Oddworld: Strangers Wrath

squirtle

Woo!

Fired this up again yesterday as I refuse to continue my sojourn into raccoon castle until my component cable arrives for my GC. HURRY UP LIK-SANG!

I'm now up to the bit where you "gotta capture, yo mamma. Huh".

Started to heat up a little bit. I'm actually finding it a little more compulsive than the single player of Halo 2. But it's really hard isn't it? Or have I just approached it wrong?

I love the way you can play hide and seek with the bosses once you've dispatched their minions.

Looks awesome in 44" Prog scan too.

I think I've forgotten about the other shops in the towns though - I haven't done any upgrades yet, so maybe that's why I'm finding it tricky.

Right Im onto Boilz the guy who attacks your town with a big gang.

seriouslly how the fuck am I supposed to do this? Im tottaly stuck

Finish off his minions first. He's a piece of cake after that. Well, dead that is. If you want to get 'em alive you'll have to do your very best! :)

Yeah, you indeed SHOULD be playing this! Awesome game, I know it's my Q1 favourite and it might even be my Xbox GOTY 2005. When I look at the releaselists, I don't think something better will be released this year (for Xbox that is). Playing it for the second time now, trying to get all the bastards alive :)

• 2 weeks later...

WOW WOW WOW

I've just been playing this non-stop since about 6 this evening and its absoloutely amazing.

Been playing a little over the last week and have been enjoying it but havent quite discovered the brilliance of it til tonight.

Xplosives McGee... The whole section was just fantastic, the mine cart, the big open levels, the boss itself, even the walky bits inbetween. I thought I was being spoilt by the little jungley section before you reach New Yolk City which I spent hours in just wandering, then there was that section and now i've just arrived ar the river which is definitely the highlight of the game so far. I refuse to actually continue on cos i'm tired and I really want to appreciate whats coming up but my god i'm just so excited by what i've just seen I had to come and say WOW. 3 times...

Can anyone tell me how far I am through by the way? I've heard its a pretty long game but thinking back it does feel like i've done a hell of a lot...

Superb, thats what I was hoping for :)

The only very minor downside I can think of so far is on the bosses, it's hard to tell what it takes to wear them down. Experimentation with weapon combinations aside, I never know whether I can fire off a web thing and be able to capture them. Sometimes they just seem immune to it...

But anyway, i've only not caught one of the bosses (the farm guy) and thats cos he was such as ass I just wanted to waste him anyway <_<

I wish I had some frieds who enjoyed games as much as I do, I have no-one to show this too who will fully appreciate it :(

Daanos you are a star, and it clear my game is f**ked <_< I'll have to send it back to VG+, and get them to send another. As I'm not seeing the colours, from the screen grab.

Cheers!

How can it be your copy of the game that's fucked? Is it not extremely unlikely verging on impossible? I don't see how a fault in a fabricated disk could result in a pink tinge to everything. Try sticking it in someone elses box. fnar!

Haven't read through the thread but does this keep the Oddworld style and humor?

I put on the first xbox Oddworld last night because i was bored waiting for the Halo 2 posse and i was shocked. I'd bought it ages ago for a fiver but never bothered to even put it in. It's gotta be the first game in a long time to actually make me laugh and it was only the constant mobile calls that made me turn it off and whack in Halo.

So does this game keep the sam quality of humor.

I wanted to resurrect this thread today, as I just finished this last night, but lo and behold! Beaten to it.

Anyway. Pardon my enthusiasm, but I thought this was utterly magic. It felt weirdly like a superhero game; I wasn't invincible, but my abilities gave me the edge over overwhelming numbers. I think the genius touch is how vulnerable you are if you misread a scenario; allow more than a couple of enemies to get a bead on you, and you're pretty much a goner. But if you keep on your toes and use your abilies to the fullest, you can turn any situation to your advantage. And.. (end game spoilers)..

Click For Spoiler

..that final run. Blimey. The open valleys. The snowy battlements. *That* timed dash (better than the warthog run over the Pillar of Autumn?); genuinely stressful, and so satisfying to get through. The final chamber: perhaps the most beautiful bit of eye-candy I've ever seen. And the ending.. wow. Maybe KOTOR II and Halo 2 have jaded me.. but here, finally, an ending that ties up the story and gameworld flawlessly. The Fable of the Naughty Octopus, I reckon; this malevolant little entity that came in, eradicated the noble steefs, and tried to turn the whole valley into his private economy. Maaaarvellous.

Ok well tonight i've got even further through the game, and I presume i'm past the midway mark now. The whole Mongo River section was just phenomenal and anyone who's yet to play the game is in for a real treat.

And... if things carry on as they have so far after the midway mark then this game is just the bestest thing on Xbox. it looks stunning, i've just worked my way through a huuuuge enemy compund, going round docks and up through buildings only to come out at the top and there it is, below me is everything i've just done. Its blowing me away, the scale and beauty of it is unmatched as far as i'm concerned.

