The Rllmuk Metal Thread

shirubagan

I don't know if any of you are planning on adding your top 10 to the other thread, metal doesn't seem well represented there....so I'll post mine here too

01 - Blut Aus Nord - 777 - Cosmosophy

02 - Alcest - Les voyages de l'âme

03 - Sleep - Dopesmoker (2012 Remastered)

04 - Lunar Aurora - Hoagascht

05 - Wodensthrone - Curse

06 - Krallice - Years Past Matter

07 - Horseback - Half Blood

Struggled to find 10...I've found loads of great stuff in 2012 but most of wasn't released this year.

On it's own the Blut Aus Nord album probbaly wouldn't be top but I've put it there as it concludes an absolutely brilliant trilogy of albums.

I'm having the opposite problem. I've had a look at albums from 2012 and I'm going to struggle to keep it down to ten. My main problem is that I've got about five or six albums by bands I really like that I've barely listened to (eg: In Mourning, BtBaM, Enslaved)

Based on the albums listed above, you might like Azoic's debut Gateways. You can download the album for free via the band's FB page: https://www.facebook.com/azoicofficial

Even though I haven't yet heard the new Neurosis or BTBAM, it's Vektor all the way for me. Nothing else has come close.

(yes I know it came out like last November or something but fuck you).

It's being re-released later this month with different artwork (I think they changed labels?) so I'm putting that one on my 2012 AOTY list :hat:

Struggled to find 10...I've found loads of great stuff in 2012 but most of wasn't released this year.

I always try to do two lists. Top ten of the year, and top ten i've listened to for the first time that year. Never end up doing either....

Aside from Vektor, I think the best stuff I've heard this year has been Lord Mantis, Astra and Storm Corrosion and Tenacious D.

Note: not yet heard the new Neurosis, and I've only listened to Enslaved's 'Rita' once before my monthly Spotify allowance ended.

EDIT: Forgot about Wodensthrone and Vision of Disorder, too.

Went to see Cauldron last night in Liverpool. Ridiculous, four bands for £5. It was above a pub, not stage, just shoved in the corner. The sound was really good. Minimal set up but just right. Everything wasn't maxed up to 11 so it was distorted to hell. It was loud but not earplug worthy loud. Good job by the Pilgrim pub. Oh and glass of coke was only £1.10 so didn't get ripped off for that either.

First band up was a bit out of place, I can't remember their name but they said they were gloom punk. Made quite a racket which seemed to get them a free pass by the grumpy metalhead

I've done a tentative best of list. So far its got stuff like Seax, Ragnarok, Cattle DecapItation, Darkspace (heh, they re-recorded the demo, it counts!), Napalm Death etc.

(its in two parts because my cat jumped on the keyboard...)

Second band was Bludvera http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Bludvera/3540343357 They were down a guitarist but they churned out some nice thrash. Bass player was particularly good. Would like to see them in full swing.

Third up stole the show (imo) Ninkharsag http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ninkharsag/3540333264 Excellent thundering black metal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfEeXh_07i4

Cauldron up last, blasted through their set. Didn't play for long but we're good value for the money. Nitebreaker was awesome.

Seems to be a couple of gigs coming up at the Pilgrim worth checking out.

I thought the new Enslaved was cheesy and forgettable.

Is Astra on Spotify?

I don't think so, as they're on Rise Above, who don't do any of that, afaik.

Not sure if it'd be your bag - there's barely a shred of metal in there, it's like a perfectly-pitched three-way between Pink Floyd, prime Yes, and King Crimson. I loves it, me.