First Ds Roms Released

Halo

Interesting. I wonder how they will emulate the touch screen?

I presume you could use your mouse. I'm sure people with Tablet PCs are sorted.

they can't do the touch screen

it's impossible

fully playable DS emulation will never happen, it's just completely impossible

Erm, why exactly is it impossible?

Erm, why exactly is it impossible?

It's not impossible. It just wouldn't work very well. The key to the touch screen is that it eliminates the middleman: There is no controller. You directly interact with the objects on screen and the difference it makes to a game like Zoo Keeper compared to the flash demo (controlled with a mouse), let alone the d-pad dependent PS2 and GBA versions is massive.

By using a mouse, you put the middleman back into the equation, thusly removing the feeling of direct interaction with the screen.

It'll work, but it will seriously compromise the experience.

Mouse != touchscreen. Unless you have a very steady hand, certain things with the touchscreen would be hell with a mouse. Drawing stuff, in particular. And how would you do touchscreen taps? Jumping in Metroid Hunters'd be very difficult.

It's not impossible. It just wouldn't work very well. The key to the touch screen is that it eliminates the middleman: There is no controller. You directly interact with the objects on screen and the difference it makes to a game like Zoo Keeper compared to the flash demo (controlled with a mouse), let alone the d-pad dependent PS2 and GBA versions is massive.

By using a mouse, you put the middleman back into the equation, thusly removing the feeling of direct interaction with the screen.

It'll work, but it will seriously compromise the experience.

Whilst you're right, I doubt tht most people that would download emus and roms would care too much about the middleman.

Mouse != touchscreen. Unless you have a very steady hand, certain things with the touchscreen would be hell with a mouse. Drawing stuff, in particular. And how would you do touchscreen taps? Jumping in Metroid Hunters'd be very difficult.

Erm, clicking? You could also associate button shortcuts to stuff like stylus taps. Either way, it's an intresting development.

Whilst you're right, I doubt tht most people that would download emus and roms would care too much about the middleman.

Hmm, good point. Did you see ROM forums once Mawaru Made In Wario was released? "OMFG THIS DOESN'T WORK THIS SUX". After someone made a patch to let you use the d-pad to "tilt" the game, all you could see was "OMFG THIS IS EASY THIS SUX".

they can't do the touch screen

it's impossible

fully playable DS emulation will never happen, it's just completely impossible

Desktop touchscreens have been readily available for a number of years - you can either buy pre-built monitors, or integrate the kit into your own monitor. We use Elo monitors and panels at work, and they appear to be the best around.

So for DS Emulation (assuming both displays fit one one monitor) you would touch the lower part of the screen as and when required.

Erm, clicking? You could also associate button shortcuts to stuff like stylus taps. Either way, it's an intresting development.

If you'd actually played a DS, you'd realise that what you're saying is pretty much the same as playing Halo 2 in French. With a steering wheel.

The ROM kiddies won't care, but then I can see many people being put off of getting a DS as this demo experience will be in no way comparable to the final product.

On the plus side, if they can make flash cards, I can get myself a DS jukebox system like I do with the GBA flash cart.

Desktop touchscreens have been readily available for a number of years - you can either buy pre-built monitors, or integrate the kit into your own monitor. We use Elo monitors and panels at work, and they appear to be the best around.

So for DS Emulation (assuming both displays fit one one monitor) you would touch the lower part of the screen as and when required.

That's a great idea. Spend £400 on a new monitor to emulate an £80 handheld.

And that's before you consider the fact that the remaining £320 would have bought you 18 games at US RRP.

That's another stumbling block. Just because we have the ROMs, doesn't mean that the encryption will be cracked. Take the CPS-3 arcade board (IE, the Warzard/Jo-Jo/Street Fighter III platform). The Guru (the MAME ROM dumping/cracking master) has given up on ever getting CPS-3 games working, simply because the encryption is far too complex, so just because they are dumped it doesn't mean that emulators will be quickly forthcoming, especially with the current public absense of the development documentation.

That's another stumbling block. Just because we have the ROMs, doesn't mean that the encryption will be cracked. Take the CPS-3 arcade board (IE, the Warzard/Jo-Jo/Street Fighter III platform). The Guru (the MAME ROM dumping/cracking master) has given up on ever getting CPS-3 games working, simply because the encryption is far too complex, so just because they are dumped it doesn't mean that emulators will be quickly forthcoming, especially with the current public absense of the development documentation.

I'm hopeful. It's much, much more likely an emulator will exist when you have something there to reverse engineer.

Also, the CPS3 is kind of related to do with the fact there is only about 5 games on the platform, and the interest in cracking it isn't there - particularly when considering how good the DC ports. Also, many believed that CPS2 wouldn't get decrypted, and while arguably it still hasn't been cracked properly, it has been decrypted and made playable.

I don't think The Guru is much of a programmer or cracker either - he's a PCB dumper.

I'd also like to point out that every other major platform right now is emulated to some degree.

I'm hopeful. It's much, much more likely an emulator will exist when you have something there to reverse engineer.

Also, the CPS3 is kind of related to do with the fact there is only about 5 games on the platform, and the interest in cracking it isn't there - particularly when considering how good the DC ports. Also, many believed that CPS2 wouldn't get decrypted, and while arguably it still hasn't been cracked properly, it has been decrypted and made playable.

I don't think The Guru is much of a programmer or cracker either - he's a PCB dumper.

I'd also like to point out that every other major platform right now is emulated to some degree.

Well I've had a read around and it appears that the Mario 64 release is a fake file and that the Metroid Demo will dump, but is completely "nuked", IE, corrupted. Clearly there is encryption to be cracked, just to get the data off the cards.

So I wouldn't be getting too excited just yet.

Well I've had a read around and it appears that the Mario 64 release is a fake file and that the Metroid Demo will dump, but is completely "nuked", IE, corrupted. Clearly there is encryption to be cracked, just to get the data off the cards.

So I wouldn't be getting too excited just yet.

Yes, I suspected the Mario 64 was a fake (apparently it was only 96mbit which is more than a little suspicious). Didn't know Metroid Demo was a bad dump though.

I don't think nuked is the correct term, since it'll be nuked whether it's real or not since it's a demo.

.:. What a lot of comment on such a pathetic thing as emulation. Get a life and go be ashamed for being such a pathetic bastard .:.

:(

Edit: After rereading this several times, I have decided the reply of choice is "Have a Wank".

That's a great idea. Spend £400 on a new monitor to emulate an £80 handheld.

And that's before you consider the fact that the remaining £320 would have bought you 18 games at US RRP.

of course, if you can appropriate one or two for free from work, you are immune from this kind of trolling. The comment was that the touchscreen was impossible to reproduce, clearly it is not for a number of people

of course, if you can appropriate one or two for free from work, you are immune from this kind of trolling. The comment was that the touchscreen was impossible to reproduce, clearly it is not for a number of people

Trolling?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

And of course, where you mean't to say "number of people", you meant "me", thusly leaving your number of people at a staggering 1.

.:. Did you went to college or something? You must have to come up with such highly educated non-pathetic lines .:.

As opposed to your deep and indepth reasoning as to why I am such a "pathetic bastard" who needs to "get a life". Good job leading the way, sir!

Edit: I also didn't pick up on "went to", or "non-pathetic". Irony, at it's finest.

Trolling?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

And of course, where you mean't to say "number of people", you meant "me", thusly leaving your number of people at a staggering 1.

Hey, that's TWICE now that you've ignored the actual point - well done. But yes, clearly I'm the only person in the World with access to a touchscreen :)