Text Adventure

Hello Goaty ♥

attack dog with axe?

No that's too simple. It always had to be obscure and a slightly roundabout way of doing things.

I'm still haunted by the fact I couldn't finish "Castle of Terror" because whenever you tried to stab the count with the wooden stake he turned into a bat and flew out of the window. That really pisses me off.

There was a GREAT programming Adventures for the ZX Spectrum book that was actually in my primary school library. Oh, how I longed for 'reading time'. Such dreams of creating an adventure of my own.

Dreams halted.

> FOR...NEXT LOOP NOT FOUND

FOR...NEXT LOOP NOT FOUND

Ah sod it.

Mike Gerrard's YS adventure columns were RALUCAT-ECA too.

If you want a text adventure starring yours' truly I suggest:

http://www.feelies.org/game.php?id=36

(Screenshot!)

Oh, alright, you can have it for free!

http://www.joltcountry.com/chix/

(I strongly suggest downloading the trailer for Fallacy of Dawn. It is funny. Very funny.)

"Interactive Fiction" is what is alive and well today. They tend to be more story-based, and with excellent, well, gimmicks I suppose. Each game is a DS in that way; play a game during which at any point you can carry on a lucid conversation with an angel. Play a game in which you are talking to a sentient statue, a game you can "win" at any time by leaving, but with a very different understanding of what just happened.

I know I've given you guys a lot to look at, but I think that the following is something everyone should play, atleast once. It takes 10-20 minutes to play through, depending on whether or not you've played a "Text Adventure" before.

photo-name.gif

Download this for an orgasm-like experience.

It's one of the most touching pieces of art I've ever experienced. It's only 10 minutes of your life, and you deserve it. Some people have cried, some people have smiled. It's an experience you should have.

Why not scan down here to "Photopia" to see what other people have said?

The games I've offered up here are all games which use the "Talk to person" command system, first brought about in Photopia. The games I mention above, the lucid conversation ones, are based on that classic "Say anything you like" model.

You should also try out Shrapnel if you're used to the IF format; it's another amazing piece of art, but more creepy and weird in its interactions with you than Photopia's beautiful communication.

Hmm, there's a whole raft of Spectrum books (including those focussed on adventure programming) here but not the one I had: Mine was a white hardback - if only I could remember the publisher.

INPUT was also good for inciting passion for creating a game. But that's been covered on this forum elsewhere.

Did anyone ever get PAW (Professional Adventure Writer), or of that ilk, for the Spectrum.

(Graphic adventures themselves seem to be dying a death on the mainstream, never mind text adventures - with corresponding pretty pictures that take a day to paint on-screen (oh, how quaint).

hmm - why hasn't someone jumped on text adventures for mobile phones, or indeed the Crackberry. People who grew up on 8 bit text adventures would surely be willing to pay-to-play through a text adventure on their phone.

Or indeed one of those Crusty fighting fantasy stories. They are tailor made for wap or txt play. Well, providing you have 1000 free text messages a month!

hmm - why hasn't someone jumped on text adventures for mobile phones, or indeed the Crackberry. People who grew up on 8 bit text adventures would surely be willing to pay-to-play through a text adventure on their phone.

Or indeed one of those Crusty fighting fantasy stories. They are tailor made for wap or txt play. Well, providing you have 1000 free text messages a month!

I signed some of my stuff over to a company a few years ago that were pushing the interactive fiction over phone stuff. They went bust at some point.

It's very inconvenient reading any great amount of text on a phone, and entering in your commands is tedious. They had a "neat" system that could do a reverse lookup on the game's applicable verbs and nouns in any scene and thereby produce a list of multiple choice actions in any scene. This led to spoilers and (in the case of my Aisle) defeating the point somewhat, but was an admirable effort.

Maybe when they bring out the PSP keyboard...

I signed some of my stuff over to a company a few years ago that were pushing the interactive fiction over phone stuff. They went bust at some point.

It's very inconvenient reading any great amount of text on a phone, and entering in your commands is tedious. They had a "neat" system that could do a reverse lookup on the game's applicable verbs and nouns in any scene and thereby produce a list of multiple choice actions in any scene. This led to spoilers and (in the case of my Aisle) defeating the point somewhat, but was an admirable effort.

Maybe when they bring out the PSP keyboard...

well I was thinking more along the lines of using the Blackberry, or perhaps txting commands to keep it simple.

>wlk nrth, shg mnky, kll drgn

you can have quite large text files used in some of the java applications on the Nokia series 40 phones. But I understand that the restrictions of SMS would limit the descriptions, and probably the immersion. oh well. Maybe something like the Pocket PC is better suited to txt adventures.

Is there a generic command to get a list of directions you can move in?

e.g. in Photopia

Click For Spoiler
When you start the red planet bit, you have no idea which directions you can go in. I randomly went north a few times and ended up at the place you had to find in order to finish this scenario.

Not knowing where you can go is one of the most annoying things about text adventures, unless the scene descriptions themselves tell you.

Is there a generic command to get a list of directions you can move in?

e.g. in Photopia

Click For Spoiler
When you start the red planet bit, you have no idea which directions you can go in. I randomly went north a few times and ended up at the place you had to find in order to finish this scenario.

Not knowing where you can go is one of the most annoying things about text adventures, unless the scene descriptions themselves tell you.

It's actually written for your memmory -- walk in random directions & you'll discover the thing you need. Just try and remember where you came from -- all you have to do is retrace your steps.

I used to write text adventures in, like, fucking Logo or something on our old Amstrad PCW. They were always brilliant but I never finished making one because the stupid thing would always run out of memory.

> RECYCLE NODES

We could totally make a text adventure between us. Let's do that.

For all you cocks ( :( ) dissing my Graphics and Text option, remember the Hobbit?

I think one of the 'cocks' you're insulting actually wrote a critically well received text adventure...

It's dark, you're in a cold place, your left foot is like a block of ice. Your rather voluminous mouth is probably the only warm place left in this cruel, cruel world.

What next?>