IGNORED

Tell Me A Bit About World Of Warcraft

Hello Goaty ♥

I'm a dwarf hunter - and I didn't think to consider fighting more than one enemy when replying. But certainly, one to one, i can click once and then sit back and watch the fight unfold with the same move attack - or get stuck in and actively change the direction of the fight. Is it a setting? "Oneclick Battles" or something?

You're not playing this right at all.

I'm a hunter and I'm constantly juggling moves, the battles are constantly involving. This is a basic 1-on-1 fight for me: First I send my pet off to attack the enemy, then I stun it with a Concussion Shot while it's being attacked, followed by Serpents Sting to poisen the enemy and an Arcane Shot to do some meaty damage.

From then on I fire a few more arrows until the enemy it realises I'm the one that's the bigger threat, and it turns to me. Then I use the raptor strike attack and attack it using my normal attacks while it recharges.

This isn't even starting with some of the 'aspect' spells, other moves you can only perform when parrying/dodging, and also the numerous moves my pet can learn/perform. And I'm only level 16, there is plenty more for me to learn yet. If you're only right clicking the enemy, you wont get far, nor will you get much enjoyment out of the game.

But hey, I don't really like RPGs and this is my first MMORPG. What I described may sound complicated and intimidating to a newcomer but really it comes naturally as you learn progressively while the enemies get more challening and you learn more abilities. It's very easy to pull off thanks to the in-game toolbar allowing you to set every move to a number key.

Oh, and why does WoW look like Future Tactics...but online? Dreary and bland.

It's one of those 'naff in screenshots, stunning in motion' games. I thought the graphics were crap, and then I played it....and I tell you, I'm consistantly amazed by how stunning the world Blizzard have created is.

What's CoH?

I really want to get into this...when I get me house in July. But I fear I won't do anything but stay in. Then again...that's all I need to do really, and work (in a shop!). Until October anyway. ;)

City Of Heroes from NCSoft... The real challenge will be creating a character that doesn't rip-off a current Marvel or DC hero.

I've only been playing for 2 days and already I'm convinced. The gameplay is excellent, much more rewarding than other RPGs and very suited to people with little time to play.

How can you argue with this:

second14.jpg

second37.jpg

See my thread The Adventures of Jigsaw in the Online folder for a little account in piccies like the above, of everything I've seen in just a weekend of playing. It's bloody fab I'm telling ya, loads to do and you don't even need to party with people if you prefer to play with yourself, and we know you do Goaty ;)

You're not playing this right at all. 

You are, of course, spot on here. And it's something I've come to learn over the weekend when levelling from 5 to 10. Friday afternoon's Graham would be laughed at by monday morning's Graham. So I can only presume thats what everyone else did as well.

Still, you gotta learn somewhere, hey?

Bah, after over two days of game time, fuck all sleep, an angry girlfriend, a messy office and all other things put on hold I've come to realise that this is a game that is amazing put also a destroyer of lives.

As much as it pains me to do so I have to stop playing :o If I was unemployed or still a student it'd be a different story though...

Bah, after over two days of game time, fuck all sleep, an angry girlfriend, a messy office and all other things put on hold I've come to realise that this is a game that is amazing put also a destroyer of lives.

As much as it pains me to do so I have to stop playing :D If I was unemployed or still a student it'd be a different story though...

Yeah, this is a life destroying game - it's that good.

I've been playing for 10 days and of that nearly 4 whole days have been on WoW (as I was shocked, but not entirely surprised, to find out when I last used the /played command). NOT good, although it has been exceptionally good fun. This must rank as about the best experience I've had with any online game. Perhaps the choice of an RP server, and because there are separate EU servers (so there's no Americans calling you a "nigger" and/or "fag" every 20 seconds), has helped as I have come across almost no griefers.

If you're unemployed, self-employed or a student with nothing better to do that watch Trisha then go for it. If you have to work, manage a realtionship and live a normal life then I'd sadly have to recommend avoiding it. It's designed to be friendly to the casual player - and it is. But it's so damn addictive that I can't imagine there are very many "casual players".

And I thought Robotron was addictive :o

Sorry to hijack, and I have asked the same in ask the forum but do any of you guys know when the collectors edition is hitting shops over here? It wasn’t available on release day yet the Blizzard press release claims it should have been.

Can somebody explain what this whole separation of serer types thing is about? I presume Player vs. Environment lets you go out and kill monstesrs, Player vs. player lets you go and kill other players, but what does a roleplaying server alow (or not allow) you to do?

Can somebody explain what this whole separation of serer types thing is about? I presume Player vs. Environment  lets you go out and kill monstesrs, Player vs. player lets you go and kill other players, but what does a roleplaying server alow (or not allow) you to do?

A Role Play server is just a normal PvE server but with people who (ostensibly) want to "be their characters". It sounds dreadful but in reality it's mainly a refuge for those wanting to get away from the l33t speak and ganking of normal servers.

You get the occasional "Verily thou are a stout dwarf" comment but just /bow or /salute and make you escape if you can't handle the real hardcore RP'ers (of which there don't seem to be all that many). As long as you don't talk OOC (out of character) in the General Message channel then nobody really seems to care.

On PvE and RP servers the Player Vs Player component is entirely optional. You have a flag that marks you either as PvP enabled or disabled. If you don't want to fight other players, you don't have to and if you do want to fight your fellow players then you can just turn on your PvP flag.

• 5 years later...

Scary.

I tried WoW for a month, got bored of it by level 12. All the talk about guild politics and level 60+ nonsense put the tin hat on it - zzzzzzzzzzzzz. Mind you, even in my first month I could see why people might want to sit and play it for so long. It's no wonder it's a money-making machine for Blizzard.

If you didn't get on with it, it's worth checking out again in 6-8 months, when the new expansion comes out. Cataclysm is pretty much completely remaking the 1-60 experience, and bringing it up to date with the newer stuff, so about now is the last chance you'll get to play the early levels in the same way people did 5 years ago. I quit a few months ago, but I'll probably check it out again to see the changes once Cataclysm hits. A substantial overhaul of the old content is definitely what the game needs.

If you didn't get on with it, it's worth checking out again in 6-8 months, when the new expansion comes out. Cataclysm is pretty much completely remaking the 1-60 experience, and bringing it up to date with the newer stuff, so about now is the last chance you'll get to play the early levels in the same way people did 5 years ago. I quit a few months ago, but I'll probably check it out again to see the changes once Cataclysm hits. A substantial overhaul of the old content is definitely what the game needs.

I recently posted about that in the WoW folder on here; I was told by a few people not to expect anything from it for people that didn't "get" WoW the first time round.