Reccomend Me Some Obscure Dreamcast

sandman

can't imagine someone owning a dreamcast without playing the Japanese games, the PAL catalogue is so utterly shoddy apart from shenmue and chuchu rocket

Next time, just write "HAHAHA I'M MORE LEET THAN YOU!". It'll save us all time.

I thought getting that and the twin stick controller was pretty hard these days.

The game is easy to get hold of, as are the TwinSticks for that matter.

I would say that obtaining the game is easier than getting the Twin Sticks --it's not the rarest (or more expensive) of games, especially on the Dreamcast, regardless of what retailers like Play Asia would like you to think. If you have a friend or acquaintance in Japan...

Most places I saw in Japan had the game for a tenner and the sticks (boxed) for 25. It isn't hard to track down, but the problem is that wankers in Blighty might stiff you if you import from them.

Yeah, getting the game is cool, but, like Samba, it needs the peripheral. I imagine that would put people off trying to get this.

The DC is a peripheral machine, it's one of its endearing aspects.

Probably the best boxart ever though:

Cyber_Troopers_Virtual_On_Oratorio_Tangram_jap-front.jpg

Next time, just write "HAHAHA I'M MORE LEET THAN YOU!". It'll save us all time.

its not really about that, i just find it disappointing that some of the greatest gems on the system (basically the games that make it worth buying) never made it over here and the system was just left with a catalogue of either mediocre or just plain shit games.

Well said!

I'd class it as one of the best games for the system. The graphics are lovely, and the music and sound are stunning. That level where you can hear the drill and the kid screaming - pure genuis.

I never actually managed to complete the game, but it still gave me over (if memory serves me correctly) 20 hours of joy.

A quality title that you can usually pick up for under a fiver!

Rob

You didn't finish it? Damn, you have to! Linkster and I have gone into this in nauseating detail in the past but if you get to the end and lose, you get a great ending. In fact, it's about 100 times better than the 'good' ending, which is sadly pretty rubbish...

On reflection, one of my fav games ever, despite (or perhaps due to?) being somewhat formulaic in adhering to a Metroid/Castlevania style template, with a wonderful soundtrack and atmosphere - the music, the ambience and those horrible baby screams and dentist drills....Also, Legion gives a wonderful Bond villain-style speech before the final fight that cements his place as one the acest bad guys around, if only for calling you a 'pillock' for believing 'all that bollocks about ancient prophecies...'.

Acclaim...oh how they broke my heart by making such a dire follow-up.

Acclaim...oh how they broke my heart by making such a dire follow-up.

"gotta shoot these birds"

<POWER OFF>

Actually, although a bit OT, the sequel deserves dubious kudos for having the single worst implementation of a gaming feature I think I have ever seen.

Early on, you're required to negotiate some dark tunnels. Your character is inexplicably flitting between his light and dark self. Literally. ShadowMan has a realtime light attached to his ribs. His alter ego doesn't. So, have the characters switch on you down a tunnel and you are in complete darkness, unable to find your way, so you have to wait until the light comes back on. So bad it's almost poetic.

Sp true - and what the picture dont show is that the cover is inlaid - you know, 3d effect and all that on real heavy weight paper. God I love VOOT and my VOOT sticks.

The great thing about it is that it's just a sketch, it was meant to be the outline for a CG piece. Katoki's artwork was so l33t however that they went and used it as a cover. Really shows off the artistic flair of the title too.

Has anybody mentioned Extreme Games or The Nomad Soul yet?

I really enjoyed the first which was a fairly original take on extreme sporting events and invloved using various modes of transport during a single race so you would start off hangliding and then you'rd go straight into mountainbiking followed by a quick sprint on a quad bike down a freeway.

The levels were absolutely huge and the draw distance was (and still is) incredible despite the often strange looking way in which the landscape warped itself.

Worth a look especially if you've got a friend to challenge.

Nomad Soul was a straight port of the pc game and was one of the most original and interesting games that I'd ever played at the time. The first game to give me that 'I'm actually living in this world' feeling.

i really enjoy these jap imports:

Tokyo Bus Guide

this is one cool game. alright, it's no Crazy Taxi, you must obey the rules. but it is still good fun. a truly unique game, really relaxing. i wonder if the naomi arcade was as hard as this one?

Sega Tetris

the naomi game, not the crappy other Tetris 4D and what they are called. it has monkeys and sunny beaches - pure Sega, 'nuff said, get this one. but beware, it get's REALLY hard quick. i'm sure there's an option to set the difficulty level to novice, but i suck reading japanese..

Ikaruga

for obvious reasons. a classic shmup already.

Psyvariar 2 - The Will To Fabricate

get the best looking, most authentic port of Psyvariar 2.

Cosmic Smash

a hybrid breakout/virtua tennis game in Rez-style. very very good and very stylish.

Jet Coaster Dreams 2

the jap only sequel to Coaster Works. this is far far better. once you get into this, you can't stop making those roller coaster rides. the sicker the riders get, the more points you get. if they throw up, you are doing good. you can also make a whole park full of attractions, and run it to make money and so on. be sure to download the faq for that though.

When you say Obscure, just how obscure do you mean?

I would recomend F355 Challenge Passione Rossa, its a beautiful realistic driving game, lots of people didnt get it...but im not sure thats obscure enough for you?

Bangai-o also, a very very good 2D shooter, also very different and odd...also pretty obscure.

But then if your just asking about Japanese or US games that didnt actually make it over here I cant really help you, I never got into importing on my DC.

When you say Obscure, just how obscure do you mean?

I would recomend F355 Challenge Passione Rossa, its a beautiful realistic driving game, lots of people didnt get it...but im not sure thats obscure enough for you?

Bangai-o also, a very very good 2D shooter, also very different and odd...also pretty obscure.

But then if your just asking about Japanese or US games that didnt actually make it over here I cant really help you, I never got into importing on my DC.

I'm after PAL stuff (or import stuff I can play with freeloader disk) that wasn't hyped up, you know NOT on the cover of DCUK or soemthing.

Nomad Soul, Le Mans 24 are just a few of the examples I've picked up from readinf the forum over last few days.

I second Cool Cool Toon.

Just when you think it can't get any harder, the next level makes you literally laugh in disbelief and turn off your DC in horror ......

;)

..... only to come back to it again 20 minutes later because it's such good fun.

:D

None of my mates could hack Cool Cool Toon, but I loved it.