Metal Slug 4 And Gunbarich

Dimahoo

Woah!!!!

TWO! rather coolgames are now supported in the latest verison of Mame...

Metal Slug 4 by Mega, which is a pretty decent game in its own right although not the best of the series...

And Psikyo's Gunbarich - a very addictive Breakout/Arkanoid clone thats very easy to play (using a joypad - makes a change for a breakout clone) and features a wealth of combo's, powerups and score items.

IMO, this is well worth the upgrade, although some peeps might want to wait for 0.91 before finding all the roms.

What with this and Progear, January has turned out to be some month for Mame fans.

gnbarich.png

Gunbarich

progear.jpg

Progear

1.jpg

Metal Slug 4

I just found out that Super Monaco Gp now works in Mame. I tried it with a recent version, but it wasn't working properly, just updated to the latest version, and it's now fully playable.

Just had a quick blast :angry: , I used to love it in the arcades.

Now come on, MS4 was a lot less elegant than 3 - full of cliché and devoid of imagination - but it was still quite fun, wasn't it? Mind you, I don't think any of the MS games are particularly decent compared to the more imaginative/less mindless shooters...

Metal Slug 4 is precisely what you expect to happen if you take a popular franchise famed for it's character and give it to a Korean company that develops soulless, generic Counter-Strike clones for the PC.

There is just absolutely no love or imagination apparent in the game whatsoever.

Metal Slug 5 was far better.

You want justification don't you? Hmm, I'm a bit pressed for time at the moment, but the long and short of it is that sometimes I can play through an MS title with my mind switched off and it's quite fun, but sometimes I think "hmm, that battle was fun, now it's time to shoot another load ofzzzzzzz...." It's the platform-shooter equivalent of Serious Sam - great fun for all of five-ten minutes and then you just feel like you're going through the motions and there's nothing to think about apart from the placement of your character in relation to the hails of bullets...oh and the need to continue firing, of course. :lol: As I said in another forum when suggesting ideas for a shooter someone is developing, I love my shooters to have strategy to them, I love to be given that extra incentive to try that little bit harder for a high score. Iridis Alpha - with it's multi-planet twin-universe - has strategy. Ikaruga - with it's risk/reward chaining system - has some level of strategy. Dodonpachi's combos, Contra III's dual weapons, Omega Fighter's close-range kills. Metal Slug? What can you do? Aim for a high hostage count? Choose to use vehicles or not? Take an alternative route? These are more incidental tactics borne of the features that are peppered around the gameworld, not a recommended strategy that is formed as a result of a unique core gameplay mechanic. For all it's polish and short-term fun, neither MS nor any of it's sequels will be favourites of mine; it's just simple, dumb fun.

I think it's the personality of the Metal Slug games that makes them, not necessarily the (lack of) huge strategy in the play mechanics. Also, I prefer my shooters to be stupid dumb fun; if I want strategy, I'll play an RTS. Besides, MS isn't as dumb as you seem to think...

Ah. Well anyway - thought i'd let you all know.

For me, the Metal Slug games are just pure fun - in the same way classic platformers like Wonderboy and Ghost ans Goblins. The incidental activity is very comical and its just a damn good hoot.

I really love this graphical style too, and only Irem comes close to anything similar.

Wasn't that anime shump Spriggin by them too?

Nope that was compile, they did a shitload of great pc engine and msx shmups and also the Aleste series which is on just about every system.

The pc engine developer you're thinking of was probably Naxat-Soft as their name is kinda similar to nazca.

I honestly can't believe you people!

Metal Slug has loads of subtlties in the way it plays too, or didn't you notice? I think almost everyone likes Metal Slug, because it can be just dumb fun, but when you get better I find it becomes immensely satisfying.

Or am I just shit?

SNK need to ditch Metal Slug and start a new platform-shooter series.

I've been playing alot of Gunstar Heroes lately and it really is head and sholders above MS on the gameplay front. I like the fact it isn't one hit kill, the movment system is more flexible and the weapons combine in interesting ways. Using the plasma sword type thing to block bullets is fantastic fun.

Irem games always had incredibly cool graphic design. Great depth as well. I'm pretty addicted to Ninja Spirit. There's another title that I think does something similar to MS but a thousand times better.

I just found out that Super Monaco Gp now works in Mame. I tried it with a recent version, but it wasn't working properly, just updated to the latest version, and it's now fully playable.

Just had a quick blast :D , I used to love it in the arcades.

wow, cool.

When i was younger me, my brother and cousin (who was 7 years older than me) used to take us down the arcades to play TMNT etc but he always used to play Super Monaca GP. We could never afford it, so we just watched him play. It looked so nice..

Then recently i heard it wasnt emulated.. but now ill have to check it out.