Recommend Me Some Amiga Games!

George Clooney

I've recently "received" a mostly complete (I think) set of amiga games. However, it's a lot of games to sort through, and it's been that long since I played on an amiga that I've forgotten a lot of the classics. Except of course stuff like It came from the desert, SWOS, Alien Breed, and the monkey island games. So can anyone recommend some more really good ones?

Stuff I used to love:

Apidya - gradius rip off with a wasp for a ship and some really mental end of level bosses (like a dead rat with giant maggots coming out of it and a trout...!)

Overkill - very intense A1200/4000 only defender clone with lots of cool scrolling effects.

Silkworm - I always preferred it to SWIV, great horizontal shooter.

Gravity Force 2 / Gravity Power - great 2 player Thrust / Oids style combat game.

Megalomania - very basic but compelling strategy game from Sensible Software with some really nice graphics and speech samples.

Some of the more unusual ones I really enjoyed playing on the Amiga were Darkseed and Dreamweb, both really interesting. Darkseed was based on the work of H.R. Giger and was a cool point 'n' click. Dreamweb was sort of a top-down puzzle adventure type game, with a lot of violence. Really neat. Both had flaws but both were serious fun - IMO of course :rolleyes:

I think everyone should play Beneath a Steel Sky at least once, too. That's a fairly obvious classic but the amount of people who've actually played it seems low...

I think everyone should play Beneath a Steel Sky at least once, too. That's a fairly obvious classic but the amount of people who've actually played it seems low...

The PC version is abandonware now, which I'm sure everyone knows about.

Having said that, i've not played it myself....and I adore point & clicks.

Aye. I'd certainly vote for James Pond. The high score music and the music on the even numbered levels are fantastic.

It's a slower affair than its sequel, Robocod, but graphics look a lot more polished.

Beneath a Steel Sky is stunning. Try and dig the CD32 version out if you can. The voice acting is first rate, and is the only point and click I have ever completed.

If you're into point and clicks you may want to try Simon The Sorcerer. The ingame music is ace, and the graphics are lovely. Amiga Power gave it a real slating, but I'm not sure why. The humour is very English too.

No one seems to have mentioned the legendary IK+. It only takes up 400-odd K of disk space, but is fantastic. Lovely cartoony graphics, top quality sound effects, and a cracking sound track. If you like 2D beat-em-ups it doesn't get much better than this.

Rob

Unreal - 3d shump (think Panzer Dragoon) with 2D platform/shump sections

Starglider 2 - Second only 2 elite IMO as most enjoyable 3D space shooting romp ever.

Uridium 2 - stilll a lovely little hori shump with ace graphics

Midwinter - a lovely 3D adventure game in its day

Hunter - 3PS/adventure game

Speedball 2

Super Stardust

Hired Guns

Super Skidmarks

Superfrog

Turrican 1 & 2

Rainbow Islands

Rodland

D/Generation

Gauntlet 2

And another vote for Gravity Power!

I have very fond memories of the Amiga at its peak, and I still play on my machine fairly regularly. I don't know what model of Amiga you have, but you need an Amiga 1200 or 4000 for some of the games above.

Rock and Roll - really cool maze rollaround game. Ace music.

Millenium 2.2 - One of the few strategy games that completely captivated me.

Deuteros - sequel to above. Much larger in scope.

Damocles - Loved just existing in this game for hours on end.

Tower of Babel - A bit of brain scratching, but the best bit is creating your own towers.

Pinball Dreams/Fantasies/Illusions - Still the very best videogame pinball games I've ever played.

Superfrog - Mix of Mario and Song with added Lucozade product placement.

Fire and Ice - Interesting title with some nice play mechanics.

Nah, they're just console wannabes with little merit. Might as well emulate the Super NES or Megadrive in that case and play the real things. Track down and play some Amiga-specific games intead. :)

Max respect to Sabreman for mentioning Rock N Roll, I thought that I was the only person to remember that smart little game!

From this thread, D/Generation, Speedball 2, Uridium 2, and Beneath A Steel Sky are sound recommendations. Also, Hunter is worth a try - you couldn't imagine Grand Theft Auto 3 existing without it. Oh, and Virocop and Paradroid 90 are well worth trying.

Just typed out Amiga Power's final 'All Time Top 100' from their penultimate issue in 1996. I don't agree with some of the choices, but it should give you a rough guide. (Personally, I'd advise checking out Legends, Yo Joe, Gem'X, Wizkid, Zeewolf 1&2 and Super Leage Manager. The latter is the only 'fun' football management game ever.)

100) Base Jumpers

99) Tankkk (PD)

98) Kill The Prez (fictional game)

97) Bob's Bad Day

96) The New Zealand Story

95) Second Samurai

94) F-29 Retaliator

93) Projectyle

92) Bubble And Squeak (A500 version)

91) Elite Plus

90) R-Type 2

89) Premier Manager 3

88) Apidya

87) Virus

86) Desert Strike

85) Switchblade 2

84) Beneath A Steel Sky

83) Llamatron

82) World Class Rugby

81) Arcade Pool

80) Soccer Kid

79) SWIV

78) Klax

77) Laser Squad

76) Pac Mania

75) Lamborghini America Challenge (aka Crazy Cars 3?)

74) Boston Bomb Club

73) Hunter

72) Harlequin

71) Theme Park AGA

70) Bloodnet

69) Total Football

68) Fly Harder (Amiga 500)

67) Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge

66) F1 (Domark)

65) IK+

64) Railroad Tycoon

63) Blob

62) Legends (Guildhall)

61) Liberation Captive 2

60) Super Obliteration

59) Kid Gloves

58) Mercenary

57) War In The Gulf

56) Carrier Command

55) E-Motion

54) Lemmings 2

53) Flashback

52) K240

51) The Blues Brothers

50) Yo! Joe!

