Kinda want to watch this, partly interested because I've been on two cruises in my lifetime and both with Princess but at the same time am worried this will put me off cruises for life :unsure: (and not just regarding safety but situations like this really expose the structures of inequalities)

Anyone seen Seaspiracy on Netflix?

I thought it was well done. The main guy has the charisma to take you on the dark journey that ultimately makes you think what a disgusting species we are.

When it comes down to it though, its conclusion that we have to stop eating marine life of all kinds won't work. It's the same moral argument that to save the planet we need to stop eating meat.

But the moral get out clause, to meat and fish eaters (and I am one), is always that we can target *how* its produced to fix things. But as a species the film all too starkly shows that we are driven by greed and self interest so this won't happen until it is too late.

Watched HBO's The Last Cruise last night (trailer above). Highly recommended, it's mostly phone footage but they also do post interviews with people who were on board taking such footage. Not just passengers but the crew too. Only 40mins too.

1 hour ago, Mawdlin said:

Anyone seen Seaspiracy on Netflix?

I thought it was well done. The main guy has the charisma to take you on the dark journey that ultimately makes you think what a disgusting species we are.

When it comes down to it though, its conclusion that we have to stop eating marine life of all kinds won't work. It's the same moral argument that to save the planet we need to stop eating meat.

But the moral get out clause, to meat and fish eaters (and I am one), is always that we can target *how* its produced to fix things. But as a species the film all too starkly shows that we are driven by greed and self interest so this won't happen until it is too late.

I’m watching it as I’m typing. We as a species has a debt to pay, and it will indeed be paid in full when the ecosystems collapse and we lose our habitat.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/04/china-bans-oscars-hong-kong-protest-do-not-split-1234627391/

China has pretty much banned the Oscar broadcasts now and mentions of it, which isn’t a surprise. It is sad that TVB in Hong Kong is following suit in now broadcasting it for the first time in 50 years. As well as Chloe Zhao, this probably has more to do with the Hong Kong protests short doc “Do Not Split” getting a nomination. Please do give it a watch, it’s available on YouTube and Vimeo.

Seaspiracy on Netflix is brilliant. Required watching. Stating that its conclusion to stop eating fish 'won't work' is a bit like a heroin addict telling their doctor that quitting heroin won't work. If you don't eventually do it your body will collapse and die. That also 'won't work'. If you can watch that film and think eating fish in societies where alternatives are plentiful is anything but the height of decadence and totally immoral then you are in denial. It's fair enough - I was in denial for years and there are multi-billion dollar industries working hard to keep you in that denial. But denial is still denial.

This documentary is nominated for an Oscar, I’ve watched it and see why.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000tpzn/storyville-collective-unravelling-a-scandal

About a fire at a gig in Romania, and the subsequent deaths in hospitals caused using diluted disinfectant during treatment. Corrupt government knowing this and hiding facts for yeas. Shocking and unbelievable footage in this one.

Also, reminds me of some of the gigs I go to. The footage of the fire and the speed it spreads makes me think I should stand at the back.

In general BBC Storyville is constantly the best documentary series. Every week a random subject that is compelling viewing…

I watched the WeWork documentary, WeWork: Or the Making and Breaking of a $47 Billion Unicorn. It was good but after 90 minutes of it I still felt a bit lost as to what they actually did that was meant to be revolutionary. Or why SoftBank invested 4 billion dollars into it. 

It was a good insight into how far a semi-decent idea, a load of charisma and self-confidence can take you (see also Theranos and Elizabeth Holmes). But you can only run that race for so long until you get found out. Still, the main guy walked away with a billion dollars and his backers got hosed so the system works I guess. 

The documentary itself was well put together but I found most of the talking heads a bit annoying and they all stared straight into the camera while talking which was a bit creepy. 

2/5

20 hours ago, dino_jr said:

This documentary is nominated for an Oscar, I’ve watched it and see why.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000tpzn/storyville-collective-unravelling-a-scandal

About a fire at a gig in Romania, and the subsequent deaths in hospitals caused using diluted disinfectant during treatment. Corrupt government knowing this and hiding facts for yeas. Shocking and unbelievable footage in this one.

Also, reminds me of some of the gigs I go to. The footage of the fire and the speed it spreads makes me think I should stand at the back.

In general BBC Storyville is constantly the best documentary series. Every week a random subject that is compelling viewing…

Thanks for recommending this, watched it last night. A porter in the hospital I work in, was telling me his Mum recently died of cancer in Romania and the treatment was strewn with bad decisions. Kind of reaffirming from an outsider perspective, when he was pointing out that this it was a working hospital looks like (NHS Cancer Centre) but easy to forget when you are dealing with many patients. 

On 03/04/2021 at 00:18, barkbat said:

Seaspiracy on Netflix is brilliant. Required watching. Stating that its conclusion to stop eating fish 'won't work' is a bit like a heroin addict telling their doctor that quitting heroin won't work. If you don't eventually do it your body will collapse and die. That also 'won't work'. If you can watch that film and think eating fish in societies where alternatives are plentiful is anything but the height of decadence and totally immoral then you are in denial. It's fair enough - I was in denial for years and there are multi-billion dollar industries working hard to keep you in that denial. But denial is still denial.

