metroid Prime which forces me to play it for hours at a time until I can save.

Hours of gameplay before you can save ?!!! ;)

I prefer the standard PC "save anywhere" feature. I like to be able to choose where I save games, not wait for bloody check points.

I prefer the standard PC "save anywhere" feature. I like to be able to choose where I save games, not wait for bloody check points.

Maybe hours is an exageration.But you do have to play for at least half an hour just to get to a save point.Sometimes tehse are few and far between and if there is not one close to a boss battle then it can get very frustrating having to play the same bit over and over.

More save points would have been useful.I dont mind backtracking but doing it just to save the bloody thing can get very time consuming.Great game though.

Unlike Metroid Prime which forces me to play it for hours at a time until I can save.

Pfft!

There's save points all over the place. The longest bit without one is the first trip through the Phazon Mines which takes about 30mins tops to get through.

Hours at a time. Just find a save point and use it whenever you want.

Hours of gameplay before you can save ?!!!  ;)

I don't like the PC save system. Sure it's very handy, when you want to make a cup of coffee or watch a tv show, but it takes a lot of the excitement out of the game. Max Payne is the perfect example. Quick save, enter a room in slow motion, shoot some thugs, die. Quick load, repeat.

Checkpoints on the other hand are quite annoying too, especially when you have to backtrack a lot to reach one. (metroid prime anyone?)

But it's getting slightly off topic.

On-topic: I absolutely hate loading screens. They remind me that I'm still playing a game, so I'm really fond of the 'cut scene between levels' structure of halo2. If I want to get a drink, I use the pause button, don't need any loading screen for that.

Edit: sorry for almost copying the post above mine, didn't saw it when replying.

Loading screens are a rubbish idea in comparison to the Halo 2 method in much the same way as a checkpoint system is a rubbish idea in comparison to quicksave.

The current problems with these techniques are not a problem of the games but a problem of the gamers themselves. Loading screens ruin the gameplay experience for many gamers, other may see it as an opportunity for a toilet break and an open demonstration of progress but there's nothing stopping people pausing for the same purpose

Quicksave can be exploited to ruin your own fun of the game but hey, that's your choice. You could turn on invincibility as well if you want.

I can't believe that anyone here was genuinely irked by Halo's loading times. I'll tip my hat to anyone who didn't need a piss on reaching the end of Assault on the Control Room. The first time I played Halo 2 I blitzed (what I thought were) the first three levels. I can remember being a bit disappointed when I realised I'd made it through to the end of level five.

Would loading times have prevented Halo 2's nasty texture popping effect? If so, there's no legitimate reason not to bring them back.

2nd hangar on Halo 2 without autosave = a significant challenge

2nd hangar on Halo 2 with autosave = a pointless doddle

Different games need different approaches. Autosave doesn't suit all games.

Auto-save is why IMO Half-Life/Deus Ex/Doom are no substitute for Halo.

For me (even not wanting to do it at the start as I knew it would ruin the game), once I got about half way through Half-Life I was killing an enemy, saving, going round a corner, dieing, loading, killing, saving, dieing, loading, killing and saving in a constant and un-ending loop.

Feel free to think auto-saving is better, I just find it shit and developers being lazy. Opinions opinions ;)

Feel free to think auto-saving is better, I just find it shit and developers being lazy. Opinions opinions ;)

The obvious solution is to offer quicksave and intelligently spaced checkpoints, then everyone is happy. This is what Half-Life 2 does.

Personally, the quicksave-die-quickload-die-quickload-die monotony is what put me off PC games.

Has there been a PC FPS recently which has just said "Fuck you and your quicksave, we're not including the feature! It's going to be a Halo-style checkpoint system all the way so you can KISS IT." ?

I did Half-Life (original) on the hardest difficulty the first time through but really I should have just done it on an easier setting - would have saved a lot of time. Quicksaving means that no matter how hard a game is made, so long as it's feasible, it can be done without much difficulty.

Halo 2 was a funny one, it felt like I was on level 5, but a look at the level list showed I was actually on level 10.

Although it seems like there is bigger levels but split up more. especially the Cairo levels, that's in 3 parts - isn't it?

Has there been a PC FPS recently which has just said "Fuck you and your quicksave, we're not including the feature! It's going to be a Halo-style checkpoint system all the way so you can KISS IT." ?

I remember Project IGI took a tough stance on this by making you do the whole level in one go, but it was rubbish and everyone hated it.

On the other hand, you had to do a whole level on the original Aliens vs Predator, but that made it good. Fucking nails though.

The obvious solution is to offer quicksave and intelligently spaced checkpoints, then everyone is happy. This is what Half-Life 2 does.

If the option is there I would use it (even though I would try not to for most of the game) and it just stops the flow of the game in my opinion.