Sega-europe.com Is Redesigned.

Djx

Burn out is great, not sure about the others you listed, although outrun 2 was only converted in the UK.

The UK has the best programmers, and two of the best devs in the world with DMA and Rare (even when they're shite, they're still great).

The general rule is that western branches of japanese softcos tend to churn out the most shovelware.

The general rule is that western branches of japanese softcos tend to churn out the most shovelware.

Sega europe is different though isn't it. They had that whole 1.5 party deal pack in the Dreamcast days and that's almost what they're doing now but for multiple consoles.

Outrun 2 was just a conversion, not a difficult one either, as the chiro board is just an XBOX with lots more RAM so it can run the arcade version at higher difficulties. Headhunter is awful.

IMO foreign dev studio's for japanese studios like nintendo, namco, sega etc are not the same. Look at NST, they make soulless updates of nintendo greats. Same with Sonic team USA, and their awful sonic adventure 2 and heroes, NAMCO with dead to rights, Square USA with secret of evermore etc.

Sega are wasting their japanese resources, their creative topguns are either leaving or rumored to be leaving. Although it seems to be just Sega Europe thats trying to do anything decent. Outrun 2 was commissioned by them not SOJ who are like a living zombie right now.

That's a very simplistic way of looking at things.

The problem that Sega, Nintendo, Capcom, Konami and many other developer-publishers have at the moment is that it's taking far more resources to make games than they used to.

Compare the sheer number of self-made games that Sega and Nintendo were able to release on the 8-bit and 16-bit machines to what they've been able to do since 1995 and you understand that they can't just rely on EAD or AM2 to keep the pennies rolling in with the single game every 18-24 months that they can produce. They have to expand and they need to outsource.

I don't think anyone really wants to see the next Daytona being made in Birmingham away from Nagoshi and AV, but we've really got no other choice.

Why should I? You're the biggest dick on the forum who spouts everything he thinks as fact.

pwned.jpg

great pic ;)

I dont spout it as fact, everything here is opinion. Its a discussion forum. I treat it as such. I dont think sega is much of a player anymore, I own loads of their games but they seem to be releasing rushy cash ins right now.

They're changing, but they're confused. What do they stand for now?

Their arcade business is being marginalised. They're raping their back catalogue with half baked remakes, publishing stuff that they'd never touch in the past (noting bad in that).

The 1st year promised much, but they seem to be lost.

Sega aren't confused. I think the catalyst for all this contention is their move into the PC market (beyond budget range shite, that is) which really shows how determined they are to have fingers in many, many pies.

Releasing all those Saturn pads is a good way of raiding their past and getting their brand out there, but like someone else said, sammy seem to just be raping them for everything.

They looked like they were progressing when they released JSRF, orta and even gun valkre (sp) but now they seem to have collapsed like a black hole.

Sega rally 3 shouldnt hopfully be a good sign for the future.

They looked like they were progressing when they released JSRF, orta and even gun valkre (sp) but now they seem to have collapsed like a black hole.

Yes they were progressing by releasing games that were sinking them further into the black hole. Now thanks to some smart decisions they're actually doing much better business wise.

Yes they were progressing by releasing games that were sinking them further into the black hole. Now thanks to some smart decisions they're actually doing much better business wise.

And what of innovation? Believe - the words innovation and Sega will feel further apart than ever before once we've seen the best of this year.

o/\o

Let sega rerelease Sonic for the millionth time. It's smart buisiness thats finally working to offset some of, shall we say, riskier prospects. Sega always have cool stuff brewing somewhere. Give it time.

o/\o

Let sega rerelease Sonic for the millionth time. It's smart buisiness thats finally working to offset some of, shall we say, riskier prospects. Sega always have cool stuff brewing somewhere. Give it time.

Can anyone think of a Sega game they're looking forward to? Apart from the Shining series, I'll have to wait till 2006 just to find out what the hell Phantasy Star Universe is supposed to be. E3 last year was crap for Sega. In recent times, i can think of the Nights mini game in Sega Superstars that excited me.