49) Walker

48) Super Hang-On

47) Defender (PD)

46) Gem'X

45) Super League Manager

44) Roadkill CD32

43) Asteroids (PD)

42) Sabre Team A1200

41) Gunship 2000

40) D/Generation

39) Banshee

38) Tetris Pro (PD)

37) No Second Prize

36) Empire Soccer

35) Car-Vup

34) Super Foul Egg

33) Sim City

32) Head Over Heels

31) Wizkid

30) Overkill

29) Stunt Car Racer

28) Jetstrike CD32

27) F1GP

26) Super Stardust

25) The Settlers

24) Super Skidmarks

23) Pinball Illusions

22) Super Tennis Champs

21) Dune 2

20) Shadow Fighter

19) Secret of Monkey Island and Secret of Monkey Island 2

18) Gloom

17) Zeewolf 2

16) Rodland

15) Rainbow Islands

14) Micro Machines

13) Slam Tilt

12) Alien Breed 3D

11) The Chaos Engine

10) Knights Of The Sky

9) Speedball 2

:ph34r: Exile

7) Syndicate

6) Cannon Fodder

5) Dyna Blaster

4) Colonization

3) Guardian

2) Gravity Power

1) Sensible World of Soccer

amiga power's list was a fucking joke..

no it came from the desert?

no north & south?

Amiga Power did a Top 100 once every year, and the Top 100 listed above just happened to be the final one that they did before the magazine came to an end. So I don't think you could really look at it now as a valid representation of the best that the Amiga has to offer. Some games have certainly stood the test of time better than others!

Top marks to Puzzle Rattrap for typing the list out though!

Played a demo I got free with a mag once that was a 3D shooter, where you were inside a computer. The floor and ceiling were a checkboard pattern, and you could fly through the dark ones into another section of the 'level'. Anyone know what it was?

Also, anyone know if WinUAEX plays F-29 Retaliator, and does it fix the framerate? In fact, does this emu fix framerates on all the affected games? That'd be tops ;)

Edit: just realised, it'd be a bit friggin useless without a keyboard being supported :P

Played a demo I got free with a mag once that was a 3D shooter, where you were inside a computer. The floor and ceiling were a checkboard pattern, and you could fly through the dark ones into another section of the 'level'. Anyone know what it was?

Interphase, and I would put it in a list of great Amiga games, for sure.

You had to make the way safe for your human counterpart in the real world by disabling security systems inside the computer network. Really good stuff.

Well I recently purchased an A1200 with accelerator ... big hd (for the Amiga anyway)

And now due to WHDLOAD whoich installs to HD I am buying a whole load of Original games in boxes... mainly cos WHDLOAD doesn't work with cracked ADF 's

... so I am due a long long trip donw memory lane.. i may never switch on my Xbox/PS2/GC again ;)

So far my main game i have fallen in love with again is Wizkid.. pure genius with a huge surrealistic twist :P

Others that I recall as worcking ym boat...

All Sensible games... but epsesh Cannon Fodder and Sensi (original)

Speedball 2

HArlequin... frustrating but cool platformer

Putty.... Seriously does noone have a copy of Putty Squad!!!!

Eye of the Beholder

LEgends of Valour ( i think only I liked this one)

EPIC (yes I know it's shite but I like it :o)

Frontier (altho Elite was better on my old C64)

Paradroid 90

Uridium 2

Rainbow Islands (BRaybrook may not have been as good on Amiga but he did still rock)

Chaos Engine

Lemmings.... of course althought Lemmings 2 was bobbins

Another World and Flashback

I could go on all night... just waiting for all these to appear cheap on Ebay so I can snap em up ;)

So far I got Wizkid for 99p and Epic for 99p :)

Interphase, and I would put it in a list of great Amiga games, for sure.

You had to make the way safe for your human counterpart in the real world by disabling security systems inside the computer network. Really good stuff.

Cheers man. Only ever played a demo, as I say, but it was aces high. I remember I fired about 3 missiles after the (seemingly unhittable) inverted-triangle-sentinel-type-thing, and they chased it round the level like Benny Fucking Hill. Until I got in front of it - about 5 feet away in real terms - and fired my last missile, destroying it. Pwned!

What kind of jiggery and, indeed, pokery did he get up to to make that work, and how the frig can it address that much space? ;)

Also, anyone here know about overclocking or accelerators for the Amiga 500? I feel a project coming on! :P

Not sure it actually can, think it caps at 2GB or so... but it's enough space to have just about every game ever on there, as well as a shitload of apps. He's jiggered it up the wazoo with some later-developed PC apps for Amigas as well so everything runs, even the games that didn't when the A1200 came out. Kind of a one-off though, not sure if Yod@ would do that again (a lot of effort :P) unless you shoved huge sums of cash in his face ;)

I also bought an RGB SCART lead and the picture quality is astonishing. If you haven't got one I honestly recommend you buy one - I could grab the ebay link of the German bloke selling them if you want.

Edit: I ought to make a game recommendation while I'm here: Space Hulk! Amiga version was best, clearly. So claustrophobic and tense.

Argh, my minigun's jammed, fuck fuck, nooo!

My A1200 has a 3.1 gig hd and it can see all of it...

I have heard of A1200's with huge 80gig hd's etc installed but those are in towers etc... although I think that'd be big enuff to hold all Amiga software ever released ;)

Mine doesnt seem to have anything odd installed....

it does now of course :P

A pcmcia network adapter ... Miami and Gui-Ftp to allow it download files from PC... (still can't get it to see internet yet :o)

And now... Black Crypt... Superfrog , Wizkid and Zool on the HD courtesy of WHDLOAD...

Many many more to follow :)

So much better than Xbox emu ;)