Oldboy

stephen129

Seriously, it's about whether it's morally right/acceptable to live on happily in ignorance of the events and the true relationship between Dae-su and Mi-do, or whether it's better to know the truth even though that would completely devastate Mi-do. The film ends on the notion that ignorance may be bliss in this case, and we assume the sexual relationship between father and daughter will continue.

But the hypnotism didn't work.. you mean we assume the sexual relationship will continue because he wants to protect his daughter from the truth and from hurt? Or because he likes it?!?

I thought the ending was pretty dark as it was definitely left unclear whether the undoing of the hypnosis worked. I think Odae Soo wanted both himself and his daughter to never realise what happened. Better to live in ignorance than in pain. Great movie anyway. Sympathy for Mr Vengeance didn't really click with me the same way.

But the hypnotism didn't work.. you mean we assume the sexual relationship will continue because he wants to protect his daughter from the truth and from hurt? Or because he likes it?!?

Yes - ignorance on the part of the daughter certainly and possibly[/] on the part of Dae-su, but it's left unclear. That's why the ending is so controversial and unpalatable to some.