Doom 3 Xbox Latest

tyler

Still nobody has played this with just over two weeks to go? With all of the piracy and connections to the industry some of you have, I am very surprised that NOTHING has been reported yet...

Still hasn't been leaked, so it's fairly to assume there aren't any copies in the public domain as of yet.

I've been playing this today and first impressions are very strong, I'll post some more impressions later but so far it's been amazing. Visuals are up there with Riddick and Chaos Theory, it looks insane, and every room has been an atmospheric nightmarish trip. I haven't played the PC version but this is definitely shaping up to be one of the best Xbox action games. Will post more after I've cleared some more levels. :rolleyes:

im 80 odd percent on the full game, reports to follow tomorrow.

only on standard dsl though so im sure everyone will have it before me though. a mate with a 2mb line already has it and says its sweet.

Vicarious Visions have done an absolutely sterling job with the port I must say. It's absolutely stunning. The game is still a bit poo, but co-op looks like it might be a good laugh on Live - one to pick up when it gets cheap methinks.

Oh and if anyone was wondering, the Doom 1 + 2 ports are single player and splitscreen multiplayer only - no system link or Xbox Live from what I can see which is a shame.

From what I've played, technically at least it seems fine. Runs really smooth, and retains enough detail to make it not look shit. Nicely, they kept the cool little LCD-type displays on all the doors which was a great touch in the PC version, however, they have removed certain sections of the game, in particular the "outside" mini-section of Mars near the beginning. There are also more loading times, although they don't seem as long as the PC version I was running.

As far as ports go, this seems a fine accomplishment. The added multiplayer modes such as Co-op over sytem link and Live, will surely appeal to many and will probably make it an Xbox Live hit.

doom 3s great, just not half life standard. the weapons are sweet, as is attacking brilliant bosses in atmospheric places.

It's came in for to much criticism imo. It's an old fashioned no brainer which was far, far to long. If they had compacted everything down into 8 hours it would have been a much better game. It's no Half-Life 2 or even Far Cry for that matter but it was fun for a few hours.

It's not even Doom standard.

I suppose you could say it's almost exactly like Doom, in that gameplay-wise it hasn't advanced noticeably further than the original (though you CAN look up and down now :().

The problem with Doom 3 - PC version at least - is that it becomes extremely repetitive and there's no tactics involved. It turns from something potentially exciting and scary into one one long, dark, drawn-out technology demo.

Yawnfest :o

btw, I say all this with reluctance as I had very high hopes for Doom 3. But that fact is, it disappointed me some time before Half Life 2 was released :P

It's came in for to much criticism imo. It's an old fashioned no brainer which was far, far to long. If they had compacted everything down into 8 hours it would have been a much better game. It's no Half-Life 2 or even Far Cry for that matter but it was fun for a few hours.

Yeh I can relate to that. If it had been cut short by maybe half, then the novelty factor wouldn't have had the chance to wear out like it did.

I fear iD have lost it when it comes to making games, not engines. They should leave the good stuff to their sister company (?) Raven software* from now on...

* Am I right in thinking they were the chaps whom iD used to farm out their engines to, and with which wrote the Hexen/Heretic series amongst others?

Just acquired Doom 3 on the XBox.

It's the same shitty game that you remember from the PC (various map changes and such aside), but it's quite the most spectacular technical feat I've ever seen on a console. Obviously, it's a lower res than the PC version (full widescreen and progressive scan support, though), but it looks absolutely magnificent and runs at a high framerate. Vicarious Visions have done themselves proud, optimising all of that messy Id code into something that'll work on a 700Mhz console.

I mean, it's quite astoundingly, jaw-droppingly good. I'm very impressed, even if the game is shit.

Might be a bit of fun in online/system link co-op, as these things often are - we'll see.

I dunno, I'm finding it much easier with a lovely joypad instead of mouse/keyboard - and enjoying it more. The levels (between loading) are a lot smaller I notice which is a bit shit but aside from that I say job's a good un. And playing the original on the TV is awesome

The Doom3 multiplayer maps are utter shit. So dont hold your breath regarding the Live aspect.

System link and Live co-op might make that stinker of a game quite fun, as I said. Many lousy games have been made semi-fun by co-op modes. It'll be kinda fun to have one guy shooting and one guy holding the torch and guiding his shots, I reckon.

Now if only the game had decent level design or some AI.

Played some deathmatch over Xlink today. Shit maps = shit multiplayer. No good at all.

It'll be kinda fun to have one guy shooting and one guy holding the torch and guiding his shots, I reckon.

Aye, I also thought Doom3 was abit too dark. It didnt feal like Doom, more

resident evil/silenhill-ish. In that way D3 was abit of a let down. It wasnt the mindless

killing spree that the previous ones were.

But I got to give it some credit, it was scary as hell.

Doom 3 co-op's amazing strategies:

Player 1 Holds Torch

Player 2 Shoots

Player 1 Shoots

Player 2 Holds Torch

And for advanced players:

Player 1 Shoots

Player 2 Shoots

You'll need to fiddle with the contrast on the TV for that last one.

I'm more excited about Ultimate Doom on Live than Doom III myself.

Player 1 Holds Torch

Player 2 Shoots

Player 1 Shoots

Player 2 Holds Torch

And for advanced players:

Player 1 Shoots

Player 2 Shoots

You'll need to fiddle with the contrast on the TV for that last one.

You should post that guide to GameFAQs. I think that's everything covered.

You should post that guide to GameFAQs.  I think that's everything covered.

I can even put in a "DO NOT" section:

Player 1 Holds Torch

Player 2 Holds Torch

Y'know, for the newbs.

Edit- You know, that torch-and-gun-in-the-dark dynamic could actually make those deathmatches more interesting, but I'm not counting on them thinking that far ahead.