The Office (american)

tsunami1

Dunno where it's gone now, but there was a 10 minute clip on http://www.myspace.com/theoffice showing a segment called Diversity Day which was absolutely hilarious. The Brent character makes everyone in the office wear a piece of paper with a minority race on their foreheads and asks everyone to "treat each other as if you were that race." Had me in hysterics. I also can't believe anything so touchy and potentially offensive could possibly make it on American TV either.

I'm aware that this is not the view held by everyone in this topic, but this lazy english-originated cultural presumption that *everyone* in the US is stupid and wouldn't appreciate this kind of thing is annoying.

you would honestly think that office space, seinfeld, curb your enthusiasm, cheers, frasier, and even murphy brown had never existed.

GAH!

To be fair most people get their views on American intelligence by those thay've played against on Halo 2.

Dunno where it's gone now, but there was a 10 minute clip on http://www.myspace.com/theoffice showing a segment called Diversity Day which was absolutely hilarious.  The Brent character makes everyone in the office wear a piece of paper with a minority race on their foreheads and asks everyone to "treat each other as if you were that race."  Had me in hysterics.  I also can't believe anything so touchy and potentially offensive could possibly make it on American TV either.

That scene is in episode two (ie. the one I just watched). Excellently done it is.

I'm aware that this is not the view held by everyone in this topic, but this lazy english-originated cultural presumption that *everyone* in the US is stupid and wouldn't appreciate this kind of thing is annoying.

you would honestly think that office space, seinfeld, curb your enthusiasm, cheers, frasier, and even murphy brown had never existed.

GAH!

Works pretty well the other way you know. The Yanks are pretty well known for having wildly inaccurate assumptions of other cultures.

Thanks for that, although a lot of the things on there seem to be game shows. You know what I mean though, all of their big shows like the X-Files, 24, Sapranos, Sex and the City, Friends, Ally McBeal, Fraiser, Third Rock from the Sun ect all come over here in their original American form, where as most of the popular stuff that we make has to be remade for the American audience.

Its not just TV shows either, theres even more of a problem with movies. Look at the amount of remakes Hollywood are making at the moment (not just English films) and the way they change the story to make it into an American one. Spielberg is one of the worst for this as he changed Saving Private Ryan into an American tale when it actually happened in the UK, yet there was no mention of the British troops at all in the film. And he is going to do it again later this year with War of the Worlds, a story written by a British author and set in England is now going to take place in the US.

Spielberg is one of the worst for this as he changed Saving Private Ryan into an American tale when it actually happened in the UK, yet there was no mention of the British troops at all in the film.

First I've heard of that. Sure you aren't mixing it up with U-571?

I thought it was funny. Not as good as the original, and certainly not as subtle, but I laughed a few times.

The Tim and Gareth characters are both appalling, mind. Particularly Tim. We cared about Tim's plight because he was one of us; we wanted him to get the girl. He looks like an overgrown fratboy in the remake. Stupid Americans and your demographics.

Spielberg is one of the worst for this as he changed Saving Private Ryan into an American tale when it actually happened in the UK, yet there was no mention of the British troops at all in the film.

riiigghhht....

Saving Private Ryan isn't too bad, as the American and British invasion forces operated completely seperately and never really met, but I get your point. U-571 was a travesty. Sometiomes i think we should make a film where the british capture Io Two Jima.

I heard they may be making a new film about the battle of Rorke's Drift with some Americans in it :D

Plus there was also that film going to be made with Tom cruise called Billy Fisk, about an American Fighter pilot who won the Battle Of Britain.

I heard they may be making a new film about the battle of Rorke's Drift with some Americans in it ;)

Plus there was also that film going to be made with Tom cruise called Billy Fisk, about an American Fighter pilot who won the Battle Of Britain.

Well at least there were American fighter pilots in the Battle of Britain!

Back to The Office, I too thought the 2nd episode was excellent, whereas the first was mearly "meh". If they keep the stuff up to this standard I'll definitely keep watching.

riiigghhht....

Saving Private Ryan isn't too bad, as the American and British invasion forces operated completely seperately and never really met, but I get your point.  U-571 was a travesty. Sometiomes i think we should make a film where the british capture Io Two Jima.

EDIT Didnt read post properly ;)

It's not half as funny as the original, but it's still very good.

The bits they've copied off our version are crap here (probably because we've seen it done before, and better), but I'm loving all the new stuff.

The moment he mentioned the 'surprise' you knew what would happen but it was still funny.

No chance of it getting cancelled, it's getting modest ratings in the US, they weren't expecting big ratings to begin with, and lots of people probably got put off by the crappy pilot episode. This kinda show needs time to pick up viewers. Plus it's low budget and the networks love that, Friends cost 10x this due to cast wages.

Its ranking 74th in the network ratings right now and pulling in around 6 million viewers. Not exactly a massive hit, but may have a chance of getting a new season. I don't know how long the current season is supposed to last.

I agree. I think it's much funnier than the original.

They did exactly what they had to do - they made an intepretation rather than a straight remake. It is faster, more up-beat and far more like a traditional sitcom. Not that this is a bad thing, it is just different.

And the lass who plays the receptionist is a fox.