I understand and agree with your disgust at the human race but comparing it to an individual's heroine addiction is a false analogy on more than one level. I think we only differ on one point: you believe there's hope for the human race. A noble and optimistic position and I respect you for it.

If we all stop eating fish then the planet has a chance. However, given the base, selfish, greedy and venal behaviour the film depicts to say this is unlikely to happen would be a gross understatement. It is a brilliant documentary which highlights (as have so many others such as Blue Planet, An Inconvenient Truth, Cowspiracy etc etc) why as a race we are fucked. And on a happy note why the planet will eventually be better off without us. Denying that is perhaps the ultimate denial.

I am available for kids parties.

On 03/04/2021 at 00:18, barkbat said:

I watched this and obviously found it shocking. There has been pushback, inevitability, not generally though but on the data the film cites coming from 20 year old papers and retracted papers which i think is misleading and damaging even if the overall thrust remains the same. 

George Monbiot is pretty sound, i..think, he must have thought long and looked at the data they would use before deciding he would contribute to it. 

So he tweeted this:

Rutger Bregman in reply tweeted:

https://sustainablefisheries-uw.org/science-of-seaspiracy/

I don't think there's anyone on Earth who would put faith in our collective sense to prioritise long term sustainability over short term profit and growth. Anyone who reads: 'we're overfishing the seas' is not going think; not a chance! I don't believe we'd be that stupid! I trust in the expert professionalism of those who monitor and regulate the oceans!' Given everyone is resigned to eventual extinction, why would our fishing not be as excessive as everything else. Whether it's 2048 or 2098, who doesn't think it's inevitable really? Shark populations are decreasing aren't they? 

There's another climate change documentary coming out on prime in 3 weeks, Big Green Lies, from a book I'd not heard of. Basically the environmental destruction to produce solar and wind turbines outweighs the benefits. Similar to the Michael Moore-endorsed documentary. That unless we tackle consumption the damage remains. 

I watched an interview with the authors and wasn't impressed really. Plus they brought up population. I don't think 'solar panels materialise out of thin air', i know there's a consequence, i thought the point is to transition to something better, not something perfect. And i know large storage batteries are needed and lithium mining isn't great. 

One of the reviews of the book says:

The same story applies in the chapters on wind and solar. It’s hard to tell which one is worse. They consume vast amounts of concrete, steel and rare earths. They are hugely expensive and are only competitive thanks to massive subsidies at every step. They kill endangered species. They are dependent on weather and so are not at all dependable sources of energy. There are scary stats to ponder: Scotland cleared 17,000 acres of 14 million trees to install wind energy systems. Was this a good trade?

Not for the first time, the authors show that mathematically, there just isn’t enough space, money or resources to make the whole civilization run on renewables. They say it would take 80 billion metric tons of extraction to effect the switch. The planet would basically have to devote everything it produces for years to come to pull off this conversion. And it wouldn’t be worth it because ultimately, renewables provide a net-zero reduction in carbon emissions per dollar. Not net zero as in carbon reduction, but net zero difference from fossil fuels. It’s an environmental con game for the authors.

I found Seaspiracy a bit frustrating to be honest and gave up quite quickly.

The way it's told as him discovering this stuff as he goes, lurching from one issue to another just wound me up. "Oh did you know all this plastic on the beach is bad!!!!!!" Yes, I did. Why don't you tell me about it rather than discovering this for yourself. There's a naivety to him that just wound me up a little I guess. I probably prefer my docs to fall into serious educational (sound and act as an authority on the subject and educate me) or tell a story of personal self discovery often about doing something a bit silly and pointless.

In addition the early piece on the dolphins made me think, why not just watch The Cove. Which of course is silly because there's no reason two films cannot cover the same ground.

I'm sure I'll go back to it at some point and enjoy it though.

The old ground thing...i watched Cowspiracy after it and it follows the exact same formula and style, with less numbers on screen. Made me think the Seaspiracy director thought; i want to do something on fishing, hmm that guy did one on cows, maybe i should contact him, and then he did and he came on board as producer and said; do this, it worked for me! I thought Seaspiracy moved too quickly over its issues and used numbers too much to hammer the shock.

Watching Cowspiracy though i was surprised that about 20 minutes in it diverted completely from cows, methane, agriculture to fishing, bringing up the broad points of Seaspiracy.

There was no 'discovery' with Seaspiracy, the director knew what he wanted from the outset because Cowspiracy already touched on it. Not like it matters or i care. 

Yeah I finished it yesterday too, I was initially going to watch the first episode or two only but yeah it's actually great. It's a weird one as the first 4 episodes are really all about 8chan but it works as the central characters are so compelling, it's more about the story of a fall-out over creating something that eventually leads to so much carnage. When the capital storming happened, I hadn't heard of Q. So it's been really interesting to see how it all came about and how powerful it actually was. I had no idea.