And If Nintendo Fail In The Next Generation?

... but they're not doing enough to make sure that they'll be making money in consoles in 5 years time.

That is a totally 'plucked from the sky' comment. Nobody (except those in control at Nintendo) can say what they are and aren't going to bring to the market within the next five years. Each new hardware gen starts from an install base of zero, and it only takes one or two significant launch titles to generate serious sales figures and gain market share. Past generations offer concrete proof that anything can and does happen.

Yeah, 'cus GTA and Halo weren't any FUN were they eh?

Rubbish mainstream trash. For idiots, of course.

You don't WANT to be a "hardcore gamer" - hardcore gamers simply whine about the death of 2D, the purported molestation of their favorite dead franchises, and their inability to discover or enjoy ANY modern gaming simply because the majority of the titles aren't on their console of choice or come stamped with characters from their favorite old-school franchise.

Join the casuals who own PC’s, Xbox’s and PS2’s and play their favorite titles, unconcerned with sales or memorizing all the names of Metal Gear Solid bosses.

Join the casuals who own PC’s, Xbox’s and PS2’s and play their favorite titles, unconcerned with sales or memorizing all the names of Metal Gear Solid bosses.

Can I join the casuals who own PC's, GC's and PS2's?

That is a totally 'plucked from the sky' comment. Nobody (except those in control at Nintendo) can say what they are and aren't going to bring to the market within the next five years. Each new hardware gen starts from an install base of zero, and it only takes one or two significant launch titles to generate serious sales figures and gain market share. Past generations offer concrete proof that anything can and does happen.

No, it really is a lot more complicated than that.

Things like relationships with developers, distributors, retail, strength of your brand, marketing, etc etc etc are all things that need to be considered. It's not just a case of putting out a new mahcine, a couple of deadly games et voila.

Things like relationships with developers, distributors, retail, strength of your brand, marketing, etc etc etc are all things that need to be considered. It's not just a case of putting out a new mahcine, a couple of deadly games et voila.

how is it more complicated? people have been saying the same thing since their N64 days. yet they're still here, still making money. still the leading publisher and handheld manufacturer and still making a profit.

how is it more complicated? people have been saying the same thing since their N64 days. yet they're still here, still making money. still the leading publisher and handheld manufacturer and still making a profit.

And still losing market percentage while development costs increase, which compromises their ability to continue with consoles in the longer term.

I'll think you'll find that a machine releasing with a couple of deadly games will quickly gather developer, publisher and retail attention ;)

Besides, taking either my simple version or your more 'complex' one, you still have absolutely no idea as to what Nintendo are planning over the next five years - which makes your claims about as reliable as me saying that unless MS make $99.93 billion from XBox 2 they will pull out of the market and start making Slush Puppy machines.

Market leadership can, has and will again change hands at some point. Where that point will be though (and indeed who will take over), nobody really knows.

Another issue for the next generation is to get exclusives from big developers. I can imagine that Square Enix probably have a few offers coming through the door ;) .

MS would see that as route 1 to win in Japan wouldn't they? Obviously paying or offering a fair price wouldn't get anywhere but what about offering a ridiculous price? Money seems no object to MS.

Sega and capcom have already offered exclusives to Xbox but nothing like the pulling power of say Final fantasy or Dragon Quest (?).

Equally Nintendo will want to wedge their foot even further into the gap in the door they have created with Square.

My point would be that Nintendo consumers wouldn't migrate if they could get those type of games on one machine.

I'm pretty sure that most Gamecube owners wouldn't have also purchased a PS2 or X-Box if their machine played host to a variety of high quality FPS/Driving/Sports games (and visa versa). Not just 'ports' you understand (although that would also prevent the need to look outside of Nintendo) but their own exclusive stuff.

There's clearly huge gaps in the GC line-up that can only be satiated by purchasing other consoles and the software which comes with them.

The last statement is true only if you are talking about AAA games. I would argue that there is nothing really on PS2 or Xbox to match a lot of Nintendo's line up; it's just that those genres are less popular now days.

