Best Saturn Games

Graham S

Can't you just do a search as this has been asked and answered before you know. :lol:

Sorry, DCM. Of course I will do that too. There's still a bit of value in chatting about an age-old subject from time to time. The games you personally like might not change, but sometimes other people like to add to the conversation. It's only a topic that can be ignored or discussed like any other.

Anything that involves a spaceship shooting lots of other spaceships whilst dodging shitloads of bullets normally work for me.

I'd better get to the newsagent and have a look at GamesTm before the new issue comes out: I only quickly skipped over the retro section this month, but the coverage of some of those shooters has suddenly attained a new relevance for me. :lol:

I'd better get to the newsagent and have a look at GamesTm before the new issue comes out: I only quickly skipped over the retro section this month, but the coverage of some of those shooters has suddenly attained a new relevance for me. :lol:

I'm been aiming to write a saturn shooters features since issue 4, so I'm quite pleased that it's finally in there.

Let me sing the praises of Soukyugurentai. It's a oft-overlooked shmup, eclipsed somewhat by the big guns on Saturn, but it runs a very close second to Radiant Silvergun in my book. It's immensely good fun, superbly put together with a stunning soundtrack and a crazy amount of onscreen action. You can pretty much always pick it up for the £25-30 mark.

just need the following and I have everything :lol:

Blastwind

Bokan To Ippatsu Doronboo Kanpekiban

Gekirindan

Layer Section II

Planet Joker

Skull Fang

Space Invaders

Steam Hearts

Strikers 1945 II

Cotton 2 Success Sequel of the SNES Cotton, still starring that really cute witch

Cotton Boomerang Success   

Darius II

Kaitei Daisensou

Macross: Do You Remember Love?

Metal Black Ving

Sol Divide

Dezaemon 2

Konami Antiques MSX Collection Ultra Pack Konami Huge pack of classic Konami MSX shooties

Vampire Saviour

Street Fighter Alpha 2

Xmen Vs Streetfighter

Sega Rally

Panzer Dragoon Zwei

Guaridan Heroes

Saturn Bomberman

Parodius (the uk pal one)

Nights + 3d pad

Exhumed/Duke Nukem 3d/ Quake (not only are they great but as has been mentioned, FUCKING DEATH TANK BABY!!!!)

theres probably more but those are the ones that spring to mind at this time. youll see the same ones popping up again and again

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing quite as fun as daytona, time lag, oval circuit, two players and a shedload of beer.

I also quite enjoy strikers 1945, sega rally, fighters megamix, virtua cop...

God, I miss my saturn.

Davros Sock Drawer, damn you, damn you to hell...

Man, I can't believe somebody said Sega Rally isn't worth playing! Of course it is worth it, just to see the depth of car handling and the course design. You can then take part it the odd Sega Rally thread that pops up every now and again. It'll be the best 20p you'll spend, tbh (it was £1 a go last time I played the arcade ;) )

Gun Griffon is a nice game, mission-based mecha action like. Exhumed is a pretty decent Quake-style FPS, mixed with a little Metroid action. It has some brill scary bits and is quite tough to boot.

I'll always, and forever, recommend Daytona but maybe not the PAL version. Note that great too look at but it is a fairly competent port.

I might be back later, recommend some more stuff.

Tempest 2000. I have no idea how it compares to the Jaguar and other versions of the game, but I have the Saturn version and I love it, despite being pathetic at it (damn you, pulsars)!

Sega Rally. Still great fun today, and of course it's very, very cheap.

NiGHTS. Well, obviously...

Burning Rangers. Even though its graphics don't really hold up, it's a game I still enjoy.

Earthworm Jim 2. I don't think it's as good as the Mega Drive version, but it's still a decent platformer, and it has the funniest end sequence of all time. Well, apart from Monkey Island 2, that is. :D

Also, is Panzer Dragoon Zwei much better than the first one? I got the original a while ago and wasn't too keen on it - partly because it doesn't have any kind of score attack feature, and partly because I'd already played Rez.

Yarr!

Look, we're talking about an ancient machine here, and putting a few pennies into the pockets of some guy at a car-boot-sale or Ebay isn't really helping the world to be a better place. So let me get right to the point: How'd you play copied games on a Saturn? I'm already keen to get it fitted with 60hz and region-free.

Thing is, i'd like to play all these classics, and they often turn out to be hard to emulate (funny that!). Radiant Silvergun is only about 90 meg on Bittorrent! (As opposed to £90 out of your pocket).