IGNORED

The Last Big Thing

mwaawm

Is it just my imagination or has the emulation scene gone very quite of late, all we seem to get is minor tweeks to the same old emulators and even these dont come round as often as they used to.

I mean teh first N64 emulator and teh first Jaguar Emulator seemed like amazing breakthroughs at the time, not to mention the updates to the 16bit emulators that just got more and more tantalizingly perfect.

Maybe my perspective is skewed somewhat by the fact last time I upgraded my pc suddenly i had a whole new slew of emulators available to me whereas now I have to sit and patiently await developments.

I think you are probably right, things have quietend down.

That said, it's late in the year, and folks probably have better things to do rather than code emulators. And lest us not forget that many of the emus for the popular systems are more than adequate now, so constant revisions are no longer required.

so, when can we expect a proper decent (reads GDROMS) DC emulator?

No emulator can read GD-ROMs. So, never. The same way you'll never get a laserdisk emulator that works with real laserdisks, or a SNES emulator that works with real carts.

Chankast is very, very good considering the platform it's emulating - it's still being developed, apparently, so things can only get better - hopefully, it'll be open sourced too. Chankast existing is quite a feat.

Consider how poor N64 emulation is even now, and then look at Chanka - it holds up very, very well. Have you seen the compatability list? Damn good work.

It'll be intresting to see how Icarus compares if it ever comes out.

you could have one though, in theory. putting it to practice probably infringes a whole bunch of copyrights and IP but there is nothing really stopping, say, a cart adaptor via. USB or something, being driving by the PC/emulator.

GD-ROM drives come in all shapes and sizes, it wouldn't take much to get one hooked up.

I had a spectrum emulator on the ST that could load games from tape using the parallel port :)

I've still got an adaptor that does the same thing for the PC, for way back when sound cards weren't part of the standard spec ;)

Even better was actually loading some games that weren't part of sites like World of Spectrum and getting them out there! Yarr!

Why bother creating a cart adapter or a GD reader when the roms and iso's are out there? It'd be a waste of money for the modders and a waste of time when an easier way is around.

Last big thing i played was some model 2 stuff like top skater, gun blade ny etc and that ridge racer emu, but thats years old.

I guess surreal 64 on the xbox is pretty recent and has good compatability with loads of titles.

Why bother creating a cart adapter or a GD reader when the roms and iso's are out there? It'd be a waste of money for the modders and a waste of time when an easier way is around.

The point of doing it is in true emulation form, the original is kept intact rather than hacked to pieces to fit onto a CD-R. That said, it ain't really a million miles away from dumping the ROM content of an arcade board. If Sega can hook up GD-ROM specifics to Xbox hardware, it ain't gonna be a major leap doing the same for a regular PC. Hardware aside, it's perfectly feasible.

If Sega were to release a hardware GD-ROM/emulation bundle for historic reasons, I'd jump at the chance of paying for it.

The point of doing it is in true emulation form, the original is kept intact rather than hacked to pieces to fit onto a CD-R.

Well, you can always buy a broadband adapter and rip them yourself. Or buy a Dreamcast development kit and rip the GD-ROM out...

The point of doing it is in true emulation form, the original is kept intact rather than hacked to pieces to fit onto a CD-R. That said, it ain't really a million miles away from dumping the ROM content of an arcade board. If Sega can hook up GD-ROM specifics to Xbox hardware, it ain't gonna be a major leap doing the same for a regular PC. Hardware aside, it's perfectly feasible.

If Sega were to release a hardware GD-ROM/emulation bundle for historic reasons, I'd jump at the chance of paying for it.

Thats all very true, but the coders of the emulators are going to go for the easiest mothod possible, and thats making them as iso files or roms, then again you say you'd buy an official sega kit if they ever made one, well why not just buy a DC? I doubt emus will help out DC games much as it already had great graphics, unlike with older consoles where improved screen res' can help a lot, for example, the n64.