Documentaries

gravity0

19 minutes ago, b00dles said:

Yeah, although I do love all behind the scenes stuff and could always have watched more, I still thought it was good (and that tng behind the scenes with frakes is hilarious).

I thought it wasn't a bad idea but I dunno, it was also thought of at the time as part of the doc and I don't think that's what would have happened... if you know what I mean?

I think they would have done the entire previous 7 differently if they were doing it when they filmed the doc.

It was a bit navel gazing in a way I suppose is how I'd put it but I'd also definitely have watched it. 

Then again, I'd have watched an entire series of Andrew Robinson as a tailor spy. Or just Jeffrey combs doing his thing as one of his many characters. 

Sorry by behind the scenes stuff I meant off set. Reading some reviews it seems some people wanted it to go into the politics off camera re Terry Farrella exit and Rick Berman being a horrible pos.

But having said that, I would have liked to have seen more candid behind the scene stuff too of them just goofing around.

As far as the S8 idea they had, I think some of that could work well, but not rushed out in 1 episode. Feels like a whole seasons worth of ideas with the ending and cliffhanger being Siskos return.

4 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Sorry by behind the scenes stuff I meant off set. Reading some reviews it seems some people wanted it to go into the politics off camera re Terry Farrella exit and Rick Berman being a horrible pos.

But having said that, I would have liked to have seen more candid behind the scene stuff too of them just goofing around.

As far as the S8 idea they had, I think some of that could work well, but not rushed out in 1 episode. Feels like a whole seasons worth of ideas with the ending and cliffhanger being Siskos return.

Oh right yeah, I didn't really expect them to talk about that though really but I did find the business with Nana visitor and Marc Alaimo quite odd. I couldn't quite tell if they were suggesting that there really was still bad blood between them, or they just edited it like that to try and add a little frisson. 

Yeah that's also true, it wasn't really as long winded as I'd imagine breaking a show would really be, let alone the actual process of writing and making the shows and the changes that happen along the way. It was probably only an afternoon (or an hour or two maybe) of them  having a general chat about the idea, which was fun but it also came across like that. 

But then I do wonder if there was at least a supposition they might get a film or something due to how it ended with sisko as wormhole alien. So perhaps that was always in the back burner. 

P.s. they may have covered this, it was a while ago I saw the doc :D

And we should probably move it to the star trek thread to save annoying anyone wanting to watch a new documentary that's getting lots of posts on the thread :P

• 2 weeks later...

@Capwn you might be the only one here who can actually watch this but

A documentary about animals and how and why they sleep!

https://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/episodes/how-the-wild-things-sleep

(After years of depression and struggling with uni and not knowing what the hell I wanna do with my life, I finally have a proper 40h/week job (in my damn 30s, but better late than never) and this was kind of my first project on this job, so I am a bit proud that I am able to post this and didn't kill myself before I got here! My company did the HDR grading for this and I think the cuttlefish are just the cutest.)

Anyway it features a guy who's job it was to stay up all night and keep snails from sleeping, and then testing their short-term memory. So there's that.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Traumazone / iPlayer

Only on ep1, but a fascinating look at Russia 1985 to 1999. Veers from humorous (using the back of a hoover to blow models hair at a photoshoot) to grim (War with Afghanistan, Chernobyl footage). Highlights how criminals and the Communist Party effectively teamed up to pillage and loot at the expense of the working class.

The Fire Within: Storyville.

This Monday 9pm BBC Four

On 3 June 1991 at 3.18pm, a pyroclastic flow erupted from Mount Unzen in Japan. A cloud of superheated gases and particles descended at more than 100mph from the peak of the volcano, consuming everything in its path.

It instantly killed Katia and Maurice Krafft, volcanologists and film-makers from the Alsace region in France. They were too close. They were almost always too close. On the day before they died, Maurice said in an interview, 'I am never afraid, because I’ve seen so many eruptions in 25 years that, even if I die tomorrow, I don’t care.'

The Fire Within pays homage to the Kraffts, who left an archive of more than 200 hours of footage of their final journey, unprecedented in its spectacular and hypnotic beauty.

On 15/10/2022 at 09:54, Mr Do 71 said:

The Fire Within: Storyville.

This Monday 9pm BBC Four

We watched this on Netflix a while ago. It's absolutely stunning. I've yet to perfect my Werner Hertzog impersonation but I'll get there.

If you can find it I would also recommend Herzog's "Grizzly Man". It's not easy viewing but very well made.

8 hours ago, jon_cybernet said:

Is it available to watch anywhere?

That looks bloody good. That's one of those trailers that gives away too much though. I remember 1997 and how huge they were. I knew nothing of..

Spoiler

The political fallout and the record being pulled until I saw that trailer.

18 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Speaking of Herzog has anyone seen this?

My Best Friend

It's about his tumultuous relationship with legendary lunatic Klaus Kinski.

It’s fiend not friend! 

Coincidentally, the latest Documentary Now two parter, Shadow of Illusion, is a Herzog parody, mainly parodying My Best Fiend and Burden of Dreams, although there is a Grizzly Man nod in there too. 

• 3 weeks later...

A Bunch of Amateurs is on general release now, it's great stuff.

It's about the Bradford Movie Makers Club, the oldest amateur filmmaking society in the UK. Lovely doc.