It's not really Nintendo. They shouldn't be making GTA clones and the like (unless they buy in some new developers). It's the lack of third parties. I'm sure Nintendo would be quite happy to have GTA on the console, but third parties think it won't sell... and you get a vicious circle. I think if Metroid Prime and Resident Evil had have been a launch games for the GC, things would be somewhat different.

MS would see that as route 1 to win in Japan wouldn't they? Obviously paying or offering a fair price wouldn't get anywhere but what about offering a ridiculous price? Money seems no object to MS.

Hmm, not sure about this, I mean they spent approximately 23 metric fuckloads of money on Rare,and have yet to see a return on the investment, I'd be inclined to think they'll be a little more cautious next time.

I don't think they could buy them and if they did there's always the danger that the real game creators just go elsewhere. I'm talking about buying exclusivity for games. You know - Rockstar, Square Enix. Surely these two companies have been speaking to Sony about this for ages?

I agree with Venice Cull, there is a lack of mainstream appeal on the GameCube even though they've got EA on board. Either they can start developing games that will rival the mainstream appeal of GTA and Halo or they can get more developers on board. I don't see either of these things happening, that's why I questioned the need for another Nintendo console.

I don't think a XB2 or PS3 is any more justified than Revolution at this stage because it's all about the games, it's just that I don't see things changing at Nintendo any time soon when change is definitely needed.

Yeah, so they're making a profit and coming up with successful first-party titles, it's just that their userbase keeps getting smaller with each generation and this will be a problem if it keeps happening.

Yeah, so they're making a profit and coming up with successful first-party titles, it's just that their userbase keeps getting smaller with each generation and this will be a problem if it keeps happening.

Does it? Percentage wise yes, but does it actually get smaller? I thought it was increasing, just not as rapidly as the others.

And still losing market percentage while development costs increase, which compromises their ability to continue with consoles in the longer term.

but the market has increased in size anyway so those kinds of figures are exponential. your speculation on their future does indeed seemed to be 'plucked from the air', as someone else put it.

Is that why third party software publishers are abandoning Nintendo in their droves? And is that why Nintendo have asked "third-party allies" (eg IBM) to design the components for their future hardware?

For an industry "veteran" such as yourself, you really have got very little to contribute to this forum... I've read your posting history and whilst I don't agree with the majority of your views I choose to remain silent because I'd wish to uphold this forum's democratic ideals.

Your posts reek FANBOY!

Yes, because asking a third party to design your components is a sign of a struggling company. That's why Sony are also in bed with IBM for PS3. On that logic we can assume the SNES was a failure cos nintendo got Sony to do the sound chip. You complete and utter moron.

I'll think you'll find that a machine releasing with a couple of deadly games will quickly gather developer, publisher and retail attention :lol:

Just like the Dreamcast!

Oh wait...

The thing is that the insta-success factor of the industry from fifteen years ago simply doesn't hold any more. It used to be the case that back in the day young turk companies could turn up, make a bit of hardware with some great games, and make a killing. Well, that's a bit simplified, but the general idea was that starting from nowhere was viable.

The games business is not so accessible any more, at any level. Now there are many more considerations, the costs are vastly higher, and the whole thing is just so much more ... settled.

but the market has increased in size anyway so those kinds of figures are exponential. your speculation on their future does indeed seemed to be 'plucked from the air', as someone else put it.

No, they aren't exponential. That's the problem.

The games market has been rising for years, but not exponentially. It's a linear rise.

The costs of the games business, on the other hand, have been rising exponentially for years and seem intent on continuing to do so. That squeezes lower-market percentage players a lot more than larger-market players. So while it mught seem easy to sit on your 10 million fans indefinitely, in practise it doesn't work out that way.

Yes, because asking a third party to design your components is a sign of a struggling company. That's why Sony are also in bed with IBM for PS3. On that logic we can assume the SNES was a failure cos nintendo got Sony to do the sound chip. You complete and utter moron.

No... I think you're the moron for not having paid sufficient attention.

I've already addressed the IBM statement in a previous post.

Now get back in line...

Actually, Nintendo are losing money off every GC sold. Not alot but still (think its aroun $20).

August 16, 2004

Nintendo Hardware Losses Revealed

The Japanese newspaper, Kabushiki Shimbun, ran an article that reveals that the new memory media which will be used in Nintendo DS software will cost 30 to 70 percent less than the current Game Boy Advance cartridges.

