IGNORED

Breaking Through Your Barriers

Popo

Think of the situation. You're playing Ikaruga and get to a level where there's just so many enemies and attacks coming your way that you die faster than you could react.

"No way, I'll never be able to react fast enough to do that!"

You practise and practise untill one day you zip past them all and obliterate them into a million fucking pieces. A personal triumph; a barrier you thought impassable brought down by your own perseverence and skill; a visible marker of how much better you're getting.

I just had one of my own. Playing DDR and my own barrier rests at about 5 feet.

(Tracks are measured in 'feet' - the more feet, the harder it is to do; ranging from 1 to 8, the hardest end of the scale)

I've more or less got the hang of most of the 5 feet tracks, but need to move on to 6 before I can really begin to progress. I try a few out - all of them blitz me in a hail of arrows and I'm left utterly perplexed.

"No fucking way! The human body just can't move like that!"

Finally, I settle on a track I really like and is causing me particular problems and decide to cane it as hard as possible untill it clicks or I break something

The track - Tsugaru; 6 feet.

The challenge? A technique known to DDR players as 'trotting' - where arrows come up so close together that the player has to move their feet so fast that they sound as if they are trotting. Difficult because not only are there a lot of arrows condensed into a small amount of space meaning it's difficult to see what's next and follow the rhythm, but also because moving ones body that quickly without falling is a challenge in itself.

So I try hard - try to follow the arrows, try to follow the rhythm of the track. I even sit down and just lisiten to it on repeat for hours, really getting a feel for the flow. Usually learning a new technique in DDR is half the battle and once you've got it down it can be transfered to other tracks - trotting doesn't dissapoint and is as difficult to learn as it is impressive to watch.

Then - this afternoon - this very afternoon - it clicked.

"FUCK YES!" It's only a 'C' rating that I get, but having not failed the track is reward enough - I know the technique has clicked and I can never go back to not being able to do it again. It's now so difficult to imagine not being able to do it - the whole process comes as naturally as all the other steps and techniques I've picked up along the way. I then get up to a B rating, with only a handful of steps out of place. I'm elated.

I just can't express how amazing it is to see yourself get better at something you really enjoy. Never mind the fact that I almost twisted my left ankle and now it hurts like hell - these moments are what make games so amazing.

I'm not done yet though - there are more tracks I need to learn and more steps. Maybe one day I'll be able to clear Max 300 - the hardest track in Dancing Stage Euromix 2? Yea, right! The human body just can't move that fast!

<_<

Gitaroo Man. The defense sections specifically. I think I'm up to level four, flying through space or something and the defense section is really pissing me off. At first I thought it was my wireless controller being laggy but I'm just as crap with the wired one. The problem is that many of the inputs converge with the centre of the cross at the same time and because I use my thumb for the buttons I just can't do it! I've never been one for pressing controller buttons with my fingers, even in fighting games.

Gitaroo bastard!

Someone needs to get their facts straight about DDR.

The tracks actually range in difficult from 1 foot to (technically) 11 feet.

There is 1 foot, 2 feet, 3 feet, 4 feet, 5 feet, 6 feet, 7 feet, 8 feet, 9 feet, 10 feet and then flashing 10 feet (or 11 foot)

And MAX300 isn't that hard, it's a fast song... but that's all it is, fast. The step layout is rediculously simple, you just have to learn how to move your feet that fast.

another vote for gitaroo man here. in master's play, on the mojo mojo mojo king bee level, i was completely and utterly stuck, on and off, for aaaaages. i probably sat down 4 or 5 times and said 'RIGHT.... this time i am SITTING HERE UNTIL I'VE DONE IT' (as you do on stuff like this) over a period of about a year: it was that hard i couldn't even bring myself to play it more often than every couple of months.

earlier this semester, i just cracked it... got nearer and nearer until i hit that beautiful final bit with the screeching guitars with my health bar flashing (this bit isn't that hard even on masters play) and on to the fucking FINAL NOTE...... and it all went tits up.... OH NO

'c'mon man.....' [mojo]

i was so fucking pissed.... but i had cracked it. i reached that moment that i knew i could do it, that you said you had. beat it a couple of tries later, and boy was it sweet.

now for the fucking shark......

