Oldboy

stephen129

Wow, just watched this after wanting to see it for a long long time.

I recommend you all go and watch it.

However I was just wondering if someone could explain the certain bits to me, it was pretty confusing.

Click For Spoiler
What was this whole thing about the hyponotist and the Monster daesu and the normal one?

Is he a scitzoprhenic and whats all this about the window?

Also he spread a rumour about that guy that he slept with his sister or something?

Probably sounds like I haven't seen this film at all, but I'm pretty tired so I didn't catch all of it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

(oh and I have check IMDB)

Best film I saw last year. Love the fight scene in the corridor. Actually quiet funny in places too.

I've heard some crazy rumours of a Hollywood remake with Nicolas Cage on board. I imagine it's going to be toned down somewhat.

Best film I saw last year. Love the fight scene in the corridor. Actually quiet funny in places too.

I've heard some crazy rumours of a Hollywood remake with Nicolas Cage on board. I imagine it's going to be toned down somewhat.

Yeah.

Its insane.

They make a film in 2003, its really popular, then they want to remake it 3 years later in 2006.

That is crazy.

And extremely annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched it. I don't know what to say. It's like a postmodern Saló.

Really upsetting, I thought. I didn't enjoy it in the least, and it's one of a few movies that have made me feel dirty once they're finished, but I'm glad I've seen it.

I've never felt so angry watching a movie as I did when Daeusu is on his knees, pathetic, broken and servile, begging for forgiveness for something he didn't even do! I thought he'd at LEAST bullied the guy or something, but he's apologising for 'impregnating' the guy's sister by circulating rumours that her brother, this twisted fuck, was basically raping her through her formative years. And then he cuts out his own tongue with a pair of scissors.

Ghastly.

"Very believable or as sick or potent as Auditon or Ichi, or as important as Battle Royale. "

Feel free to explain why two throwaway films like audition or ichi are "potent" and neither are even remotely believable... also since when has being sick been a good thing?

Justify, kids!

Explanation:

Audition isn't throwaway. It's a masterpiece.

Ichi is utter rubbish. However, I'd rather watch Ichi again, than watch Old Boy again despite the fact the latter is a better film - it still bored me.

And why am I talking about the "sick" aspect of these films?

The tongue cutting bit in Old Boy was blatantly intended to shock. But it was utterly unecessary. I was rolling my eyes at the whole thing. I couldnt believe the main character would have reacted with anything but anger towards that sister-banging sonofabitch. It just felt like a segment which was put in to cause controversy, but after Ichi it just seemed tame.

Also I'm not quite sure what Old Boy was trying to say on an intellectual level. The film just seemed empty. It did nothing for me.

Audition is blatantly more believable than Old Boy. Whilst Ichi is just crazy so that's not really an issue.

Hmm, when you say "its a masterpiece" that doesnt mean anything. It means someone told you it was such and you just regurgitated it.

As for the tongue cut, it is intended to shock.. of course it is. Its not done for no reason, he cuts his tongue most obviously as a sacrifice to stop woojin from making the girl open the box.. he cuts his tongue because its his tongue that made here pregnant. That is so deeply integrated into the rest of the movie, its hardly contrived to cause controversy. Audition is believable, if you dont watch the last twenty minutes

Try watching the movie again..

I'm sorry I stopped listening to you when you claimed my opinion was "regurgitated".

Another classic. But seriously though you obviously read the whole post.. if you cant respond to it you perhaps want something like "yeah, i am a bit of a twat but I love games forums. sorry for how much of a prick I am"

While I do feel Audition is brilliant I must admit I'd much rather rewatch Old Boy, it's so imaginatively filmed that even if you don't get gripped by the plot you can still get engaged visually - some of the editing is fantastic.

Audition, while a great film, I do find pretty empty, too dry to make it rewatachable - whereas Old Boy has such an energy to it I find it consistantly entertaining.

I disagree that the tounge-cutting was gratuitous and intended to shock, it was the cutting of Dae-Su's tounge that persuaded whatshisname to spare his Daughter from opening the box, by removing his tounge he removed the tool that 'impregnated his sister' with it's rumours. If you watch it again you'll find that several times the tounge is referenced, and you'll also notice many more subtle details now you know what's coming. It holds up extremely well to repeat viewing, the story rewards it.

I thought he'd at LEAST bullied the guy or something, but he's apologising for 'impregnating' the guy's sister by circulating rumours that her brother, this twisted fuck, was basically raping her through her formative years. And then he cuts out his own tongue with a pair of scissors

I forget now but was she pregnant ITFP or think she was pregnant by the rumours or was pregnant by her brother or by Dansues fat fuck freind?

Rumours started that she was pregnant not long after Dae-Su began said she was easy. After listening to the rumours for so long, she begins to believe them herself, and develops an (apparently real) mental condition wherein the mind tricks the body into showing the symptons of pregnancy (morning sickness etc.). Or at least that's what her brother claims.

My favorite thing about it was that it looked sloppy in the way of a real fight, punches miss, Dae-Su actually gets the shit beat out of him, and people genuinely seem to be in pain.

That fact it was all one take, with little touches like the way Dae-Su tripped over the bit of wood that someone snapped about a minute earlier in the same take, who then throws the other half of said wood and misses his head by mere inches - I thought it was all either impeccably reharsed or incredibly lucky.

I can't decided whether they practiced for days on end or just ran with it each time it was filmed, a bit different each time, and used the best one. Your right the knife probably would've killed him, but then again it's not the most sensible film to begin with is it?