Re4 - Widescreen Mode Not Discovered.

Frankie Lee

So how does this work again?

I just tried it on my JAP cube holding down B before turning the power on and on my PAL cube holding down B before putting freeloader in and keeping it held down. Then i tried holding down B after it said 'insert disc'.

Didn't get any message at all.

Jesus christ, what have I started?

Normally when I play RE4 it's in 4:3 ratio, but for some reason last night it was letterboxed and I assumed that it was the result of me holding down the red button while the game loaded. Maybe I'm wrong and should have kept my mouth shut, but I thought it might interest people. I'm sorry if I didn't stop playing the game, take the cube into another telly and try it there/buy a Jap copy to see if that worked/buy a PS telly to see if that worked/try it again with my socks off, or whatever.

Jeez.

Jesus christ, what have I started?

Normally when I play RE4 it's in 4:3 ratio, but for some reason last night it was letterboxed and I assumed that it was the result of me holding down the red button while the game loaded. Maybe I'm wrong and should have kept my mouth shut, but I thought it might interest people. I'm sorry if I didn't stop playing the game, take the cube into another telly and try it there/buy a Jap copy to see if that worked/buy a PS telly to see if that worked/try it again with my socks off, or whatever.

Jeez.

Don't worry, it's just that there is no fullscreen 4:3 mode. It should appear letterboxed on any 4:3 telly, so there is some confusion. I'm still not sure how you were playing it fullscreen on a 4:3 tv really.

Frankie, did you press a 'widescreen' button too on your tv remote, which 'squashed' the screen so that you thought it was widescreen? Some 4:3 tvs have that button (JVC for example). Maybe you pressing the red B button caused your tv to switch to 'widescreen' automatically? (because of PS functionality under that button)

Seems like the solution for this confusion to me.

Well the obvious answer is that the cube couldn't handle that much stuff with a full widescreen mode.

Widescreen TV resolution is exactly the same as 4:3 resolution.

Putting it simply, in widescreen mode the pixels are just "rectangular" rather than square.

Widescreen TV resolution is exactly the same as 4:3 resolution.

Putting it simply, in widescreen mode the pixels are just "rectangular" rather than square.

But RE4 is not in either of those modes: it's in letterboxed 4:3 and has correspondingly less resolution.

I find the pereption that capcom chose to letterbox RE4 due to the gamecube being unable to handle it otherwise slightly irritating. Would you apply the same logic to Beyond Good and Evil?

Yeah, probably because thay had to get it running on the PS2 as well to a comparable degree. And I would say RE4 is pushing the cube harder than BG+E as lovely as that is. Capcom themselves said they had to cut things back to keep things steady on the cube. Let's face it, if they could have had a full WS option and kept the frame rate up, do you think they would have shunned it for this instead?

I find the pereption that capcom chose to letterbox RE4 due to the gamecube being unable to handle it otherwise slightly irritating. Would you apply the same logic to Beyond Good and Evil?

I don't think that's their official line. I thought it was for artistic reasons?

Anyway, it's not a biggie in the face of the game's sheer quality. Next time though, fullscreen please!