The newspaper also notes that Nintendo is currently losing ¥20 billion ($180.8m) each year on Nintendo hardware, but that this loss will be reduced by reusing the production plants for next generation hardware.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=4178

Handheld market is bringing in the big bucks for nintendo atm

Actually, Nintendo are losing mony off every GC sold. Not alot but still.

August 16, 2004

The Japanese newspaper, Kabushiki Shimbun, ran an article that reveals that the new memory media which will be used in Nintendo DS software will cost 30 to 70 percent less than the current Game Boy Advance cartridges.

The newspaper also notes that Nintendo is currently losing ¥20 billion ($180.8m) each year on Nintendo hardware, but that this loss will be reduced by reusing the production plants for next generation hardware.

I actually forgot about that...

No, they aren't exponential. That's the problem.

The games market has been rising for years, but not exponentially. It's a linear rise.

The costs of the games business, on the other hand, have been rising exponentially for years and seem intent on continuing to do so. That squeezes lower-market percentage players a lot more than larger-market players. So while it mught seem easy to sit on your 10 million fans indefinitely, in practise it doesn't work out that way.

Some random points for you to pull counterpoints out of your arse to:

1. Nintendo are the most profitable games company in the world.

2. The GC userbase isn't transfered exclusively from the N64 userbase. This notion is patently absurd.

3. Nintendo have sold half as many GCs as N64s (leaving aside for a moment the fact that a large chunk of the N64's final tally was accumulated post Z:MM, when the machine had long been pronounced dead), at the same time as selling comfortably twice as many GBAs as GBCs. ("More Game Boy Advance units have sold in the past two years than the original Game Boy® sold in its first eight years." - May 2004)

4. Nintendo make money on every game sold for their systems. Considering that they've sold over 21m GBAs and ~15m GCs, they're not exactly in a financial position to 'pull a Sega', even if they did (for the first time in decades - aside from the Virtual Boy) start making horrible decisions in their hardware business.

5. The GC fixed many of the (hardware and third-party relations) fuckups that dogged the N64, and yet has ended up selling less (for reasons left up to the reader, but for expedience: poor marketing, no DVD, overcrowded market, late launch, fewer relevant AAAs*). If you assume that it's inevitable that the N5 will continue this trend, what possible reason could there be for assuming that they won't continue the trend of addressing shortcomings? It flies in the face of logic.

6. You said in an earlier thread that publishers regularly spend $10m on marketing individual titles and that all games would soon need to shift 3m units to break even. This is not an area in which I (or anyone sane) would put a great deal of trust in your prescience.

Actually, Nintendo are losing money off every GC sold. Not alot but still (think its aroun $20).

August 16, 2004

I love links which require you to login to view anything. :(

[04/01/05 12:39]

Cube available in UK now for as little as £40... Games reduced to just over a fiver

In what could mark the beginning of the end for Gamecube in the UK, major retailers such as Argos have started to sell the machine for as little as £39.99.

Accessories and software are also being reduced across the board. Index, for instance, have been flogging Mario Kart: Double Dash!! for £9.99, Mario Sunshine for £6.99 and WrestleMania X8 for a mere £5.99, while Woolworths have been selling a selection of titles from the Players Choice range for £6.99.

With both PlayStation 2 and Xbox having had a hugely successful Christmas, thanks to the recent releases of AAA titles like GTA San Andreas and Halo 2, Nintendo half-heartedly countered with a Cube bundle that featured the year-old Mario Kart: for the week-ending 11 December, just over 7000 Gamecubes were sold in the UK, compared to 37,500 for Xbox and 60,500 for PS2.

Luckily, new handheld the DS is at least doing well at present - Nintendo expected to have sold almost three million of the twin-screen devices in the US and Japan by the end of 2004.

http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/news/default.a...bsectionid=1587

:)

Just shows how anti Nintendo you are I guess. Not only did you make a seperate thread for the 'news', but you also felt compelled to post it in here as well, and add a wonderful :) at the end of it.

With every post I see of yours, your twatness level goes up a notch.