IGNORED

Documentaries

gravity0

Watched two documentaries this weekend;

Some Kind of Heaven

Trailer 

Spoiler

A film about some sort of Disneyland for old retirees. I was left disappointed to be honest, I wanted to know more about the actual place and setup but instead its a character study of a few residents. Not as funny as the trailer suggests either.

2/5

The Truffle Hunters

Spoiler

A film about old men in a rural part of Italy hunting truffles with their dogs. This was really nicely done and pretty funny. Even though not a deep dive into the subject, like the film before it's a character study but the subjects were a perfect mix to clearly communicate the situation of truffle hunting as it is today.

4/5

• 4 weeks later...

Netflix has updated "the movies that made us" with a new season -

Halloween

Friday the 13th

A Nightmare on Elm Street

Robocop

Aliens

Coming to America

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Elf

Great line up! I really enjoyed S1+2 but they seem to have done double the episodes for season 3 and these are some great movies.

1 hour ago, Darhkwing said:

Netflix has updated "the movies that made us" with a new season -

Halloween

Friday the 13th

A Nightmare on Elm Street

Robocop

Aliens

Coming to America

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Elf

Great line up! I really enjoyed S1+2 but they seem to have done double the episodes for season 3 and these are some great movies.

When the new season was announced, I looked over the list and it seemed they have added ones from previous seasons. I'm sure I've already seen the episodes for 

The Nightmare Before Christmas and Elf. Had a scan over the Elf one and have seen it previously.

Strange.

Really looking forward to watch Robocop and Aliens though :)

50 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

When the new season was announced, I looked over the list and it seemed they have added ones from previous seasons. I'm sure I've already seen the episodes for 

The Nightmare Before Christmas and Elf. Had a scan over the Elf one and have seen it previously.

Strange.

Really looking forward to watch Robocop and Aliens though :)

Strange! But yeah I think I'll watch all of these.

14 minutes ago, grounded_dreams said:

Just checked further, The Nightmare Before Christmas and Elf episodes initially were released December last year.

Hope you enjoy them :)

I did think it was odd that the rest were horror / Sci fi and the last two were holiday movies. Mystery solved 😁

Watched a couple of 'The movies that made us' episodes last night for the first time, it has interesting concept but christ on a bike the presentation was horrible with it's fast cuts and constant noise. Also the replaying of short snippets from the film that are like reactions to the talking heads are really grating. In general though it's presented like a Ch4/Ch5 reality show where it's overly trying really hard to keep the attention of the viewer. At times it even feels like a gossip magazine in tv form.

They have a great concept here and have managed to get some great people to interview but I wish the presentation was more slow/focused/serious. That said, I think they probably made the smarter choice of making it more 'kid friendly' so that parents could watch with their kids without boring them to death. I realize that, it's just from a selfish point of view it's a real shame.

Watched King Of Kong again last night, it still holds up really well regardless of all the stuff that has happened since. I think it's my favorite videogame documentary ever with just how entertaining/funny it is as well as really teleporting you directly into that world.

So good, I think there was 'spiritual sequel' to this documentary right? never saw it but I got the impression at the time that it wasn't a touch on this? 

Watched 'Four Hours at the Capital' last night on bbc2. If you can stomach it, this feels like the definite documentary of such an event that is simply just showing what happened and giving time to both 'sides' to reflect upon that day. Really shows how it could have quite easily got so much worse.

5 hours ago, Capwn said:

Watched 'Four Hours at the Capital' last night on bbc2. If you can stomach it, this feels like the definite documentary of such an event that is simply just showing what happened and giving time to both 'sides' to reflect upon that day. Really shows how it could have quite easily got so much worse.

Watched it last night. So much footage and stuff I had not seen. 

It was a tough watch. Absolute scumbag idiots are lucky they were not gunned down. The police showed great restraint. 

If they had got in to the main speakers house it would have been a bloodbath as the cops and secret service were ready to unload. 

41 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Tonight on BBC Four at 9pm - The Alex Winter documentary from last year - ZAPPA - and no doubt on the iPlayer afterwards for a bit.

It doesn't do a great job at winning new fans, but for us that already there - it's a worthwhile 2 hours.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0010rl8

I enjoyed it! I tweeted Alex Winter asking if he’d do one about Weird Al Yankovich next, and they both replied! Best day ever. 

A Killing In Tiger Bay (iPlayer)

Savage account of 5 guys framed for murder. I'm sure most people know about it but this whole thing was before my time so I'd never heard of it. So many aspects of corruption and bullying are absolutely, horrifyingly shocking it's hard to take in - completely unbelievable in places. It's our 'West of Memphis' basically. 

35 minutes ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

A Killing In Tiger Bay (iPlayer)

Savage account of 5 guys framed for murder. I'm sure most people know about it but this whole thing was before my time so I'd never heard of it. So many aspects of corruption and bullying are absolutely, horrifyingly shocking it's hard to take in - completely unbelievable in places. It's our 'West of Memphis' basically. 

Do not get me started on this cos its really fucking upsetting tbh. 

The way Stephen was basically tortured via an Interview for 15 hrs a day until he broke and said what they wanted was heartbreaking. 

And the court case. 

We've lost the evidence, it's been shredded, that's it case closed.

The court case ends. 

Two weeks later, oh we've just found the evidence. Too late now *shrugs*

Despicable

• 2 weeks later...