Sega will eventually find a happy medium but right now, it's all money money money.

o/\o

that's pretty much the way i feel.

They've got some decent titles coming this year too, enough to last people until PSU

I reckon Sega Europe should release Initial D over here. Playing it over XBox live would be cool! Don't know why it's only available on Japanese PS2!

I can't even imaging how stupid a PAL Xbox release of Initial D would be.

Xbox OutRun 2 sold absolutely fuck-all and that was a relatively household name.

So the chances of another arcade conversion, based around an unknown anime title selling well are absolutely naught. The cost of porting and adding the network code would never be recouped.

That would be EXACTLY the sort of thing that Sammy are trying to avoid.

I can't even imaging how stupid a PAL Xbox release of Initial D would be.

Xbox OutRun 2 sold absolutely fuck-all and that was a relatively household name.

So the chances of another arcade conversion, based around an unknown anime title selling well are absolutely naught. The cost of porting and adding the network code would never be recouped.

That would be EXACTLY the sort of thing that Sammy are trying to avoid.

Initial D being released in europe for Xbox (live) isn't stupid. The idea of Sega and their marketing ineptitude releasing it is. And Outrun 2? A household name? Maybe if you're old enough to remember when Outrun was actually important...and we're talking mid 80's here. It's just one of those games people pretend they've played in order to look smart for the entire 5 minutes that the subject lasts in the pub.

And besides all that, who cares? It's never going to happen and everybody this side of sanity knows it without a vaguely informed explanation as to why.

Otogi 1&2, F-Zero GX, Sega Superstars, Sonic Advance series, Super Monkey Ball series, Puyo Pop Fever, Billy Hatcher and Panzer Dragoon Orta were all pretty decent. Feel the Magic was interesting, if slightly cack at points. Also Sega's publishing arm has had the foresight to take on titles like Football Manager and Worms, so it's not as if Sega is stagnating as some of you seem to be suggesting.

Be thankful Sammy stepped in when they did, or you might not even have Sega alive today.

Furthermore, I don't think you can argue that Sega are any more guilty of plundering their back-catalogue than any other fanboy favourite (for example - Nintendo). Sega are still making Sonic games because people want them. Rockstar North are still making GTA games because people want them. Etc. Sega have a huge archive of decent and semi-decent IP to draw upon. Makes sense to use it, especially since none of the little brats buying games is interested in taking a risk on a piece of new IP.

The optimist in me sees the quietest time for sega in many many years a s a sign that they are working on some cool stuff probably for next gen... Let's not forget the DC years where they released groundbreaking product consistently they'll be back and they'll be hitting hard...

The pesimist in me says that the decay and rot that must be rife through sega japan is going to criple the creativity and without a Sega platform most of their employees have lost there sega heart (not helped by being owned by sammy)...

So Mr Suzuki... Leaving confirming the rumors and my pesimistic view... or staying to break the mold a few more times... same goes for you Naka... and the rest pull your fingers out and show us how a brand can be rebuilt on new ideas...

Cheers

Quexex

(Ex sega fanboy - back in the saturn/dc era)

Preacher - of course they're in it for the money, why else would they be a business? To serve us?

Silly comment I'll ignore - by answering!!11

When the different dev studio's were given autonomy, I very much doubt that money was the only thing on their mind. What's fairly obvious to all is that the consolidation of Overworks, UGA etc has lead to their creative juice bags being grabbed by Sammy's enormous hand. Remember, with autonomy came financial autonomy, something Yuji Naka bemoans even to this day. Putting a dev, an artist in charge of money doesn't make great business sense.

In the wake of the fat-handed twats (Sammy) molesting Sega, employees were laid off, some games even abandoned because Sammy bummed Sega to make money - and when the bossman says "no", the creators, the developers, can't say "no" to a "no" - no no no. Indeed, they said "yes" to Sammy's "no" and we all know where that leads

nyoes?

CONFUSION!!!!!!

I still hope Sega have the guts to fire Naka, the talentless hack.

I've no idea what makes you say that, in light of crackers like Nights into Dreams and Phantasy Star Online - still two of my favourite games ever and still getting played in this day and age.