Re4 - Widescreen Mode Not Discovered.

Frankie Lee

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, and I'm not browsing through 80p threads to find out; but last night I started the game and decided to hold down the red button to see if I got a PS option, when low-and-behold the game mounts up in widescreen! Looked through the manual and there was no mention of it, and noticed that Edge said there was no option for it either. Maybe I've got my wires crossed, but I thought some people might be interested.

Edit: Topic Title

Yes, more details please.

Holding 'B' at the GameCube logo results in the progressive scan option being displayed, to which I always say yes.

When were you holding B and did you receive any prompts?

It's worth noting that unless you have a component video cable plugged into your Cube you will NOT be prompted about progressive scan regardless of how hard you hold the B button.

linkster: my copy has always booted in letterbox format too, but it's a 4:3 letter box format, rather than a proper 16:9 letterbox format. By that I mean it's using 360 scan lines rather than 480 (or whatever). This is without this "holding B" technique, of course, which may or may not do something worthwhile.

linkster: my copy has always booted in letterbox format too, but it's a 4:3 letter box format, rather than a proper 16:9 letterbox format. By that I mean it's using 360 scan lines rather than 480 (or whatever).

Indeed, so using the ZOOM function on your TV, you can make it full-screen (interlaced, but in proportion.)

I got it with my scart plugged in...

But most people with a modded ntsc rgb scart cable will have a component 'plug' for the digital port. Can't see how this would translate in a proper widescreen image on a non prog scan tv though, but I'm certainly going to try this.

To confirm.

I was holding down the red button from the moment I put the disc into tray (after being prompted by Freeloader 1.6b). I can't tell if it's really widescreen or not because my telly is only 4:3, but I suspect it's really only letterboxed. Still I prefer that to just 4:3 so I thought others might like to know.

To confirm.

I was holding down the red button from the moment I put the disc into tray (after being prompted by Freeloader 1.6b). I can't tell if it's really widescreen or not because my telly is only 4:3, but I suspect it's really only letterboxed. Still I prefer that to just 4:3 so I thought others might like to know.

Hang on, you have a 4:3 tv? then you would always have gotten a letterboxed image wouldn't you?

Indeed, so using the ZOOM function on your TV, you can make it full-screen (interlaced, but in proportion.)

Ah, I see. I didn't feel the need to use that (it's called Cinema on my TV, I find it useful for TCM movies as it hides the logo at the top of the screen). Still, worth knowing.

This whole topic is a source of much confusion to me. I don't understand why Capcom didn't make it so that it uses up the whole screen if you have a widescreen telly. I mean, what else have I got a widescreen telly for? I have to zoom, which although I'm now used it, isn't as crisp an image as in 4:3 with borders.

I know it was an artistic decision, and if I had a large 4:3 telly I'd probably appreciate it, but it's a bit poo if you ask me.

This whole topic is a source of much confusion to me. I don't understand why Capcom didn't make it so that it uses up the whole screen if you have a widescreen telly. I mean, what else have I got a widescreen telly for? I have to zoom, which although I'm now used it, isn't as crisp an image as in 4:3 with borders.

I know it was an artistic decision, and if I had a large 4:3 telly I'd probably appreciate it, but it's a bit poo if you ask me.

Many DVD movies are the same, they have an aspect ratio that differs from 16:9. if you're going for a cinematic approach then I guess it makes sense.

The only reason for not supporting an anamorphic widescreen mode (as well as the existing mode for people with 4:3 tellies who don't have a telly option to squash anamorphic pictures to the correct format) must be technical. I assume they get a performance boost for having to output less lines of picture.*

*I know nothing about Gamecube programming.

Well the obvious answer is that the cube couldn't handle that much stuff with a full widescreen mode.

I suspect it may also have been for technical reasons in that for proper 16:9 widescreen they'd have to draw X number of lines more and it already looks like they're pushing the GC pretty hard as it is. By making it 4:3 letterboxed they don't have to draw in the letterboxes thus can do more with the screen space they have left.

Sorry for my complete lack of tech know how but that's how I read it..