The Rllmuk Halo 2 Live Strategy Guide

Alex W.

I reckon it's time we put together a thread about general Halo 2 strategy; we discuss it in clan threads but there's not a general thread to discuss and argue over what the best way to get a flag out of Headlong is, or whatever. So, to begin, the basic rules that everyone should know.

The Golden Rules

General

1) Learn to shoot straight.

Practice with the weapons until you're competent with each of them. Even if you're, say, an ace with the dual magnums, pick up a battle rifle for a while. It'll mean you get killed a bit more, perhaps, but you'll be more useful all-round.

2) Learn the maps.

Practice the maps, looking for shortcuts, cover, escape routes and ingress routes. Get to know where the items, vehicles, and weapons are, and how to get to them when you need them.

3) Carry the right gun for the job.

When in open space, use a rifle; in close quarters, dual-wield or carry a shotgun. Practice with the weapons until you get a feel for what you can use best, and where. Try to be flexible, though; where it won't disadvantage your team, try to have a backup weapon available. If you're fighting at range and have to fall back indoors, a shotgun in the backpack is always useful. I try to have both a long-range and short-range weapon on me at all times in Rumble Pit.

4) Arm up.

With those three sorted, you should be able to decide which weapon you're going for, and how to get to it, each time you respawn. It may be worth dual-wielding something - anything - from the outset if you respawn with just one dual-wield weapon. Unless you're confident with it, grab another ASAP.

5) Pick your fights.

Make the enemy fight on your terms; engage shotgun carriers at long range, sneak up on snipers, draw sword users into the open. Don't be afraid to pick off a target someone else has weakened; if you can stride into a one-on-one and make a difference for yourself or your team, do it.

If you get into trouble, don't be afraid to fall back. In objective games, you'll save a nasty respawn wait, and in Slayers, you'll deprive an enemy of a kill.

Team Games

1) Communicate

Tell your teammates anything of note: what weapon you're going for, where the enemy's big hitters are, which way flags and bombs are heading, which way you're going if you've got an objective-critical item. Especially important if you're a sniper; you can provide valuable intel from wherever you're hiding.

Organise yourselves: make sure everyone knows what they're doing; sort out your strategy and who's doing what; call in vehicles, rockets, or sniper fire.

2) Work together.

An obvious one, but easily forgotten; coordinate your attacks and defenses as a group, or even as pairs. Cover your snipers, form a wall around your flag carriers, load up the Warthog and draw enemy fire.

3) Enemies first, objectives second.

One of the most common newbie errors is to focus intensely on the flag, hill, or bomb, and disregard the six opposition members who're going to kill you when you get near it. Do your best to take them out before you make yourself vulnerable. Even if you die in the process, your teammates should have an easier time getting to the objective and making proper use of it with a few enemies taken down.

This isn't without its exceptions. If the flag's halfway home and about to return, grab it no matter the cost. If you've got the time, though, flatten a few enemies before making that suicide touch; just stay near the flag and clutch for it when your shields go down.

4) Share the wealth

Each weapon on the map can make a major difference to your team's progess. A rocket launcher or a sniper rifle can decimate from long range, while a sword or shotgun can carve through enemy defenses or attackers. However, if you've carrying, say, a shotgun and a sword, you're essentially keeping one of those weapons out of circulation at any given time. Being flexible isn't as essential as in Rumble Pit; your teammates should be carrying weapons which compliment your own.

This goes for vehicles too; if you're cruising around on a Wraith defending the base, do you really need a rocket launcher? If you're just going after a sniper rifle, why are you in the Warthog?

More importantly, if you get taken out during a base assault, you're effectively delivering weapons to the enemy. If you dismount a Wraith at their front door and get slaughtered when you leap in with a shotgun and an unused sword, you've done little but play courier.

4b) ...but not with the enemy.

As Vanthal observes, you should take every oppertunity to deprive the opposition of a useful weapon in solo or in team games; controlling your foes' rocket launcher can make all the difference in an assault.

Free For Alls

1) Hoard everything.

Every item you carry is something a foe won't have. Even if you're not going to make use of a plasma pistol or a beam rifle, grab it and keep it in your second slot so someone else can't make use if it. Hoover up available grenades and things like overshields. Active Camo? You're about to go on a shotgun spree, so it's not particularly helpful, but at least you'll save yourself from being Assasinated by some invisible loser.

Its truly amazing how perception of the weapons change over time. When I first picked up the carbine I thought "what a load of shit", whereas now I pick on up and think "Hell yeah!"

Dual wielding has its place, but as you go up ranks its used less and less, and when it is, its the right place right time and you die. Dual wielding is also pretty random - you'll die when you shouldn't and vice versa, thanks to the magic of lag compensation.

The difference in a Rumble Pit where I'm the lowest is SO different to when everyone is below 12. SMG fests become something totally different and beautiful.

I had a pretty good game on Ascension in Rumble pit - but I had spawned far from any weapons on the banshee platform. I got seen going for the Battle Rifle above the leap of faith and was forced into an smg battle with on dude - of course some guy starts shooting me from behind as well, kills me and starts fighting the other guy. In the time it took me to spawn back on the banshee platform, they STILL hadn't killed each other, so I threw a grenade down and got a double kill. That is what's wrong with the weapons like that - its a 300 shot kill, and while you two are dancing the jig of the sub machine gun, everyone else and his dog is taking bets on who's gonna get a double kill out of you 2 n00bs.

