Amiga Demo's Website

dumpster

About a year ago, I replied to someone's post saying the demo they wanted would be here...

http://www.magicpack.net/

eventually. Well, it's finally gone live, it's the collection of demo packs that a friend of mine made over a period of about 5 years. He's adding new disks when he get's time, and just about every single demo worth seeing is in the complete set, which will be online soon.

Hope this is of use to someone.

I've managed to get the disk menus to load, but it stops at almost every demo/intro I try to load. Memory issues? Something I should do in settings?

Oh, and the scrollers were hardly silky smooth like I remembered them, I suspect this is down to the emulator?

Still, thanks! I've been meaning to try an amiga emu for ages, but kept forgetting to.

Edit: I needed to add more memory. A funny moment when I wanted to add 512kb and thought 'shit, I only have 512 ... err mb'.

I reckon the classic Amiga demo has gotta be the Red Sector Megademo. Yeah, it looks pretty dated, but at the time it had a lot of original features. Plus "Rise Up" by Romeo Knight is an absolute class tune! :rolleyes:

You bet yo ass.

You can stuff Jesus on Es and Nine Fingers. Red Sector Megademo is where it's at. The tune for the 2nd part fucking rocks and omg vectorballs with reflections!

Sabreman's with us, right?

You got it. There's nothing particularly memorable about the music in Jesus on Es for a start - it's just one long fairly boring dance beat type thing. The RSM doesn't put a foot wrong - every single tune is a classic. I still get goosebumps listening to the 'Wasteland' track.

I think I have that Unicycle demo on disk, in fact I am convinced I have. But surely the ultimate Amiga demo is Puggs in Space? Surely??

Ooo! If you do manage to find it, please let me know what the name of the demo is. It's probably not very good, but was one of the earliest demos I saw running on the Amiga.

As for Puggs in Space, it makes me smile, but I wouldn't class it as an all time fave. I have all the tunes from it kicking around on my Amiga hard drive.

`Budbrain Megademo` (the original) will always hold special memories for me. I think one of the most impressive demos though is `Arte`. To think that all of that stuff is on one disk, and running on an Amiga 500 is truly amazing. Cracking music too.

Rob

You bet yo ass.

You can stuff Jesus on Es and Nine Fingers. Red Sector Megademo is where it's at. The tune for the 2nd part fucking rocks and omg vectorballs with reflections!

Sabreman's with us, right?

You boys rock.

Rise Up & 1989 A Number are still class these days.

Romeo Knight himself doesn't rate them, apparently.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how I missed this thread for quite so long...

There's some really great stuff here. This really brings back some great memories. :P

I reckon the classic Amiga demo has gotta be the Red Sector Megademo. Yeah, it looks pretty dated, but at the time it had a lot of original features. Plus "Rise Up" by Romeo Knight is an absolute class tune!  :P

You, sir, get the very highest of high-fives. o/\o

I'd practically forgotten about that one. Sheer class, and absolutely jaw-dropping at the time. I'm going to have to dig out the disk and re-live my youth. :ph34r:

Mental Hangover was great! Even found the mod of the music a few years ago. Big fan of the Red Sector Megademo and the Budbrain. Another couple of good ones were the Visions Megademo 4 and The Predators Megademo. I always found Amiga demo music to be of an excellent quality. Just left them on for hours looping.

I don't think any machine has or ever will have, a demo scene like that. The PC one is littered with high end stuff or stuff you have to fiddle with settings for. I remember before I got my PC (way back in 94!) someone showed me the Future Crew demo for the PC and I laughed him out the room - to me it just paled in comparison to some of the amiga stuff.

Yeah, I'm very disappointed with much of the PC demoscene stuff I've seen (though I admit it hasn't been an awful lot). It mainly seems to consist of making pretty, shiny shapes with DirectX or whatever, and very uninspiring trance music.