Now That's Just Really, Really Annoying

squirtle

Well, just tried again. PGR2, Riddick and RSC2. None of the them worked. Tried all sorts of combos and nothing.

I have copied both PGR2 and Riddick to a memory card in the past with no problems whatsoever. Maybe you should try a different card. Are you using all official hardware?

It's not hard but its a bloody pain in the arse as you have to deal with all sorts of standard requirements. A very good reason not to bother is that MS have only sold 4 memory cards ever.

I bought one....

I can explain. My dad was going to the states: 'Hey Dad, pick me up one of those new fangled MS Xbox thingies, you'd best get me a 2nd controller and a mem card'.

Within 10 seconds of setting the thing up, realisation dawned. Bugger!

This is what I don't get:

MS go to the trouble of designing perfectly functional memory cards. Memory cards you can trust your very Live account to, and freely move said account around with. And yet, not only do developers not bother supporting it in-game, they're allowed to prevent you copying your saves using the dashboard.

I think only one PS2 title did this (TimeSplitters) before everyone realised it was a really fucking stupid idea.

I have copied both PGR2 and Riddick to a memory card in the past with no problems whatsoever. Maybe you should try a different card. Are you using all official hardware?

Have you then copied that save on to another Xbox and had the save work? As i said, some games work fine, others don't.

It's a stupid situation really. Two Xbox consoles, both with ethernet ports, yet I can't get save games from console A to console B. Ridiculous!

It's made worse by the fact that (a) some games have saves that are too big to fit on the official memory cards and (B) some developers (like Tecmo) flag their saves not to allow copying to / from memory cards.

Amazed they haven't addressed these problems in dashboard updates.

Isn't the action of saving to a memory card a completely self contained synchronous action? The console tells you "don't do anything whilst I'm busy". It shouldn't need to monitor any peripherals other than the memory card (and the NMI relating to the power) during the actual write.

I've no doubt over simplified it massively but I genuinely would have thought that in the case of a console you could get away with "suspend everything else whilst I'm busy" behaviour.

If the manufacturers are going to be so strict about product qualification regarding saving, why don't they provide the library themselves?

Squirtle all of the games you mention transfer fine from xbox to xbox via a memory (trust me, I've tranfered them all via an official memory card). Sounds like a dodgy memory card.

To be fair there is only a minute number of Xbox games which cannot be transfered, but when it does happen (e.g. Mashed) it is extremely frustrating and there is often little excuse not to implement the feature on Xbox (as you don't actually have to support it in game, just ensure that from the dashboard the option to copy is availble which is a very simple and painless procedure).

The gamecube has one such title which offends liks this too, which is F-zero that has something to do with the arcade version of the game.