IGNORED

Documentaries

gravity0

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Goose said:

If you're interested in 80s nasties, there's a new doc out called Omega Rising: Remembering Joe D'Amato

NSFW trailer

Yeah,  this looks great and makes the Beyond The Darkness blu ray essential rather than just very necessary.. 

88 have a Fulci doc for the imminent release of Aenigma too. 

I watched the Brian De Palma documentary last night. This flipped the usual documentary format. Instead of having multiple talking heads talking to camera it was only De Palma talking to the camera for 90 minutes. The interview is mixed in with clips from his films.

This was absolutely fantastic. De Palma is a really interesting guy and the stories he told about his career and the films he made were fascinating. Having just one person talking made for a really intimate film and you felt like the guy could talk for days. The anecdotes involving Oliver Stone, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg and many other heroes from the last golden age of Hollywood were wonderful. I'd forgotton how many great (and terrible) films he'd made.

Essential viewing for any film fans. I'd love to see more documentaries like this, with just the subject talking to camera.  

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1683048/

I've spent much of the weekend watching the first six hours (!) of OJ Simpson: Made in America and it's excellent. Between that and the Stuxnet documentary, the BBC have been buying in some great stuff for their Storyville strand recently.

I watched Tickled tonight, went in totally blind. And I'm glad I did.

Spoiler

It was as shocking as it was sad. The hosts sub-Louis Theroux schtick got a bit tiring after a while but the story was fascinating. I felt it was drifting towards fetish-shaming at times but never crossed that line.

It probably could have been 30 minutes shorter and some of the sub-plots removed but I'd still totally recommend it.

I've just watched the first part of OJ Made In America (from iplayer) - its very long and very thorough but really like how they are threading his story in with the wider period and relevent events of the times

3 hours or so down, about 5-6 to go !

Storyville on BBC 4 iplayer has an interesting murder documentary called killing for love.

What's more, they have the much vaunted Staircase series on iplayer just now - titled 'Death on the Staircase' under the Storyville banner. 

Some great Storyville stuff on iPlayer at the moment - I'm almost through the OJ one now, just 40m to go. Its fantastic and the time feels very well used, its long but feels the right length. I often find with docs that they feel like a 45m tv show spun out to over 90m plus because the director wanted to make a film, not because the material justifies it, in this case the 8h runtime feels wholly appropriate

Did see on iPlayer the Storyville for Russia's toughest jail, recall watching that a couple of years back and its fantastic/horrific

• 2 weeks later...

Two episodes left of Death on the Staircase and it's fascinating. This sort of thing is right up my street. I've even got my wife hooked and she rarely enjoys the same things I do on telly. I love a bit of real life court case action. I'm sure someone commented in here about there being an update released in 2013? I came to thank them as I didn't realise that, but cannot find the comment now. Whoever it was, thanks :) I'll have to track down The Staircase II from 2013 as it doesn't seem to be in iplayer.

I've watched Making a Murderer, Thin Blue Line, Paradise Lost (all three), Dear Zachary, and The Jinx. Unfortunately I missed the O.J one before iPlayer removed it. Are there any other crime ones worth checking out after we've finished Staircase? Thanks.

7 hours ago, Yoshimax said:

I've got Paradox installed. Gives access to all the main sources but primarily Exodus/SALTS etc the usual suspects.

Download Terrarium TV from the app store and then get back to me with how Kodi is.

I moved from Kodi > Terrarium SO FAST

On 25/03/2017 at 10:47, Gotters said:

it would be quite helpful in this thread if folks could mention where they have watched stuff (i.e. iplayer, sky, netflix, amazon etc) and any region specific stuff.

thanks

I just hunted down Bus 174 for @GODZOOKI subtitled you can stream it with subtitles in two parts here:

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 07:40, Mentazm said:

Staircase is fantastic. Evil bastard.

Hah, I watched the Staircase documentary a few years ago, plus the update doc which I think I posted about, and I still think he's innocent. Psychotic owl FTW.

Not strictly a documentary, but I've one episode to go with the "People vs OJ" docudrama which is on Netflix. It's already annoyed me with some of the inaccuracies vs what actually happened (why do docudramas do this? Really gets my goat). I shall likely watch the OJ: Made in America series straight afterwards (where are people getting this? Shows as unavailable on iPlayer for me).

• 3 weeks later...

found (and watched) all 3 parts of Adam Curtis' The Power of Nightmares last night, its utterly brilliant and I missed it when it came out. I have watched Bitter Lake and Hypernormalisation when released but never got round to his back catalog, which all appears to be up on Youtube (but not officially via player or to even buy on Amazon)

I love how he lays out the chronology of events back to the 1950s, it just fills in your world view so well if you aren't aware of what came before Al Qaeda, and how the whole thing came about.

for a documentary made back in 2004 many of the points he raises and observes are still scarily prescient in modern day politics, even 13 years on.