Nintendo Drop D-pad

Chuck the Plant

Interesting.

But I think you're missing the bigger picture here. The D-Pad on controllers is (nowadays) mainly used for extra functions (camera angles, select different weapons/abilities, powermoves etc. etc.) so it definately going to be replaced with something else.

Touch screen? Maybe, but that'll mean looking away from the TV to find the required option as there's no 'edges' to feel.

It's some new configuration. The 'dials' idea mentioned earlier certainly sounds plausable.

Do we find out in May?

Do we find out in May?

Well according to GameCentral it'll be shown at this E3 so, probably, yes. I immediately thought touch screen as well but I guess it could be the more prosaic answer that there just won't be a d-pad and everything else will be the same.

'Comedy' answer: It'll resemble Mario's spanner and Luigi's 'nuts'.

The original prototype for the GC pad did indeed lack a d-pad. The start button was where the d-pad is now, and the handles were a lot longer. I reckon instead of a d-pad, it'll be a touch-thing similar to mousepads on a laptop.

I doubt the A and B button thing is right though.

they need to seriously keep miyamoto away from the revolution controller. He might know how to make games but he's fucking shite at pads (n64 was great). The GC pad is a fucking travesty. At least the n64 pad had a purpose ie mario 64 and was totally awesome with GE007 and many other games, the GC pad on the other hand is confortable but fucking shit at everything.

Sounds like more Nintendo 'Look at us! Look at how fucking original we are!' bullshit to me. Almost like making a console with 2 screens...

Any beat-em-up needs D-Pad, other than DOA.

Yeah, like the analgoue stick and shoulder buttons, what fucking crappy ideas they were, eh?

yes, they innovated with them but IMO the N64 pad was the best they were going to get. All they needed to do was keep the basic design, improve the quality of the components, get rid of the "camera" buttons and just have a 6 button setup, and change the LR buttons into triggers.

The GC pad wasa set in the shittest direction imaginable. They seem to think they shouldnt use their old ideas and need to be different.

Nintendo invented LR buttons, D-pads and analog control (consoles) but IMO thats all you need. You dont need bullshit ouch screen, scratch and sniff, motion, light etc

theyre just gimmicks. Go fuck yourselves nintendo. You're ruining gaming with youre bullshit innovation.

Nintendo invented LR buttons, D-pads and analog control (consoles) but IMO thats all you need. You dont need bullshit ouch screen, scratch and sniff, motion, light etc

theyre just gimmicks. Go fuck yourselves nintendo. You're ruining gaming with youre bullshit innovation.

Playing Feel The Magic or the Super Mario 64 DS minigames should convince you otherwise. They're great fun, which is why we play games, isn't it?

I see: a strange, quater-sphere shaped pad, with two analogue sticks on the front (for each thumb), with the circle curving outwards at the top, and about 8 shoulder buttons (4 for each hand, for each finger). At the sides of the pad, there are dials (to flick through in-game options or whatever).

I hope that made some sense.

well im just being sensationalist but so far they seriously fucked up GC games with their crap button alignment. They managed to come up with the greatest button layout ever and then proceeded to dump it in favour of that awful gc design. Its a sign of things to come IMO.

They are showing signs of "bum up arse" syndrome. Hopefully the revolution pad will be more conventional then the GC pad.

Playing Feel The Magic or the Super Mario 64 DS minigames should convince you otherwise. They're great fun, which is why we play games, isn't it?

i dotn want fucking mini games. I want proper fucking games. Nintendo seem to be obssessed with mini games. I want proper games that make yoshi's island and mario world look dated and shite, but these ancient games show how awful modern nintendo is :ph34r:

i have no problems with GC's button layouts, apart from the z-button maybe. i'm more dissatisfied with the software line up compared with previous generations but looking at the broader picture Nintendo are still more innovative and ace than any of their competitors. it's tough at the top as they say.

well im just being sensationalist but so far they seriously fucked up GC games with their crap button alignment. They managed to come up with the greatest button layout ever and then proceeded to dump it in favour of that awful gc design. Its a sign of things to come IMO.

They are showing signs of "bum up arse" syndrome. Hopefully the revolution pad will be more conventional then the GC pad.

Damn right you are. :ph34r:

they need to seriously keep miyamoto away from the revolution controller. He might know how to make games but he's fucking shite at pads (n64 was great). The GC pad is a fucking travesty. At least the n64 pad had a purpose ie mario 64 and was totally awesome with GE007 and many other games, the GC pad on the other hand is confortable but fucking shit at everything.

Bollocks. The Wavebird is the best controller yet devised.

i have no problems with GC's button layouts, apart from the z-button maybe. i'm more dissatisfied with the software line up compared with previous generations but looking at the broader picture Nintendo are still more innovative and ace than any of their competitors. it's tough at the top as they say.

yes but has the new layout provided any advantages? it hasnt. its made their games shitter. The Z "trigger" just shows how clueless these fuckers are. People wanted the Z trigger NOT a fucking button labelled Z :ph34r:

Bollocks. The Wavebird is the best controller yet devised.

i agree the wave bird is fucking ace!

shame the actual pad is fucking shite!

Rev should have a wireless N64 pad, built in rumble, snes button layout with an additional 2 buttons for a 6 button layout, LR trigers and a D-pad. They need to realise that they had two of the best pads ever, GC pad on the other hand is a pile of shit. They sacrificed functionality for comfort, and then compramised it with the Z trigger and position of the D-pad.

Only a fanboy would disagree, hopefully one day i'll be able to call myself a nintendo zealot again.

yes but has the new layout provided any advantages? it hasnt. its made their games shitter. The Z "trigger" just shows how clueless these fuckers are. People wanted the Z trigger NOT a fucking button labelled Z :ph34r:

What the hell are you on about? The Z-button is a button, the L + R buttons are analogue triggers.

Whats wrong? Aside from your irrational hatred, that is.