Head To Head

InsideOutBoy

I’ve been fortunate enough to have some fantastic team games, but nothing can compare to the emotional buzz and adrenaline rush of head to head games.

There you are, all by yourself, with no team-mates to take the blame or glory. It’s all down to you, locking your skills against a single opponent. It’s incredibly nerve-racking and exciting.

Suddenly Halo 2 has come to life. It’s like chess. Each weapon is like a separate piece with its own distinctive strength and weakness. You have to pick which piece to use carefully and skilfully to win.

You know exactly what your opponent will be using so you can plan and strategize what weapons and tactics to use in order to defeat him. This is a clash of intellects and skill as both of you move to outmanoeuvre and double-bluff the other.

It’s a place where you can display your ultimate showmanship. After killing someone repeatedly with the sword, I deliberately put it down as they watched on the ‘death-cam’. They picked it up, and I proceeded to kill them again with the battle rifle. It was an honourable gesture, giving away a cheap weapon, or so I like to think!

And better yet, everybody I’ve come across seems so damn polite. Without a team to hide behind, everybody is stripped bare and wants to make friends, lest they get an embarrassing beating in the game ahead.

I recommend everyone try at least a few head to head games, preferably late at night when the servers are busy. Then you will truly witness the greatness of Halo 2. ;)

Well it all depends on the team I reckon. I played an amazing game of Assault on Headlong last night. It was the final round and we'd scored our point and they managed to get the bomb into the building, somehow managing to always keep at least 1 guy near it so it stayed on 5 seconds - this went on for about 15 minutes! It was unbelievably tense.. I didn't know any of my team but somehow we just gelled and somehow managed to hold em off checking each exit and stairway until finally we won. Its an amazing map. More please Bungie.

Head to head is ok.. but after playing it for so many years on other games I find the team games much more interesting. But it all depends on how you play with - the golden rule of online team games.

I find Head to Head is just a battle to get best weapons first and tuck yourself into a good spot most of the time - something I'm useless at. :angry:

And if I do get them I feel cheap using them. :unsure:

I also find a lot of opponents will just hide once they've gone a few points ahead.

I had one twat hide on the hidden slopes on Ascension just shouting 'You can't find me, hahahahaha'.

I told him he was very clever afterwards. :(

I find head to head pretty dull. Even on the small maps half your time is spent trying to find the other person and half the time they're camping anyway. It's mostly about the element of suprise, if you get the drop on someone then there is a good chance you'll take them.

Well maybe I just had a good night, or perhaps it’s because I’m relatively low down in the ranks, but playing Head to Head last night was comparable to the finest clan game ever.

The sword seemed less over-powering to me. In team games you often don’t know if or who has it, but in Head to Head you'll know if the enemy has it.

It then becomes a fun challenge figuring out how to pick him off. All you need is a little forward planning. Sword guys are little match for a Battle Rifle and a 20 foot gap. :angry:

I did get one guy who decided to get a lead and then hide, but he was quite a friendly bloke so I let him off. There was one arrogant screamer later on but it was a lot of fun winding him up over the headset.

When someone starts using sly tactics against you, it forces you to think of cunning and satisfying strategies to flush them out, and I find that very rewarding. In team games everything can be a little random.

Not so in Head to Head. It's so much more tactical. It reminded me fondly of the tense 1 vs. 1 games I used to have with my mate in Goldeneye.

Except now you actually spawn with a gun... :(

head 2 head is awesome, il play anyone here on it if they wana add 'chococat'. theres a counter for anything..thr rpg is quite weak and the sword is just nothing to fear at all. Sniper rifle headshots, shotguns, active cam and the battle rifle are the ones to fear.

i cant believe people still rate the sword, in 1v1 i never even pick it up. maybe only to leave it somewhere as a trap for someone.

head 2 head is awesome, il play anyone here on it if they wana add 'chococat'. theres a counter for anything..thr rpg is quite weak and the sword is just nothing to fear at all. Sniper rifle headshots, shotguns, active cam and the battle rifle are the ones to fear.

i cant believe people still rate the sword, in 1v1 i never even pick it up. maybe only to leave it somewhere as a trap for someone.

Surely it's the ultimate suprise secondary weapon?

I'll add that it truly is the fine coffee of Halo 2 - not for everyone.

I used to hate it, but now its fucking amazing.

Also, for all those people who say "they get a point ahead and hide"

WELL NO SHIT.

You are either the hider or the seeker, or you are drawing, then you are both both. If you are a point up, you have a choice - hide and get the enemy to reveal their position, or try to dominate and get to 10. If you are against someone decent, then you'll play safe - which is a compliment.

I've won a game with 3 seconds left before, its so fucking tense. I fucking love it, no one to blame but yourself, and no one else to share the glory.

Make sure you're always hosting, and forget about cheaters.

Its a tense, totally different type of game than the team stuff (which I LOVE) - and it fucking kicks arse.

• 2 weeks later...