The Apprentice

the_debaser

Paradigm – I concede that my "no merit" comment was too much; I was swung by this week's episode, and forgot that she did indeed do all the selling in the flower task. I still maintain that the favourite colour thing was one of the most cringeworthy pieces of television I've seen, however. She had five minutes to sell her team to the artists, and she spent a good 30 seconds scrabbling around for a piece of paper and reading off each colleague's favourite colour. To demonstrate why they'd be good at selling their art. Now, I know very little about the art world, but I know this kind of 'strategy' is just jaw-droppingly naive. How anyone could think that it was a valid idea is beyond me – mind you, the fact that she'd written them down would suggest that she asked each member, and that nobody told her it was a bad idea, so I guess they're just as much at fault. Also, if Saira had done a better job at schmoozing the artists in the first place, they would have got the product they wanted – rather than having to try and sell art they weren't convinced by.

My main problem with Saira is that I just don't understand how her sales pitch works. I can't deny that she's been successful to an extent, but she strikes me as extremely patronising – and I don't think that would wash with people like Alan Sugar. I can't help but feel that it's going to hinder her more than it helps her in the long run. I guess it comes down to this: I know that if she talked to me like she has talked to a lot of the people on the show (the public, rather than the other team members), I wouldn't be particularly receptive. And if I was in a position of power and she pitched to me like she did last night, I'd be insulted.

As for Paul, it's a strange one. He's much the same, in that he tends to blag his way along. I've really liked him throughout the series, but his attitude and comments last night left a bad taste in my mouth. His whole body language in the initial visits was poor, and I don't think that can have helped – and yes, his sales pitches were poor. His comments about women in general were also particularly ill-advised, I think, and his reaction to being picked for the boardroom wasn't ideal. I can kind of understand it, as I think he was sold down the river as soon as his teammates thought Alan Sugar was singling him out. That said, he went too far – you need to rise above those kind of things in this game; when it comes down to it, you're going to get stabbed in the back at some point along the line.

I agree wholeheartedly with you about that semaphore woman though. She was unbelievable – especially when she took that 'marks out of 100' poll amongst team members (this after asking for their favourite product two or three times before) and decided that a difference of 90 points (or whatever it was) wasn't significant.

Did you guys see the American version with Donald Trump? If not, you should really grab the DVD of the first series if you're enjoying this version. The standard is just as high as this one, and there are a couple of absolutely classic team members with similar "oh god, I can't watch this" moments. Highly recommended.

I can't really believe that the people in this show are genuinely considered to be good business-people. It seems as if they've been chosen because they're arseholes and make the show more interesting, I don't think Sugar actually intends to put the winner in a particularly influential position. I do think he's already picked the winner though, he never seems to be in doubt regarding who to fire. Despite its flaws, it's still one of the best shows on TV at the moment, I'm deffinetly going to order the Trump version soon.

Yeah, I'm finding it riveting stuff. Especially since I work in sales atm.

Saria seems to effortlessly produce cringeworthy moments every episode. At first I wanted her off but the show's more interesting for her presence.

I think it's lots better than the American version which suffered from the over-production you usually get in US reality TV shows.

Oh man, what a hilarious episode. Complete fucking catastrophe. I'll start off by saying I reckon Paul should have gone, but Rachel was equally fucking useless. I know some people don't like Saira, but I do, so I'll just put forward a few things about how I saw this week's ep:

- Compared to the team that won, the losing team did not have any sort of united voice about what they wanted to put forward, and the lack of such a basic thing as a strap was such a hinderance. This was entirely Paul's fault. Saira was saying how they should get an idea of who they're pitching it to and how they'd approach people etc. and he just went off on one about how he saw this advert.

- The advert was fucking dreadful and it was solely done by Paul. This brings me onto another point: Raj was also useless, except he stayed in the shadows so didn't get noticed.

- The advert was the source material for any sort of paper campaign as it's what had been come up with first, and as such its idea was foisted upon the two if they had to create a different campaign but keeping with the trend. The source material was dreadful - who wants to see a picture of a woman with red wine? How saleable is that? Given the time they honestly didn't have a lot more choice.

- Rachel was crap. Saira was, again, telling her to stop fucking around with the brainstorm and start helping her come up with a strap and how to pitch it etc. I saw Rachel being the stubborn one this week: "Oh I have to do this and think up this and this" and none of it was part of the fucking advertising campaign. How useless. But this was also partly Paul's fault, because he just doesn't like either of them so told them to fuck off. Which I can understand but hardly condone.

- It ended up being a load of bollocks and Paul's inability to see why they lost spoke volumes. Utter shite.

Much as Rachel is useless, and has been all series, Paul seriously cannot do anything other than do face-to-face sales, can he? I mean he's great and that and all but he's seriously out of his depth. I'm pretty surprised at how rubbish he is and how he doesn't think things through at all.

Man that episode made me cringe.

Also:

Paul: "I'm a Roman Catholic and God as my witness I shook her hand."

Alan Sugar: "Well I'm Jewish and I don't care."

I laughed so so hard.

I hate Saira. Lying, horrid woman. Both groups results were pretty awful to be fair, but then again none do have a creative background (or do they, haven't really been watching). Saira really was out of her depth in this episode, letting that guy just get on with the advert (and I'm surprised he came up with that result working for such a decent agency)....

That 'presentation' Rachel did was cringeworthy as well, I flicked through the channels and missed most of it thankfully!