Someone needs to get their facts straight about DDR.

The tracks actually range in difficult from 1 foot to (technically) 11 feet.

There is 1 foot, 2 feet, 3 feet, 4 feet, 5 feet, 6 feet, 7 feet, 8 feet, 9 feet, 10 feet and then flashing 10 feet (or 11 foot)

And MAX300 isn't that hard, it's a fast song... but that's all it is, fast. The step layout is rediculously simple, you just have to learn how to move your feet that fast.

My bad. Although I'm sure whether or not Max 300 is or isn't the hardest song is a matter of opinion, all depending on how you play.

My bad. Although I'm sure whether or not Max 300 is or isn't the hardest song is a matter of opinion, all depending on how you play.

Well I mean it's a well known fact that Paranoia Survivor Max Oni is the hardest song in DDR anyway.

The moment I can think of is AA'ing my first ever 8* on IIDX (it was Nebula Grasper 7k on 8th Style) and then a whole bundle of other moments playing IIDX. Also getting a 97k on Elegy Hyper on Pop'n Music 10, fuck me my hands hurt like a bastard after that.

Expert 7 on SMB really was something that I thought was impossible, but after sitting down one night and going through it over and over for a couple of hours I finally did it. Had another go straight after and did it again. That right there was the elation after knowing it wasn't a fluke.

After watching some of those incredible SMB videos going round the net I set myself a new challenge. Not to do Expert 7 quite as fast as they do, but certainly to miss out the first section by jumping straight onto the platform on the right, and I finally cracked it the other night. Orgasmic is not the word!

Gitaroo Man. The defense sections specifically. I think I'm up to level four, flying through space or something and the defense section is really pissing me off. At first I thought it was my wireless controller being laggy but I'm just as crap with the wired one. The problem is that many of the inputs converge with the centre of the cross at the same time and because I use my thumb for the buttons I just can't do it! I've never been one for pressing controller buttons with my fingers, even in fighting games.

Gitaroo bastard!

Heh, the prime example. It's a game that everyone in my house has been playing- and a game everyone in my house has swore at at some point. But sure enough, you practice and each level just clicks. I haven't had it long, but level 4 had me stumped for a couple of days: "How the fuck could anybody hit the buttons that fast in the right order?". Then after a few goes, you totally storm the level and wonder how you never did it in the first place.

I'm stuck on the skeleton level now, so I'll be playing that a little more later on. Incredible game.

Now just realising a barrier that I'll have to pass right at this very minute.

dj SIMON course on Pop'n

it all goes fine up until 312 Stars Hyper, then my lifebar goes sharply down hill... might have to get some bones removed in my hand so I can let them stretch to such painful angles.

DoA has a fantastic survival mode, no loading!

Yeah, the Survival mode in Dreamcast DOA2 is one of the few things in that game I like more than Soul Calibur. Scoring points and bashing them into walls is much more interesting and spectacular than just counting the number of wins.

I'm stuck on the skeleton level now, so I'll be playing that a little more later on. Incredible game.

I had massive problems with the skeletons the first few times, I think that half the problem is that you can't see any way out, and that you're going to be blocking forever. It gets much better when you get the gitaroo back in your hands.

I had massive problems with the skeletons the first few times, I think that half the problem is that you can't see any way out, and that you're going to be blocking forever. It gets much better when you get the gitaroo back in your hands.

I keep getting up the the bit where you alternate quicky between the /\ and X buttons and then between O and [], but then I fail miserably :( Still, it's one of those great games where it's entirely your fault if you fuck up, so it keeps you playing until you crack it. I've got to say though, that campfire level is superb :lol:

P.S. Gitaroo Man - £8.99 Delivered