Pc Vs Consoles

Rayn

Consoles for ease of use and cost of gaming, but I would like to replace my ageing Dell PIII 550 MHZ PC to try out Far Cry, Half Life 2, Football Manager 2005, Total War Rome and enjoy it with a much bigger display screen. I dislike my 17 inch monitor for gaming.

Consoles is more cost effective. PC problem is if you don't have the right set up, it is a pain to use.

My soundbalster settings got permanently etched into my brain, what ever it was about irq, dma and whatever the other one was, theanswer is 220,5,1

Brilliant. Mine were the same.

The days of EDIT AUTOEXEC.BAT were simple compared to today though.

They say that Longhorn (that's the new windows in a couple of years) will be all put-on-and-play with games, joypad-tastic, auto-patch installing/updating and so on. Combine with Sony et als ever-advancing easy-as-shit-to-use-living-room PC idea, and it's entirely possible that we just won't be having this debate in 5 years time.

Mad as it sounds, consoles themselves may become history.

I can't stand PC gaming, simply because this chair is so horribly uncomfortable, and it's a bitch to set up controls to something that's comfortable and easy to remember.

Can't lying back on a beanbag, with my widescreen 32" telly.

I wouldn't enjoy Half Life 2 simply because of those reasons, I hate sitting a PC playing games.

Nice to see a PC gamer acknowledging this fact.

It's all very well saying "you can get software which..." and "Yeah, but you only need to...". The fact is, that you have to do something. And if that something doesn't appeal to me, then I ain't gonna do it. And even if you do have an interest in doing that something, it can still be a pain in the arse. Or as my PC-evangelising mate put it on the day HL2 was released - "Stupid fucking Valve, take your Steam and shove it up your arse!".

The last time I "owned" a PC was in the Doom era of c:\doom\doom.exe. I can remember setting the soundcard setings for Ultima Underworld 2, actually working out the interrupt settings or whatever it was and manually changing them. I ain't never going back there...

Well, this is the thing. You're taking your entire experience of using PC games for the last decade or more and applying that to the user's experience today. 99.99% of PC games just install and run with no problems these days. When things go wrong, it's simply a case of patching (i.e. following a hyperlink - hardly rocket science).

Did you know that there is a growing number of retirement-age people playing PC games? If they can get to grips with it I have no idea what is confusing some people. We are talking about the functional equivalent of knowing how to change a lightbulb here.

Well, this is the thing. You're taking your entire experience of using PC games for the last decade or more and applying that to the user's experience today. 99.99% of PC games just install and run with no problems these days. When things go wrong, it's simply a case of patching (i.e. following a hyperlink - hardly rocket science).

Did you know that there is a growing number of retirement-age people playing PC games? If they can get to grips with it I have no idea what is confusing some people. We are talking about the functional equivalent of knowing how to change a lightbulb here.

Ah, and just when my faith had been restored in balanced viewpoints, along comes the "It's not rocket science" brigade. ;)

Look, if I could work out how to edit my config.sys and autoexec.bat files, make boot discs and what have you, I'm sure I'm capable of downloading patches etc.

My point is that on balance, and based on what works for my current lifestyle/house layout/whatever, I'd rather not have the hassle, no matter how minor a hassle you perceive it to be.

In fact, the most hassle I want when playing a game is this:

Telly on

Console on

Play

PC gaming is more hassle than that, whichever way you paint it.

Um, the last two games I played were Half-Life 2 and Pirates. HL2 took over two hours to get installed, then kept crashing out and stuttering, while Pirates would just die every time I started it.

It's not just installing patches; it's uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, messing around with configs, editing text files etc. I spent a whole night trying to get Pirates running until I gave up.

I don't think all this is the end of the world, but I do think you've understated the extent of the problem when things don't go as planned.

Um, the last two games I played were Half-Life 2 and Pirates. HL2 took over two hours to get installed, then kept crashing out and stuttering, while Pirates would just die every time I started it.

It's not just installing patches; it's uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, messing around with configs, editing text files etc. I spent a whole night trying to get Pirates running until I gave up.

I don't think all this is the end of the world, but I do think you've understated the extent of the problem when things don't go as planned.

Why I'm not a PC Gamer, in a nutshell.

Not saying you shouldn't enjoy it, but to deny it's foibles is being blinkered.

I change my view of the xbox when it dropped to £159.99 with a free copy of JSRF and Sega GT.

4 weeks later i reverted back to my original view. 12 months later i changed to a view somewhere in the middle. Ie its shit but not as shit as it could have been.

likewise, but i waited till it dropped to £99.99 and the crystal one was re released.

I'm quite enjoying playing with mods and tweaking drivers on my PC, and I never played PC games until about 10 months ago when I first bought a decent one. It's daunting at first, of course, but after a while tweaking your pc is like the technological equivalent of putting a bodykit and big fat spoiler on your vauxhall nova. <_<

I've just given up PC Gaming for good for the following reasons:

I can't have a desktop PC, as I have a toddler who's currently into feeding toast to anything with an openable slot. I keep my xbox and PS2 taped shut when I'm not using them.

Because of point 1, I have a laptop which I've recently come to admit that it's just not up to gaming.

Aside from the forst two points, the cost of upgrading every year has become way over my budget. Mainly due to having a child.

As previously mentioned, console gaming has the advantage of allowing you to recline on a sofa/bed while you play, instead of hunching over a monitor. At this point in my life, the thought of total relaxation while I play (which often leads to a great sleep) is most alluring of an evening.

I did love my PC games since 1997, but now it's time to give it up. At least for a good while. Fortunately, console gaming fits my new needs perfectly. It's also been a particularly good year for xbox imo, which happens to be my first choice.

In fact, the most hassle I want when playing a game is this:

Telly on

Console on

Play

Same here, the last PC game I bought was C&C Red Alert(fab game! :D )

I just cannot be bothered with updating drivers, patches etc. I mean some graphics cards can cost more than the current consoles

(i know that consoles start around £300, apart from the NGC this time, but still)

Consoles are the true Plug n Play

I acknowledge that there can be more variety in gameplay on PC's and that some console games are dumbed down bastardised versions of the PC version Call of Duty anyone?

reading through the posts and noting that it took someone 2hrs to get a game to be ready to play?! <_<

I'll keep to my PS2, GC and Xb and stick to using my pc at home for getting info and online retail therapy...

I play PC far more then consoles. The online aspect, homebrew and retro scenes are mainly whats kept me intrested.

Theres a glut of intresting titles on the PC if you can be bothered to look.

The consoles also suffer from the 'glut of same ole' boring' titles that so many bemoan on the PC, although i'm yet to try Xbox live.

I acknowledge that there can be more variety in gameplay on PC's and that some console games are dumbed down bastardised versions of the PC version Call of Duty anyone?

Sometimes it doesn't hurt to be a dumbed down player. Challenges like NG are fine and well, but sometimes something like Rallisport Challenge 2 or something maybe a little more dumbed would be great for just relaxing.