Just how do you use grenades like that? I realise it'd to to with knocking the shields down, but I can never get the timing right.

It wasn't soley a grenade. I approached the sword guy and once I started to unload my SMG from the right distance I started to back off just keeping him out of range. He starts approaching but soon realises that hes not gonna catch me so starts to back off. As soon as he switches walking direction grenade is thrown - dead.

Coagulation-Default Weapons and Vehicles on map-TS,CTF (most games really).

There is only one rocket launcher on this map and whoever gets it first can usually get their team off to an early advantage as any vehicle based assaults can be cut short with ease.

A cool tactic that me and my mate always use is ..

Spawned>One gets in Ghost and races to the Rocket Launcher.

Second guy runs atop base and equips the Sniper Rifle and covers the Rocket Launcher.

You'll find that in most games both teams will try this tactic and it makes for an interesting early flashpoint and often dictates who leads first(which is always a good confidence boost).

Very true. My usual shout-out to the team on starting a Coag game is "Whoever gets in the Ghost, grab the rockets and take cover", but I'll have to remember the sniper bit too (which is handy if the rocket-grabber gets taken out).

I think the last Coag assault game opened with two exploded Ghosts, a toasted Warthog, an empty rocket launcher, the bomb, and about five corpses littering the centre spot within 60 seconds of the game starting.

I think the last Coag assault game opened with two exploded Ghosts, a toasted Warthog, an empty rocket launcher, the bomb, and about five corpses littering the centre spot within 60 seconds of the game starting.

usually when i play the whole team just piles into the middle... ghost goes for the rocket (of course) and the hog to provide a bit of backup.

only thing is of course, if the other team get the rocket launcher you're about 4 men down within the first 30 seconds of the match ;) still, it's fun.

I think most people stay away from red/blue because on team games (especially with the Elite model) you can get some confusion (people's primary colour becomes their secondary on team games, and the Elite has a lot of secondary colour on him).

Hmm, this "Combat Tactics" book thinks quite highly of having midfield/defense/attack roles for players, in order to define what they're doing and what weapons they should aim for.

Thoughts? I've never made much of an attempt to control the middle-ground in a map.

Hmm, this "Combat Tactics" book thinks quite highly of having midfield/defense/attack roles for players, in order to define what they're doing and what weapons they should aim for.

Thoughts? I've never made much of an attempt to control the middle-ground in a map.

It's vital.

It's worth mentioning that on Coag with flag / assault games, your base defenders should be careful about killing enemies when your offense are at the enemy base. If you are launching a flag steal, smart teams will throw themselves in front of your guns if they are at your base so that they can respawn back where they are needed...

It's worth mentioning that on Coag with flag / assault games, your base defenders should be careful about killing enemies when your offense are at the enemy base. If you are launching a flag steal, smart teams will throw themselves in front of your guns if they are at your base so that they can respawn back where they are needed...

He's rite, if its one flag on coag and ur attackin, sometimes u find a warthog at ur base with 2 ppl in, if ur team are going 2 get the flag, let him kill u, distract them, jump around, for the sake of the team!

There is nothing better on coag than heading to the enemy base in a warthog flying past all the enemy players mid map on foot, laughing at them as you whizz by B)

i dunno about that, having an enemy in the passenger seat and a team mate on the gun as you roll over their squad is pretty damn funny imo... :unsure:

The very best thing is when you have one of them as a passenger, 2 of you in the hog, and you discuss how you're going to take them to the rocks and murder them, while you drive to the furthest corner of the map. They never know what to do and end up staying in until their inevitable death. Its GREAT.

Headlong, defending: jump in a Ghost and head up the dirt ramp to the invisibility corridor straight away. You can always get the invisibility before the attacking team do, and nine times out of ten you can go around the corner to the bridge to their base and run a couple of 'em down, too. You just have to be sure to boost away if you get in trouble so you don't give them a Ghost. But even if you die, you'll prevent one of them from heading ito your base with the cloak, or the bomb carrier being cloaked, etc. A practical example of one of Alex' 'commandments' that's worked every time for me.

Headlong, defending: jump in a Ghost and head up the dirt ramp to the invisibility corridor straight away. You can always get the invisibility before the attacking team do, and nine times out of ten you can go around the corner to the bridge to their base and run a couple of 'em down, too. You just have to be sure to boost away if you get in trouble so you don't give them a Ghost. But even if you die, you'll prevent one of them from heading ito your base with the cloak, or the bomb carrier being cloaked, etc. A practical example of one of Alex' 'commandments' that's worked every time for me.

Exactly. Enemy snipers beware!

i was playing matchmaking ctf the other week on coag and some american kid from the opposing team drove up to me in the hog and kept screaming at me to get in.

i simply ran straight past him up the mountain path and as he drove away shouting abuse at me i pulled out my rocket launcher and toasted the little bastard.

sweet.