I dunno about the Mac guy, I think whatever he did was just pretty awful. You always hear loads of stick from people who do that for a living who moan on about how the clients are overbearing/don't trust them/"I'm a creative artist!" etc. She assumed he'd know his job better than she would as he does it for a living...

To be honest I'd probably have done the same thing.

Wow very close call this week with Impact on their 2nd loss. Paul was a rather poor team leader but then his team mates weren’t brilliant either, you could see them losing this task from a mile off, with such a poor advert and lack lustre poster campaign. Infact people from my A-level Media class can do better! Another thing is that Saira lied in the boardroom about the handshake with Paul and it was blatantly on video at the start of the episode with them shaking hands :D also she totally broke down at the end for some reason? Paul tried to comfort her but she just pushed him away….Time for her to go perhaps.

Wow very close call this week with Impact on their 2nd loss. Paul was a rather poor team leader but then his team mates weren’t brilliant either, you could see them losing this task from a mile off, with such a poor advert and lack lustre poster campaign. Another thing is that Saira lied in the boardroom about the handshake with Paul and it was blatantly on video at the start of the episode with them shaking hands :D also she totally broke down at the end for some reason? Paul tried to comfort her but she just pushed him away….Time for her to go perhaps.

True. No top person in business is so blatent with their emotions as to break down and cry. I hope she goes next, she's doing my fucking head in.

I could have done a better print ad than that in 20 minutes using Paint, and I have zero artistic ability. That 'macman' should be sacked from the advertisers.

I wouldn't be surprised if either Sugar or the TV crew had told him "Be as crap as you can get away with, make them sweat for every ounce of something worth having in there."

Alan Sugar said Saira was a good talker - bull shit, she talks about the same thing over and over, boring dull - rubbish.

Also when Paul went on about being a Christian la de da - "I'm jewish and don't give a toss" (along those lines). - brilliant.

Haha! This time it was so amazingly one-sided it was untrue. Pauls team did NOTHING right. I think Paul would have gone had it not been for the fact Rachel put 'advertising' down on her CV. And that pitch was cringeworthy. When she started dancing...

I mean jesus, what was wrong with her? That team was absolutley awful, but by the look of it this week they're shaking up the teams again.

And I know Raj was useless, but at least he didn't manage to fuck something up like everyone else in his team.

All of that team need to go for being shite. I can't see any one of them winning with that shadow hanging over them. Outclassed in such a way it hurts.

But that pitch... with the dancing... and the collage... 'tis the stuff nightmares are made of.

combined with the print ad. And the TV ad. It's beyond words.

actually that's why sara was cryng. She's realised that she can never win now.

What I want to know is: how do they do the contest when they are down to 4 or fewer people? What happened in the american version?

All of that team need to go for being shite. I can't see any one of them winning with that shadow hanging over them. Outclassed in such a way it hurts.

But that pitch... with the dancing... and the collage... 'tis the stuff nightmares are made of.

What I want to know is: how do they do the contest when they are down to 4 or fewer people? What happened in the american version?

Aye, even when she was on the losing team before she was able to shine because people around her were being mediocre. This week she had a load of shit lumped on her and it made not a bit of difference. And then had the only other female on her team get fired when Paul really should have been. I can understand it.

I too am intrigued about how it'll work out. Will they just... collage the teams and make it into one unit? Would seem logical if there's 8 or so of them. Then the project manager would have to manage more people and the task would be bigger. And hopefully even more interesting.

My god the dancing!I almost forgot her dancing.The collage was bad enough but that was awful.You can see why Sugar would want to not emply her.

I'm really enjoying this too. Was it me, or did there seem some mystery about the Sellotaped press ad? I was picturing an furious Paul tearing the thing apart, maybe some extra content for the DVD?

Looking forward to this Weeks - I think that Saira, Paul or Sebastian will be ousted.

Doesn't Sebastian look like a model from the 80's stuck in a time-warp? It's his yuppie hair, sharp good looks and bright grin. Ben is cute but none of them are particularily strong candidates. Maybe except Miriam (shudder), James or Tim.

I can't find the American DVD (Region 2) version on Play, and it doesn't seem available on Amazon. Does anyone else have it? Was it ever shown on BBC?

kt

Doesn't Sebastian look like a model from the 80's stuck in a time-warp?

Ha, he is just the Patrick Bateman stereotype isnt he?

As for the american version, It was on BBC2 a while ago, but some how I found it boring in comparison. any bets for tonight loser? I'm going with......

Sebastian. He'll not be able to stay in the background forever.

Well I guess most of us saw that coming, first forte got totally killed again and from the very start when Saira picked her team I knew they would lose. Raj and Sebastian were and still are pretty useless and obviously bad picks. Also in the boardroom Raj decided not to mention the fact it was Sairas fault for getting all the 'clutter' from Paul McKenna in the first place even though he was under fire from Sir Alan.

It was great to see Sir Alan seperate Saira and Paul too, only adds to the fun. I hope Paul's team spanks Saira's again next week :blink:

Saira needs to be booted as soon as possible - i cant stand the way she talks to people, shes very condescending but hasnt done anything to suggest shes better than anyone else.

Rather horribly, I have a feeling she's going to win it. Sugar seems to like her :unsure:

She's just awful, awful, awful. He seems to like her because she's mouthy, but that just makes me want to punch her. She never takes responsibility. Grrrrrrrr. Both Raj and Sebastian were crap though - just totally wet sideline characters.

Oh, and I think the girl who was chatting up Michael Winner is the best. Possibly.