Its one of a few games for me thats already garunteed a second play through, and if the little video clips of what to come offer as much action and excitement as they show then its just gonna get better and better too.

I can see why a few have been slightly underwhelmed up to about a 1/3 of the way through, the setting can become quite drab. But not only does the change of scenery REALLY improve the whole game just cranks it up several notches.

Oh and for those who are playing it... Riot Slugs! :P

:):blink::blink: Best game i've played since Halo.

I'm really looking forward to this now but I don't dare scrutinise this thread too closely for fear of unwanted spoilerage. First person shooters live or die depending on how well the controls have been mapped to the joypad, so how does Stranger's Wrath fare? I'm hoping it's more Halo than, say, Timesplitters 2.

I LOVE this game!

Didnt get a chance to go for my session last night, but today is turning out to be just as good. The folks are out, the girlfriend is at work and Stranger just keeps getting better and better...still!

Its so tempting to talk about particular moments but it would spoil so much of it for those who are still waiting to play first time around, you really need to see and experience them for yourself. I have to say this game has so many amazing set pieces, moreso than any game i've played I think. But to say (like I think maybe Edge did) that the game is just a series of set pieces one after another to me sounded like a bad thing, which it really isnt.

Click For Spoiler
I've just done the first section in the snow, where you come to the big fort/temple up Mongo River and have to work your way through and then back out the other side and back into your boat, I thought it was incredible. It was possibly some of the hardest action in the game with Wolvark after Wolvark but I never felt overun, then the boss fight was decent then the run down to the turrets with ships firing on you and enemies running at you, it was just one big adrenaline rush. The section before that where you first get yourt boat was my favourite part so far though, casually cruising along the river, checking out your surroundings in zoom/sniper mode, working out where to start your attack, taking out explosive barrels with a well placed charged Zappfly and sinking the enemy ships... It all felt so nicely done, a kind of steady build up of what was to come next.

Anyway, back to it. Theres not many games i'd consider a second run through before i've finished but this is a definite. :D

Completed this today and enjoyed it from start to finish. Sadly, from start to finish I was expecting it to suddenly snap into overdrive and even after the game returned to the main menu I was still waiting for this "phenomenal" closing portion that Edge mentioned. I feel my expectations after reading various reviews - normally from places that are more realistic with their scoring - was far higher than the game could deliver.

That said, the game does have some great moment. The whole Last Stand chapter was pretty special and the action in the second half is extremely well realised.

Disappointing, but still good.

I know, weird isn't it?

For a game that pretty much came out of nowhere I'm surprised I found it a touch disappointing. My expectations grew rapidly, going from "don't care" to "must own" in the space of a few days and by the time it arrived I was pretty much a full-on Stranger fanboy...yet despite enjoying the game, it wasn't quite what I expected.

Maybe if it had a legendary skill level and cooprative play...now that would be incredible :D

A co-op would be very good actually, one to dish out the punishment and one to kamakaze in and capture.... It would have to be system link with a screen each though, its one game I know I couldnt handle playing split-screen.

Where can I get this art book from again by the way?

Where can I get this art book from again by the way?

http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/oddworld/

I'm glad you're enjoying it and I totally share your enthusiasm, it's one of my all time faves now. I agree that there could be more of an incentive to play through it again and a "Legendary" style setting would be perfect. Live play would be fantastic, can you imagine the firefights in the blazing sun on the shore of the Mongo River :D Let's hope it gets a sequel with plenty of Live options.

I LOVE this game!

Didnt get a chance to go for my session last night, but today is turning out to be just as good. The folks are out, the girlfriend is at work and Stranger just keeps getting better and better...still!

Its so tempting to talk about particular moments but it would spoil so much of it for those who are still waiting to play first time around, you really need to see and experience them for yourself. I have to say this game has so many amazing set pieces, moreso than any game i've played I think. But to say (like I think maybe Edge did) that the game is just a series of set pieces one after another to me sounded like a bad thing, which it really isnt.

Cant work out spoiler tags (still...) so i'll put some spoilers in yellow for those who've played... I've just done the first section in the snow, where you come to the big fort/temple up Mongo River and have to work your way through and then back out the other side and back into your boat, I thought it was incredible. It was possibly some of the hardest action in the game with Wolvark after Wolvark but I never felt overun, then the boss fight was decent then the run down to the turrets with ships firing on you and enemies running at you, it was just one big adrenaline rush. The section before that where you first get yourt boat was my favourite part so far though, casually cruising along the river, checking out your surroundings in zoom/sniper mode, working out where to start your attack, taking out explosive barrels with a well placed charged Zappfly and sinking the enemy ships... It all felt so nicely done, a kind of steady build up of what was to come next.

Anyway, back to it. Theres not many games i'd consider a second run through before i've finished but this is a definite. :D

spoiler tags - no spaces in the []

[spoiler ] text [/spoiler ]

there you go buddie. the end of the word spoiler is connected with no space bar if it helps