IGNORED

The Rllmuk Metal Thread

shirubagan

New Mastodon. Awesomesauce.

Iron Maiden were fantastic on Sunday. The only things to complain about were Where the Wild Wind Blows (totally killed the pace, but they got it back), being stood on the floor gave the best sound but I could see fuck all and Bruces mic was really low in the mix on a couple of songs. No idea why. Anyway, I was more than happy with it all. Also learned a mean ninja parking space at the Arena in Sheffield, so a day of Win all around.

Cool graphic, but for the initiated (read: me) the legend system isn't very good because colours appear different depending on what other colours they're next to.

In the legend, they're surrounded by a lot of white space so I found it hard to work out which bands were which genre. Especially where the browns are greens are a bit similar in tone.

I actually noted how clear the 'Deen Maiden sound was! Certainly better than the gratingly poor razorface attempt at replicating AC/DC's sound that the previous band tried. Where were you stood?

As an aside, dunno if anyone else who was there happened to see the would-be bully get a stern telling off? :lol: A bloke was trying to make his way through with a child I think, and this fat fucker takes offence, turns 'round and shoves them both the fuck away really violently, more than just moshing, it was a proper "fuck off!". A massive telling off by everyone around him later, and the bloke with the kid eyes him and goes "Excuse me sir, may I get past you please?" A meek nod and a shift aside later and we're all laffin'. :lol:

Also, what a setlist! :P

I was in full on 'boozed up for metal' mode at it, managed to pile forward to the front (politely ;) ) and culminated the evening with a crowd surf during the solo of Hallowed be thy Name, was ace! My tshirt was so soaked with sweat afterwards that I had to borrow a gig shirt off a mate to go to the pub afterwards, always the sign of a good one!

I'm loving the new Opeth song, it is spooky and proggy and the wee guitar solo is excellent. Somewhat divided opinions online though :lol:

Yeah, it's fucking ace. I'm hearing shitloads of the jazzier 70s prog bands in there, like King Crimson and Gentle Giant. I believe Steven Wilson's involved again now, which is a Very Good Thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f1nIzdbQJs

Went to see Maiden at the NIA in B'ham yesterday, fucking awesome show.

Airbourne were pretty good, very much AC/DC (no bad thing), they've got some catchy songs and lots of energy. The sound was fucking atrocious at the start of their set, no vocals and stuttering guitars but it was fixed pretty quickly and I didn't notice any more problems for the rest of the show. I've read a couple of things today where people have said they noticed problems with Maiden's sound but it sounded fine to me from the standing area.

Maiden were just amazing. Nice mix of old and new tracks, cool stage set (the Eddie that rose from behind Nicko was awesome, that got huge cheers) and tons of energy from the band as always. Difficult to pick a highlight from the setlist to be honest, all the classics went down a storm and I was glad I got to hear When the Wild Wind Blows live. The only criticism I could offer is when Bruce tried to start a singalong at the end of Number of the Beast, it just didn't work. The crowd didn't know what he wanted us to do, sing the song ourselves or be prompted by him, it was a bit messy, shame. Great gig though, they proved again that they're one of the best live acts in the world.

It always make me smile to see the age range of fans at the gig, from ten year old kids to men and women in their fifties. Bruce announced during the show that they're not retiring yet, but if there's anyone who hasn't seen them live, do yourself a favour... up the Irons!

Yeah, it's fucking ace. I'm hearing shitloads of the jazzier 70s prog bands in there, like King Crimson and Gentle Giant. I believe Steven Wilson's involved again now, which is a Very Good Thing.

<vid>

Wow that is pretty proggy, I like :) Definitely King Crimson and a little bit of Rush influenced that. I can see how the hardcore Opeth fans might not like it.

Wow that is pretty proggy, I like :) Definitely King Crimson and a little bit of Rush influenced that. I can see how the hardcore Opeth fans might not like it.

Whilst I´m happy that the band is continuing to evolve and do new things (from their perspective at least), it´s bittersweet that they´re going places that I´m not particularly interested in. :(

I´ll reserve final judgement until the album is out, but from all accounts it´s clean singing all the way (first person to mention Damnation gets a fucking slap by the way) and I´ve liked the dynamics of death and clean vocals especially in Opeth´s music.

Maiden in Cardiff last night. What can I say? It was the ninth time I've seen them and they still blew my mind. Nothing gets me as hyped up as a Maiden show and I'm on a huge comedown now. We managed to get about three feet from the front. Highlights were (surprisingly) The Wicker Man (the crowd just went absolutely nuts) and Hallowed Be Thy Name.

Went to see Maiden at the NIA in B'ham yesterday, fucking awesome show.

Airbourne were pretty good, very much AC/DC (no bad thing), they've got some catchy songs and lots of energy. The sound was fucking atrocious at the start of their set, no vocals and stuttering guitars but it was fixed pretty quickly and I didn't notice any more problems for the rest of the show. I've read a couple of things today where people have said they noticed problems with Maiden's sound but it sounded fine to me from the standing area.

Maiden were just amazing. Nice mix of old and new tracks, cool stage set (the Eddie that rose from behind Nicko was awesome, that got huge cheers) and tons of energy from the band as always. Difficult to pick a highlight from the setlist to be honest, all the classics went down a storm and I was glad I got to hear When the Wild Wind Blows live. The only criticism I could offer is when Bruce tried to start a singalong at the end of Number of the Beast, it just didn't work. The crowd didn't know what he wanted us to do, sing the song ourselves or be prompted by him, it was a bit messy, shame. Great gig though, they proved again that they're one of the best live acts in the world.

It always make me smile to see the age range of fans at the gig, from ten year old kids to men and women in their fifties. Bruce announced during the show that they're not retiring yet, but if there's anyone who hasn't seen them live, do yourself a favour... up the Irons!

Good stuff, man. I saw them for the first time in Manchester last Thursday, fab show. Crowd wasn't great though, a lot of miserable twats, uurgh.

Whilst I´m happy that the band is continuing to evolve and do new things (from their perspective at least), it´s bittersweet that they´re going places that I´m not particularly interested in. :(

I´ll reserve final judgement until the album is out, but from all accounts it´s clean singing all the way (first person to mention Damnation gets a fucking slap by the way) and I´ve liked the dynamics of death and clean vocals especially in Opeth´s music.

Really? Clean singing all the way? I'm not one to tell bands what they should or shouldn't do, but that's definitely a disappointing thing to hear – it's always been one of my favourite things about Opeth too.

I still think the album will be totally killer, but that's because I love traditional prog rock. To me though, Opeth were always *more* than that.

But yes, the proof will be in the pudding.

Went to the Manchester Maiden show, and out of the 5 times i've seen them it was definately up there (just bested by seeing them in the Brixton Academy). Last time me and the wife went to see them it was the AMOLAD tour and she was bored shitless. They've managed to finely balance old and new this time. Great, great show.

And now for something completely non-metal. I've posted about Cloudkicker before (instrumental djent) but the man behind the project, Ben Sharp, has posted an acoustic track on Soundcloud that is beautiful.

http://soundcloud.com/benjaminsharp/its-inside-me-and-im-inside-it

A download link is posted in the comments as the Soundcloud download limit was hit early on.

Just for balance, here's some punky black metal from Horned Almighty

EDIT: NEW GOJIRA!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBB5W2nQ8Ms